Speed Champions 2015

TheOrcKing

You would expect at least a couple of years to make it worth getting licensed. However, the real 458GT and Porsche 997 will be replaced next year and the McLaren Mercedes F1 is already out of date so who knows....

If 458GT and Porsche 997 are going to be replaced, does that mean that LEGO ones maybe will increase in value?

I very much doubt it unless the Lego ones were to retire this year. These sets have been so widely available and are at such a small scale that I don´t see mega possibilites for future appreciation - just like the majority of regular CITY sets.

It´s normal that they go out of date because from the time it takes to design them and agree on the licenses, racing car technology has changed so much, sponsors move on etc etc.

McLaren wanted Lego to be one of their sponsors but that is not going to happen now and the F1 team is in steady decline so it is unlikely they will make any more McLaren licensed sets so that set could be worth something one day, as will the Ferrari truck provided buy in is low.

Edited by valenciaeric
  • Like 1

I really like the McLaren Pit Stop, it's one of a kind.

EDIT: Let me see if I undertsood, LEGO made a set when Mercedes and McLaren were together, but now they are divided and Mercedes are doing great but McLaren are in the bottom of classification? Is this right?

Edited by SrQueimado

I think Lego designed the set when McLaren Mercedes were partners and the Danish driver Kevin Magnussen was in the team but by the time it was launched, McLaren had already changed to the awful Honda engines and Magnussen was dropped to test driver (partly because they didnt get Lego sponsorship and partly because Alonso became available). Mercedes has had its own full team since 2010 but they only started winning when McLaren forgot how to design cars. 

The Ferrari F1 with the vacuum cleaner nose is also last year´s car - normal as the design leadt time wouldn´t allow to use 2015 cars/sponsors.

Some of the 1st gen speed champions sets did quite well on the secondary market but they had a higher rarity value back in the day - in the current market these ones are probably not going to do great even if some of them are cool sets.

Edited by valenciaeric
  • Like 1

What you are saying is: these will do well in Europe and with car buffs. Most of that needs translation for non car guys

And ff your buy-in price is good! Kids probably won´t care about one race car from another to the next line of standard City raceing car sets would be just fine for them and the bigger sets should appeal more to adult racing fans but they are probably missing a real decent sized flagship set - hopefully 2016 Technic flagship will be it!

When they first came out, the $15 sets were flipping for $30 each, because they were hard to find.  I'm not a racing fan, but even I really dug the cars.

I've got to think the 2015 sets are going to retire around the same time the next sets start hitting shelves.

As for 75913 itself - I don't dig it myself.  Too much red, and I'm really not into Formula 1, so it just doesn't do anything for me.  However, they were going for above $150, if I remember right, when it first came out.  So there's a pretty good chance they will go for at least that, and probably more.

It's helpful that Speed Champions are exclusive to TRU.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 1:27 PM, Alpinemaps said:

It's helpful that Speed Champions are exclusive to TRU.

I believe this will be the primary contribution towards value now & later aside from being great vehicle designs. The store brand's physical locations are oddball hardly being local for many. Sure there is the online store but their shipping varies plus ordering online is not always a good option for everyone.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...
Guest TabbyBoy
19 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

The great thing with these is if people decide to collect them, they are going to want bnib due to the number of stickers on each model. 

Those bought from Argos will be covered in stickers!