Speed Champions 2015

TheOrcKing

Thanks.  How do you get 10% off on thursdays?   Is the coupon online as well??    I'm trying to learn the tricks of the trade on how to score the best deals.  That's why I like this site, many people helping others out and posting deals..   The more I save, the more LEGO I can buy. lol    

With the TRU credit card, they give 10% off on Thursdays.  So, apply for the card.  Note: you get 15% off the day you get the card, might want to plan for that.  

To get the 10%, you have to 0) be in-person at a TRU on Thursday; 1) ask the cashier, which will activate the savings; and 2) swipe with your TRU credit card *first*.  If you don't want to put the whole purchase on the card, here's a tip.  Swipe with the TRU credit first, as above. Now, choose "credit" on the touchscreen, followed by "partial payment".  Put in a small amount (I usually charge $0.05) and hit "accept".   You'll be returned to the payment screen, and you can now swipe your usual debit/credit card and pay for the remainder.  Bonus: using this technique, you get double TRU rewards, the equivalent of 8% back. 

Edited by diablo2112
  • Like 1

With the TRU credit card, they give 10% off on Thursdays.  So, apply for the card.  Note: you get 15% off the day you get the card, might want to plan for that.  

To get the 10%, you have to 0) be in-person at a TRU on Thursday; 1) ask the cashier, which will activate the savings; and 2) swipe with your TRU credit card *first*.  If you don't want to put the whole purchase on the card, here's a tip.  Swipe with the TRU credit first, as above. Now, choose "credit" on the touchscreen, followed by "partial payment".  Put in a small amount (I usually charge $0.05) and hit "accept".   You'll be returned to the payment screen, and you can now swipe your usual debit/credit card and pay for the remainder.  Bonus: using this technique, you get double TRU rewards, the equivalent of 8% back. 

THanks...   I will def have to use this method..  

They are for sale at SAH, I was looking at them before.  I'm waiting for double VIP points for these..   

3 of the 4 cars are out of stock at USA shop at home 1 day after going on sale.  hmmmmm.

In stock at TRU though

These look so cool.  Can't wait for my set to get here.

Individual cars are already getting basically double MSRP with shipping on amazon.  

Set of 4 cars getting $100 on ebay for a $60 buyin at msrp.

May be worth grabbing if you are heading to a LEGO store today.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

I just can't get excited about these. To me, they just look like Lego sports cars that happen to have McLaren/Porsche/Ferrari stickers on them.  I need the size to be like the Racers sets of old to get excited.  Not saying they won't do well, I just don't like the look of them. 

I just can't get excited about these. To me, they just look like Lego sports cars that happen to have McLaren/Porsche/Ferrari stickers on them. I need the size to be like the Racers sets of old to get excited. Not saying they won't do well, I just don't like the look of them.

Me too. I wanted to love them, but do not - they're just ok. Cmon LEGO - Give them to me twice in size, more detailed, and with printed parts then we'll talk!

Perhaps having the branded cars at a lower cost-point gets more folks on boards for future- and more costly- iterations.

The Racers line remains one of my all-time favorites, but I acknowledge one needed to take their building/collecting- and the $ to do so- at least moderately seriously to get started with a Racers set.

These sets will at least be obtainable to a much broader audience. That being said, bring on the UCS McLaren. :)

I think the set looks great... in spite of nearly as many stickers as the EEE :P

yeah think 22 was the high sticker count out of the individual 4 cars with the others not to far behind.

They are aimed at kids as a whole for the price point so I think it helps get kids involved and for auto enthusiasts they make nice desk top pieces. 

Probably the best selling pre-release set I noticed out of the last batch of new releases.  These flipped frequently and at good margins.  Has a big draw both domestic and internationally as well as kids and adults.

Could see it evolve into larger adult sets as well.  The fancy Ferrari authenticity holo sticker is pretty cool too.  Could see a highly detailed large size Ferrari down the road.  At least I can dream about it anyways.  

• Like 1

I've been steadily picking up this set with the $5 off $25 TRU coupon, and 10% Thursday discount.  Noticed a couple of things.  

It's been scarce since release, and is now basically sold-out at my local TRUs.  There's still a decent QFLL opportunity with this set, the 4 basic cars seem to bring in the $100 range pretty consistently in recent eBay sales.  

