Mega Bloks - general discussion

Brick Babe

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mega Bloks are crap. The are cheap knockoffs of Legos. Stay away.Mega Bloks are the poor mans's Lego bricks to be honest. They are similar in shape and size and will even work with Lego bricks, but their quality is awful. I like their HALO theme and some of their Need for Speed products are cool, but overall, they are not worth buying IMO.

Mega Bloks are crap. The are cheap knockoffs of Legos. Stay away.Mega Bloks are the poor mans's Lego bricks to be honest. They are similar in shape and size and will even work with Lego bricks, but their quality is awful. I like their HALO theme and some of their Need for Speed products are cool, but overall, they are not worth buying IMO.I've used the Mega Blok instructions with Lego bricks with great success when building the Halo models.
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Mega Bloks are crap. The are cheap knockoffs of Legos. Stay away.Mega Bloks are the poor mans's Lego bricks to be honest. They are similar in shape and size and will even work with Lego bricks, but their quality is awful. I like their HALO theme and some of their Need for Speed products are cool, but overall, they are not worth buying IMO.I've used the Mega Blok instructions with Lego bricks with great success when building the Halo models.Very good idea. Some of those Halo models are nifty.

• 2 years later...

I had a chance to buy some Mega Blocks at a garage sale. Are they worth anything in comparison to Legos? How do they compare to Legos?

Mega Blocks is crap. I sell it with all the other bits of rubbish you get in a used mixed Lego box from people that say 'it's all 100% genuine Lego'... as you sit there fishing out plastic soldiers and bits of Cobi blocks etc.

I've sold 3 kg tubs of mixed Lego on ebay for

You guys are talking about used bricks in lots. I can't agree more with you that its some useless garbage. :)

But I'm talking about an unopened and licenced set. You have to consider it in a collector point of view.

Sealed PotC mega bloks sets still sell pretty well not that badly... ok, not as well as PotC lego (flying dutchman excluded), but that's the reason why I was wondering if it could perform well in (let's say) 2017, because of the very popular WoW licence.

Unfortunately I have no clue about the sets of the theme (it seems that mega bloks does not have the licence anymore BTW).

I can also have some 91014 Goblin Zeppelin Ambush at the same price (15

Edited by biniou

Firstly I'm a Lego purist at heart & will likely always be!   BUT... Mega Brand was recently purchased by Mattel with the entire intension to directly attack the product leader.  Mattel has the engineering knowhow, the facilities and the capitol to make a significant beachhead against TLG.  In the future I would not be too suprised if the quality is seriously enhanced to be very close (at least as close as possible to the supposed declining quality in Lego).  it is possible that select current Mega lines may be highly desirable in the distant future for completests & collectors (even though they are just toys now)... Barbie lines are very close to Friends already.

But then again Megabloc are just toys & may never grow to be any more than that

You guys are talking about used bricks in lots. I can't agree more with you that its some useless garbage. :)

But I'm talking about an unopened and licenced set. You have to consider it in a collector point of view.

Sealed PotC mega bloks sets still sell pretty well not that badly... ok, not as well as PotC lego (flying dutchman excluded), but that's the reason why I was wondering if it could perform well in (let's say) 2017, because of the very popular WoW licence.

Unfortunately I have no clue about the sets of the theme (it seems that mega bloks does not have the licence anymore BTW).

I can also have some 91014 Goblin Zeppelin Ambush at the same price (15

It's pretty amazing how you can glance at a pile of LEGO and one piece can stand out in your eye. "That is NOT LEGO!"

In a used pile, the broken pieces seem to be MegaBlok 9/10 times.

After knowing this, I still saw some CoD zombie sets at 70% off and bought a few thinking people love zombies. I'm still not sure it they'll do better than breaking even.

My son got an Optimus Megablocks set for Christmas.

Set looks good, but pieces are crap.  was hard for him to but together (he never has problem w/ Lego)

And then after my help, it would fall apart w/ light play.   Terrible.

That being said I bought the Star Trek set today on clearance.   Maybe I can kragle it.....

I love the Megablocks Halo and Kree-o Transformers sets. My son and I are having a blast building them and since no one else seems to like them I can usually get them at 50% off at TRU. Nice to support a Canadian company too. 

Whatever you may think of Lego's competitors, there's no denying Lego sets have improved greatly in order to compete. If this were a contest between late 90s Lego and Megablocks, those Halo sets would be looking pretty good. Just look at the difference between a modern Lego Star Wars set and its much blockier original version from back then.

They are closing the gap but have a long way to go

Look at the megablocks by the Lego, most Call of Duty sets look awesome, pair that w Halo and the new Assassins Creed stuff coming out, they are picking some good licenses.

The Barbie/hello Kitty stuff is crap and the colors make me want to vomit. At least the Lego friends got it right with the colors being lighter (not a lot of hot pink) and not causing seizures.

And they have a new "My life as..." Series that is way more a friends rip off than Barbie