Big rise in value in Classic 1980s Space...

CNH1974

Has anyone else noticed the huge rise in classic space set prices mainly from 1978 - 1987. This seems to be due to the Lego Movie and the character Benny.

One of the things I do is to search out bulk lots, make up the sets and sell them on. But I have effectively been priced out of the classic space market.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5-KG-CLASSIC-SPACE-LEGO-Parts-6980-920-483-924-487-926-928-6951-6970-6971-1593-/111450949415?pt=UK_Construction_Toys_Kits&hash=item19f2fe8727

This lot sold for nearly

I will not think about the 15 pounds of Classic Space from the early 80's that I gave to my seven year old. Nor will I dwell on the twenty or so instruction booklets or 50 minifigs that were also in the box. Nope, not gonna think about it at all.

Oh man. I had 6 shoeboxes of classic sets from the 80's that I have to a thrift shop. Dammit.

I've been rebuilding my 80s space sets for the first time in 25 years and displaying them around the house. Staring at all those blue (and other coloured) astronauts, it's tempting to turn them into easy cash but I'd sooner donate internal organs.

They can rip my classic space sets out of my cold dead hands!  I was going to give them to my kids, but after picking through buckets of mixed Lego rebuilding all of the sets of my childhood, I couldn't let them go.  The kids play with them, but they're separate and won't get mixed into the "general population."  Too many good memories there, it would take a lot for me to sell them.

• Like 1

They can rip my classic space sets out of my cold dead hands!  I was going to give them to my kids, but after picking through buckets of mixed Lego rebuilding all of the sets of my childhood, I couldn't let them go.  The kids play with them, but they're separate and won't get mixed into the "general population."  Too many good memories there, it would take a lot for me to sell them.

Agreed. Lego, Star Wars and Transformers were my childhood, in that order. Props to Lego for combining the first two. Kree-o has done a serviceable job with the last. I can't part with them, but love that my son is interested in them. When he asked if he could keep one of my blue astronauts after seeing the Lego movie I was moved. Thankfully there's a dozen or so more to keep me company.  ;)

• 1 month later...

I've been rebuilding my 80s space sets for the first time in 25 years and displaying them around the house. Staring at all those blue (and other coloured) astronauts, it's tempting to turn them into easy cash but I'd sooner donate internal organs.

I am thinking aswell, i have 12 different sets not counting dubbels. Even got 928

I think i have 6808 and 6809 double, so 4 bennys

Yeah, I've sold quite a few CS sets in the past year for very nice returns. It's definitely people of a certain age buying them, not kids, and I don't think the Lego movie has anything to do with it. It's mostly just middle aged dudes re-living their youth.

I don't think it's necessarily a sign that a CS re-boot by Lego would be successful either. People are after the original sets, not because they're particularly awesome sets (some are a bit crap in fairness, compered to many sets that came after), but because they're the ones they had (or wanted) as kids, and the emotional draw they have to them. There's no substitute for original, and they will always fetch a premium. It's the same in any collectors market.

Yeah, I've sold quite a few CS sets in the past year for very nice returns. It's definitely people of a certain age buying them, not kids, and I don't think the Lego movie has anything to do with it. It's mostly just middle aged dudes re-living their youth.

I don't think it's necessarily a sign that a CS re-boot by Lego would be successful either. People are after the original sets, not because they're particularly awesome sets (some are a bit crap in fairness, compered to many sets that came after), but because they're the ones they had (or wanted) as kids, and the emotional draw they have to them. There's no substitute for original, and they will always fetch a premium. It's the same in any collectors market.

I agree it is people of a certain age. But I do think the movie is playing a factor. The main price rise occurred soon after the movie was released and I do not think that is a coincidence.

Often it is the smaller sets that got for the highest price per kg. I recently sold a 886 for

• 3 weeks later...

I love Classic Space, though I've been a LEGO fan since 1971 - days before my third birthday. I picked up a couple of Benny's SPACESHIP! sets for the nostalgia and the movie. I have none of my Lego from my youth thanks to an unscrupulous moving company. Not really going to replace it at the prices people want for the vintage sets.

• 1 month later...