• Yes
    • No
    • Depends
  2. 2. Are they a good investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends

It´s worth reading part 1 too.

https://brickset.com/article/29274/interview-with-architecture-designer-lars-(1)

They talk about the demographic who are buying these sets and future models. It´s a bit weird that he seems to discount including bridges such as Golden Gate in the line up as they are "engineering" rather than Architecture when they already have Tower Bridge and he even goes on to say how iconic it is. Maybe some of our European classic architecture arrogance coming through?

2 minutes ago, Val-E said:

It´s worth reading part 1 too.

https://brickset.com/article/29274/interview-with-architecture-designer-lars-(1)

They talk about the demographic who are buying these sets and future models. It´s a bit weird that he seems to discount including bridges such as Golden Gate in the line up as they are "engineering" rather than Architecture when they already have Tower Bridge and he even goes on to say how iconic it is. Maybe some of our European classic architecture arrogance coming through?

I am pretty sure that a lof of AFOLs would like to have some bridges in their Architecture collection, e.g. Tower bridge...

By the way - I am still waiting for the Statue of Liberty and Taj Mahal for the Architecture line...

I think the only building they have scaled down so far has been Eiffel Tower (TB is part of a cityscape) so there are possibilities. I guess they may also be moving away from the 20 euro price point so making bigger versions of the earlier small sets like SSN, RC, ESB and Hancock are all feasible.

Just now, Val-E said:

I think the only building they have scaled down so far has been Eiffel Tower (TB is part of a cityscape) so there are possibilities. I guess they may also be moving away from the 20 euro price point so making bigger versions of the earlier small sets like SSN, RC, ESB and Hancock are all feasible.

You forgot Big Ben...

They cannot recreate all the stuff as a bigger version, otherwise they will reach the landscape theme scale. When you try to make the small Architecture Big Ben in a larger scale you will end up in 10253 version...

5 minutes ago, mauro23 said:

You forgot Big Ben...

They cannot recreate all the stuff as a bigger version, otherwise they will reach the landscape theme scale. When you try to make the small Architecture Big Ben in a larger scale you will end up in 10253 version...

Nope, Big Ben was scaled up, same as SOH. Eiffel had bigger one first.

3 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Nope, Big Ben was scaled up, same as SOH. Eiffel had bigger one first.

What I have mentioned is, that there are only few possibilities. You can make perhaps bigger Hancock or Empire State buildings (like they have done for Guggenheim museum) but not Brandenburg Gate or Tower of Pisa, otherwise you would reach the lanscape/sculptures scale.

• 3 months later...

This is just a general question, but do you guys agree that the lifespan of these sets are shorter than they were before?  I seems they retire a little after two years, where as before is could be close to five years.  The Empire State building was out forever.  I haven't figured out how to time these sets yet.  I hate buying too early but I've missed the boat on some of the recent sets as well.

• Like 1

This is just a general question, but do you guys agree that the lifespan of these sets are shorter than they were before?  I seems they retire a little after two years, where as before is could be close to five years.  The Empire State building was out forever.  I haven't figured out how to time these sets yet.  I hate buying too early but I've missed the boat on some of the recent sets as well.

The availability of architecture sets are getting longer in general.

14 minutes ago, legodelorean said:

Eiffel Tower seems like it has been out since they built the thing. 

There seems to be little consistency as some sets like BK or Flatiron don´t last 2 years and others outstay their welcome. Some are marked retiring soon at EU SAH and were last year too.

Edited by Val-E

1 minute ago, Val-E said:

Eiffel Tower seems like it has been out since they built the thing. 

There seems to be little consistency as some sets like BK or Flatiron don´t last 2 years and others outstay their welcome. Some are marked retiring soon at EU SAH and were last year too.

Yeah, there seems to be no consistency at all.  This is a great theme though and the sets are top notch. 

1 hour ago, legodelorean said:

Do you know if LEGO Shop at Home ever marks them as "retiring soon"?  That might be a dumb question to ask but I don't think I have ever seen Architecture sets marked like some other sets.

I believe I saw retiring soon tag on either White House or Trevi fountain.. but whats the use? (even if LEGO did tag them).. look at the retired sets thread.. these "comedians" are able to tag "retire soon" sets that are stil available even if tagged like two weeks ago.. and then others - such as Technic Class Xerion (superb set), or a lots of Ninjago sets and others didnt get tagged, showed up to the very last moment "max. order 20 units" and then suddenly gone in a second. I confronted UK LEGO CustCare regarding this - what is the explanation that some get a  tag and others dont.. tthe answer was rather candid: ".. sometimes in all that rush and interest in our sets we are not able to tag them and they just get sold - REALLY?? Like 20 units per order and all of sudden someone bought a truck of them and you had no time to react?"

so as of now I suspect that they use that tag only for the absolute "waste" that they want to get rid off since its not selling at all.. and that might also support my theory why after two weeks holding that "badge - retiring soon", all of them are still available.. no panic to buy them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, legodelorean said:

Do you know if LEGO Shop at Home ever marks them as "retiring soon"?  That might be a dumb question to ask but I don't think I have ever seen Architecture sets marked like some other sets.