TRU now has a dedicated display for these, and they look fantastic in person.  The cars show much better than the pictures.  

The display is labelled as "Only at TRU".  That's good news.  Interest in this set seems high, its on delayed order status with SAH, and sold quickly at my local TRU.  I think there's some QFLL left in this set.   

IMG_1326_zpsdqn1gmvs.jpg

Edited by diablo2112
  • Like 1

I've been steadily picking up this set with the $5 off $25 TRU coupon, and 10% Thursday discount.  Noticed a couple of things.  

It's been scarce since release, and is now basically sold-out at my local TRUs.  There's still a decent QFLL opportunity with this set, the 4 basic cars seem to bring in the $100 range pretty consistently in recent eBay sales.  

TRU now has a dedicated display for these, and they look fantastic in person.  The cars show much better than the pictures.  

The display is labelled as "Only at TRU".  That's good news.  Interest in this set seems high, its on delayed order status with SAH, and sold quickly at my local TRU.  I think there's some QFLL left in this set.

Which set were you referring to? I posted links for three in the reply above yours leaving me a tad confused. Ha. In any case with the display saying "Only at Toys R Us" leads me to believe the entire theme is a store exclusive the way how Technic used to be. Funny thing if that is you in the reflection, you sort of look like the driver in the Speed Champions banner ....only with glasses.

Which set were you referring to? I posted links for three in the reply above yours leaving me a tad confused. Ha. In any case with the display saying "Only at Toys R Us" leads me to believe the entire theme is a store exclusive the way how Technic used to be. Funny thing if that is you in the reflection, you sort of look like the driver in the Speed Champions banner ....only with glasses.

The 4 basic cars are selling for $100, that seems to be the best QFLL at the moment and the "set" I was referring to in my post.   Interestingly, the Ferrari Transporter has disappeared from TRU online.  It was posted last week, and you can view it in the Google Cache, but it's no longer available from TRU themselves.  No idea why.  

The set numbers are 75899, 75908, 75909, and 75910. 

I was at TRU yesterday picking up a set of 4, and had a couple observations:

1. There were 2 Ferrari Transporters on the shelf. Both had security devices, both were marked up $10 from MSRP to $109.99, and both had well worn boxes for sets less than a week old.

2. At check out, I tried to split the 4 car sets into two transactions with my TRU card in order to use two of the $5 off $25 coupons. No dice. The system would only take one, and the cashier couldn't override it. I was in a hurry, so I didn't push for a manual override. I'll see what happens next week.

3. I have yet to see the Porsche 911 set in the wild. That is the one I want the most for personal building; I'm wondering if everyone else agrees and that will end up the sleeper winner of the series. Porsche 911's certainly have the widest following of all the cars in these sets, and at $50 MSRP that set is a pretty solid value.

• Like 1

Sure, the 4 sets are the 4, basic cars.  Set numbers 75899, 75908, 75909, and 75910.  MSRP is $14.99 ea from Lego; as posted above, if you're lucky enough to have them in-stock at TRU, you can get this down to about $11/set on Thursday with the stacked 10% off and $5 off $25 coupon.  Sold together, these sets are bringing $100 on eBay.  After shipping and fees, you'll clear between $40-$50 a set, roughly a doubling of your $$$.

Side note: you can order all 4 cars at once from SAH, as LEGO SPEED CHAMPIONS COLLECTION, Item: 5004550, $59.96.  

Edit: I was able to conduct separate transactions at my TRU to use more than 1 $5 coupon.  Sounds like this is store-to-store.  I have seen the 911 set available locally at my TRUs.   The scarce sets in my neck of the woods have been the McLaren P1 (sold out right away), then the LaFerrari, and finally the Porsche 911 set.  I grabbed the last of the 911s yesterday during 10% Thursday.  Both my TRUs have the Ferrari Transporter on the shelf (down to 1, each) and the price has remained at $99.  I've bought 3 at $85 with stacked coupons (well, technically one cost me under $50 as I had TRU reward points to spend).

Edited by diablo2112
  • Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

These don't float my boat and look like tarted up CITY vehicles to me.  If any have a chance, I'd bet on the 75908 but, only as it's "prettier" and if at half price or less. Remember these are non-exclusive and will be stacked high everywhere soon enough. I'm personally waiting for 10248 F40.

Edited by TabbyBoy