Mega Bloks - general discussion

Brick Babe

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sets look awesome. The Terminator bust is wicked.

For this last San Diego Comic-Con, they had a different T-800 head model than the one featured earlier in the topic plus the arm from Terminator 2. I think the arm was neat but the head here looks too smooth and doesn't capture the 'edginess' the prior bust did in my opinion.

Anyway, I think the sets are quite good. In fact I believe the Mega Bloks product as a whole has become more professional in particular the last few years and should not be written off as a mere knockoff anymore. We can question the quality of the actual material for their bricks and debate the lack of any original theme lately since all are based on a popular licensed property one way or another. However the truth is aside from the simple building block concept, they are not copying or trying to be LEGO anymore like it may have felt with a handful of their older lines. Now Mega Bloks comes across as mixing pocket poseable action figures into buildable play sets.

Strangely enough I do not see Mega Bloks as a direct competitor with LEGO as such but more like 'a different flavor'. Their builds are more serious between lots of real world elements, tons of guns, and military vehicles which is possible within the realm of LEGO at least in the aftermarket or custom creation sense but certainly not officially. An odd rant but it is a tad tiring reading the brand being dismissed easily from just a glance by so many. I love LEGO and always will for its childlike charm while retaining some hidden potential to be more adult if I wish but Mega Bloks does yield its own unique selection of merits under a bit more grownup category.

On another note, anyone know what happened with KRE-O? I haven't seen anything new for them at either of this year's Comic-Con events. Shoot I never saw the Dungeons & Dragons stuff that was supposed to be out last year anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was at a store called Ollie's and they had mega bloks true hero sets, the stealth attack and fire station, both over a 1000 pieces for $19.99 each.  Anybody mess with these and if so, was the quality somewhat decent.  I dont have any experience with mega bloks but the sets looked decent and 1000 piece set for $19.99 seems like a solid deal.  

• 10 months later...
10 minutes ago, waddamon said:

Sweet thanks, just need an Amazon discount.

I haven't done a ton of looking, but they may be the only ones carrying it right now.  TRU doesn't have it, but they do have the TMNT Technodrome listed.  I would like to think that Mega Bloks isn't setting a "no discount" policy.

This video starts off with an unboxing.  I think Jang has something similar.

I would like to see some effort put into Lego's packaging similar to what they've done here.  Plus this set has all printed pieces, although they're not perfect, I want to support Mega Bloks just for the effort they put into this as opposed to phoning it in.

Would love to see a Bird of Prey that matches this in scale

Edited by fuzzy_bricks
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, exciter1 said:

Love me some RC. They've had Halo blind bags for several years now.

I remember back around 1997, RC did bottled cola that used cane sugar.  Back in those days, everything else was corn syrup and had been for years.  That was some good stuff.  I remember seeing them discounted heavily at Target (as it wasn't a big seller), and then trying to store a couple of cases in my tiny college apartment.  We drank that stuff for another six months after it left the shelves.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Alpinemaps said:

I remember back around 1997, RC did bottled cola that used cane sugar.  Back in those days, everything else was corn syrup and had been for years.  That was some good stuff.  I remember seeing them discounted heavily at Target (as it wasn't a big seller), and then trying to store a couple of cases in my tiny college apartment.  We drank that stuff for another six months after it left the shelves.

I remember drinking RC100, trying to cut back on cafffeine.  Diet Rite is a spin-off diet soda from RC and was my Dad's favorite. I never cared for it much.
Image result for rc100 soda

You never had one of these?
f8fe15fdeb3f191db29f46f428a10108.jpg

I can spam some european stuff you never heard off here and it might make you feel equally ridiculous but what's the point in that ;)

I don't think my question is so weird, multiple people here agree that mega blocks quality is increasing and there might be flipping or investing potential.