Don't forget to use the wayback machine as a tool. This is something I believe 99% of resellers don't use. You'll see all the discount sets that went EOL as well a many sets with the retiring soon label on them.

• Haha 1

Guest TabbyBoy

One regret was selling my stash of 21007 Rockfeller Centers (Centres) for only £30, since I did pay only £17 for them. I'll probably get £75 each for them now and I'll not make the same mistake with the 21019 Eiffel Tower or the others I have. It goes to show that Architecture sets that were widely available at a discount can still do well. Even if it's only £10 profit for a two minute job of putting something in a box, it's still worthwhile. It's easier for me as I get free unlimited 31cm x 23cm x 11cm sixed boxes which are perfect for most Architecture, WALL-E, Doctor Who, CITY Vehicles, etc.

The Architecture sets that I won't touch right now are those ridiculous skylines and the larger remakes.

LEGO... Stop tagging sets and let us play the "game" properly!

2 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

One regret was selling my stash of 21007 Rockfeller Centers (Centres) for only £30, since I did pay only £17 for them. I'll probably get £75 each for them now and I'll not make the same mistake with the 21019 Eiffel Tower or the others I have. It goes to show that Architecture sets that were widely available at a discount can still do well. Even if it's only £10 profit for a two minute job of putting something in a box, it's still worthwhile. It's easier for me as I get free unlimited 31cm x 23cm x 11cm sixed boxes which are perfect for most Architecture, WALL-E, Doctor Who, CITY Vehicles, etc.

The Architecture sets that I won't touch right now are those ridiculous skylines and the larger remakes.

LEGO... Stop tagging sets and let us play the "game" properly!

arent you afraid that sometimes in the future LEGO could do Architecture remakes.. ? 

Guest TabbyBoy
38 minutes ago, crayxlp said:

arent you afraid that sometimes in the future LEGO could do Architecture remakes.. ? 

Nothing scares me now as my buy-ins are as low as possible. LEGO already have done by releasing larger Burj Khalifa and the Guggenheim Museum sets. I've also heard rumours of a larger White House too. LEGO are capable of re-releasing or remaking anything without notice, the Taj Mahal has proved that. Keeping any set for more than 2-3 years is risky.

On 14/11/2017 at 11:46 PM, legodelorean said:

Why no love for the skylines? I think they look great. I also really like the Architecture line in general.

I consider the Skyline sets more as souvenirs of a city you've visited, and I display them as such. So in my books cabinet I've got a Venice Skyline and a London Skyline on display. 

And I've said it before, but I think a smart move for a souvenirs shop in Venice would be to hoard those Venice Skyline sets (at discounts) and then sell them at a large mark-up after they've retired. Tourists visiting Venice would be eager to pay premium for a Lego Venice Skyline sold right there when they're shopping for souvenirs anyway. ;) 

3 hours ago, Haay said:

I consider the Skyline sets more as souvenirs of a city you've visited, and I display them as such. So in my books cabinet I've got a Venice Skyline and a London Skyline on display. 

And I've said it before, but I think a smart move for a souvenirs shop in Venice would be to hoard those Venice Skyline sets (at discounts) and then sell them at a large mark-up after they've retired. Tourists visiting Venice would be eager to pay premium for a Lego Venice Skyline sold right there when they're shopping for souvenirs anyway. ;) 

I had often thought of buying up hundreds of Big Ben's (even though the clock face could really have been done much better) and pitching up a seasonal stand on Westminster Bridge. £50 a pop to a passing tourist would be much better value than loosing the same to the dodgy Romanian mafia types fleecing passing punters with the shell game. ?

• Like 1

The main reason why I buy architecture is because of the tourists who visit the actual location, not because of the design. I don't think the NYC skyline looks like total crap but there's really nothing special about it. That being said I'm wanting to order 1,000 units within the next 12-18 months while others will be fighting over some new LEGO ideas set. Same with Chicago too. For years I've been imagining high school kids going on class trips to visit the Space Needle, Eiffel Tower, Capital building, etc. and relatives not knowing what to get them for a present before or after the trip so they just pull the trigger on a LEGO Architecture set.

• Like 1