10228 - Haunted House

Jeff Mack

Modular or not?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider the Haunted House a modular house?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe with some modifications.

A rather odd question but after some back and forth banter, I'm confused.

To me when somebody says 'modular', I'm thinking of Grand Emporium or Cafe Corner. You know, different sections that can be attached to one another in a variety of ways, of which the Haunted House can not do. Also there are interchangable floors, another thing the Haunted House does not feature. So in my logic, the Haunted House is not a modular.

I don't know, what do you think?

Is the Haunted House technically considered to be a modular house or not?

Here's the Wikipedia page for Lego Modular Houses.

I am totally off charts here but to me Modulars are buildings that are both play-sets and display sets, but they MUST be buildings. And they usually cost alot. Haunted House: Play-set: check Display set: check Building: check Costs alot: check So yes it is modular for me But maybe word Modular overall is not good... I prefer UCS or even AFOL sets, which is exactly what SSD, MMV, Haunted House, and all other Modulars should be fitting in. It is just not a set I would give to a kid which also reflects in (If i remember correctly) 14 or even 16+ age consideration. These are just Collectible sets ...

Great post Azalon. Just wanted to say that to get some brick points. :-p Emes, I don't think anyone was accusing you of that. There are times where a simple "This" or +1 are merited. Agree with general sentiment that we are a SMALL slice of the Lego world. And even amongst people here, few will stockpile sets the way emazers or Ed and Jeff likely do. As a mid/low-funds investor, part of the challenge I am finding is just being OK with the fact that I am going to miss out on some sets. There will be sets that show great returns, and I probably won't have any. And that's OK. I personally don't think Haunted House is the slam dunk people think it is, but if it goes wild I won't lose any sleep over it. Hopefully I invest my dollars elsewhere wisely to find my gains.

Great post Azalon. Just wanted to say that to get some brick points. :-p

Emes, I don't think anyone was accusing you of that. There are times where a simple "This" or +1 are merited.

Agree with general sentiment that we are a SMALL slice of the Lego world. And even amongst people here, few will stockpile sets the way emazers or Ed and Jeff likely do.

As a mid/low-funds investor, part of the challenge I am finding is just being OK with the fact that I am going to miss out on some sets. There will be sets that show great returns, and I probably won't have any. And that's OK. I personally don't think Haunted House is the slam dunk people think it is, but if it goes wild I won't lose any sleep over it. Hopefully I invest my dollars elsewhere wisely to find my gains.

I have a couple of Haunted Houses and will wait for the discounts. I really don't buy sets unless they are discounted or very rare. If the HH doesn't get discounted, I will not buy too many more to be quite honest. My Brickfolio is quite diverse. Old . New. Small. Large. All the themes. I like all sorts of sets, but I don't like to pay retail unless I absolutely have to.

Everyone on this site talks about the Haunted House as if it were the best thing since spray cheese in a can, but with everyone stockpiling, won't the secondary market value of this set be very low for a few years?

Not as low as something like say, Fire Brigade. This set seem to be on sale perpetually, and have lived longer than most modulars I believe. I think the FB is way more stockpiled than HH.

I think the higher price of the Haunted House and its limited availability will keep a lot of people from stockpiling it like some other sets.

That and it's size. Box is pretty big like Lord Vampyre's Castle!

It's an awesome build that I can't really find any sort of fault with at all.

The kind of people who would not buy it are ones that just don't like horror films or b-movies.

......And I don't know of any.

I don't see how there is any question here, the very term "modular" denotes that is a "module" or component to a larger arrangement. Since the Haunted House is a completely different construction style, it is not "modular" and therefore could not fall under that name. Not even Lego categorizes the Haunted House in its modular buildings, if they wanted it to, the could have very easily adopted its design to fit with them. Furthermore, the Haunted House really isn't the style of house that sat in the middle of a long row of buildings like the rest of modular buildings, its construction is designed to be seen from all sides on a lot that does not have adjacent buildings. To many, it looks fine next to the rest of the modular buildings but to one who is the architectural and urban development field, it is like scraping fingernails across chalkboard squeezed in a row of modular buildings.

I think that it is technically a Monster Fighter set. It has the Monster Fighter design on the box, characters, etc. However, I think that many of us consider them to be Modulars as it has the same price point, same size, etc. Technically it is a Monster Fighter set, but it has many of the aspects of a modular.

... the Haunted House really isn't the style of house that sat in the middle of a long row of building

I dunno. If the HH was placed in the middle of a rowhouse block, my in-laws would fit right in.

I also wouldn't consider it a modular unless Lego starts doing it. We'll know soon enough once the next mini-modular set is released.

I dunno. If the HH was placed in the middle of a rowhouse block, my in-laws would fit right in.

This right here. Classic!

But anyway, what you said redeemed is precisely what I think. It just doesn't use the same technic pin system the other modular builds use among other things, so that's why I'm confused when I hear some people mention it as though it were one.

They would have to change its design and move away from the hinge open design to allow the floors to separate like the rest of the modulars, after doing that, they could add the pins to actually make it "modular".

Yeah what you said. I have seen it done by a couple of MOCers which is neat.

I prefer UCS or even AFOL sets, which is exactly what SSD, MMV, Haunted House, and all other Modulars should be fitting in. It is just not a set I would give to a kid which also reflects in (If i remember correctly) 14 or even 16+ age consideration.

These are just Collectible sets ...

Ha! My 5 year old cousin will be getting this on his birthday, I can't even imagine how long that set will stay built/complete.

Anyway, I voted no as well. It can be used as a modular and fits nicely, but I don't consider it one.