10228 - Haunted House

Jeff Mack

Modular or not?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider the Haunted House a modular house?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe with some modifications.

That's a way better deal! At the former, my wife's yoga pants are $70+

The set's been retired less than a year and is already skyrocketing. I'd be with mfortunek on this set continuing to go up. I recently found some deals on used GE FB and TH sets. She tried to scold me for that last one especially. "As soon as I Bricklink the missing parts I can turn around and immediately make $50+ (after fees)" "But we're not going to sell it" "Why not?" "Because we're keeping it" Hah! She gave me permission to get CC GG and this one if I can find good deals on those, too. HH is in good company.

Your wife probably looks better in yoga pants than after eating a cheesecake, every time you buy Lego. ;)

• Like 2

I so need to break down and get one of these to build.  Was always hoping I would find a beat up box one on ebay but not much luck.  When I got back into lego about 2 years ago I told myself I wanted one of those for the family to build.   I keep putting it off but as soon as I pick one up Disney will commit to making the Haunted Mansion.

I wouldn't put it off (just my two cents here), I would probably pick one up pronto (like before Labor Day).  For these reasons:

1) Monster minifigs are about to be all the rage when they hit the general population on 9/1.

2) That in turn is going to stir up the Lego/Halloween connection and the undisputed heavyweight champ of that division is the HH.

3) Holiday season comes right on the heels of Halloween and prices sure aren't going to be going down then.

4) This set (HH) was readily available last Halloween and last Christmas at MSRP (what I've read, not my personal observations), so this is its first seasonal "affect". It has already hit 2.5 times MSRP before its first Halloween as a retired product.  How is it going to do anything but climb?

5) This is a set that is going to be opened, and built, and played with. Most of the people who are going to shell out big money for it (and believe me there are a LOT - they just don't know it yet) are likely going to open it up and build it. It just screams out "build me!"  It is going to become more and more scarce as a NIB set.

Like I said, I'm new to this, but I just can't see any other future for the HH but a very, very bright one...

Edited by mfortunek
  • Like 1

This set (HH) was readily available last Halloween and last Christmas at MSRP (what I've read, not my personal observations), so this is its first seasonal "affect". It has already hit 2.5 times MSRP before its first Halloween as a retired product.  How is it going to do anything but climb?

This did not make it to Halloween...Many thought it would...

Edited by dcdfan
  • Like 2

Yup.  My tale of woe in regards to this set involved waiting until Oct. when I could get double VIP points and the X-mas theme.  I didn't get them. I didn't get the Haunted House. Now I'm sad. Now I'm hoping for a re-release. 

Edited by scuttfarkas
  • Like 1

ahhhh. Good to know. Brickset says it was still available on Lego SAH through the end of the year, but like I said I was oblivious...

wish I'd emerged six months earlier. I would have bought a dozen of these things! 

Not that anyone's asking, but I see some strong parallels between 10228 and the new Ninjago Temple of Airjitzu. I'm going in BIG on that one. 

ahhhh. Good to know. Brickset says it was still available on Lego SAH through the end of the year, but like I said I was oblivious...

wish I'd emerged six months earlier. I would have bought a dozen of these things! 

Not that anyone's asking, but I see some strong parallels between 10228 and the new Ninjago Temple of Airjitzu. I'm going in BIG on that one. 

Brickset only quotes the (more or less) official available dates. A few people found a box or two at retail after Halloween but by and large they disappeared in September if memory serves but it was sold out early on S@H and never came back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I missed out on the HH for myself last year, was able to pickup 5 at the time but just got a used one on eBay for $325 which I think was ok considering.

Definitely okay!  This set is awesome.  Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet and shell out the money for those incredible sets that you missed out on.  We've all done it.  

In fact, you're not a real member of this site until you've done it ;)

Guest TabbyBoy

It is slow seller in UK :(

Yes it is, that's mainly why I'm holding onto my 10 until next year.  Anyway, I'm much too busy with work to go to the post office or Collect+ between now and the end of the month.  I'll probably sell them one day on here to a UK buyer that'll pay cash and collect all 10.

Yes it is, that's mainly why I'm holding onto my 10 until next year.  Anyway, I'm much too busy with work to go to the post office or Collect+ between now and the end of the month.  I'll probably sell them one day on here to a UK buyer that'll pay cash and collect all 10.

It would be very fruity transaction haha. 10 HH in one go. Beautiful.

• 7 months later...