Geisel Library: a LEGO Architecture MOC

henrysunset

I'm proud to finally share my model of the Geisel Library at UCSD, which is a lovely Brutalist-style building that I re-created in the tradition of the Architecture series.

geisel_fake_box_crop-600x448.jpg
The final building in the style of the Architecture series sets.

The finished model is probably about 800 pieces, and it's on display this weekend at Seattle BrickCon!  If you aren't lucky enough to be in Seattle this weekend, I've prepared a collection of photos of the models, as well as a exploration of the creative process as I iterated on the design before reaching this final version.

15242876437_f49986ed54_z.jpg
Before arriving at the final design, I did a bunch of explorations including this much smaller model.

geisel_photos_wikimedia-600x198.jpg
some photos of the real building that I've tried to re-create in LEGO.

More photos and the "making of" at: http://tomalphin.com/2014/10/geisel-library.html

I hope you enjoy my first serious MOC, and I'd love to hear your feedback!!!

Sincerely,
---tom 

• Like 9

Honestly I have not known the Geisel Library before, but comparing the photograph with your model I have to say that you did a really nice job there!

I see that you have worked with the architecture set from LEGO (since verything is white except for the few black pieces and of course the blue windows ;-) ).

Since you have a model now I could imagine how you rebuild it with a few different colours (would be intesting to see).

Another thing after watching some picture seems to be the sockel of the model. I think it kind of belongs to the building so maybe you could add it to your final construction of the building, would give it a nicer stand in my opinion since it seems to have been designed for the building.

I attached a picture for you so that you can see what I mean (hopefully ^.^)

Anyhow, all in all I guess you can be quite proud about your job there! Really nicely done.

post-41741-0-79257500-1412411070.jpg

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

Nice job! I only hope it's a well known enough building to make it all the way. Sorry but, I've not heard of it... or half of the other sets for that matter. Anyway, keep up the good work!

• 3 months later...