Buying Schedule

Howdy folks,

I have been recently strapped for capital as many opportunities have come recently.

Keep the info below to myself or share?  Hmm.  It is not gospel and it is only what I intend to do as I try to get more structure in my acquisitions.

Here goes for some of the bigger sets.  Feel free to comment, add your own, etc

Past history in this series has shown me this is its second holiday season and if this line-up remains consistent it will the last time to buy this at retail.

10211 GE - Probably EOL

10214 Tower Bridge - still perplexed on this one.  Have 4 would like at least 10...it is out of any other sets range I am trying to relate it too...  Buy small amounts when 2x or 3x VIP points.

10218 Petshop - Wait till mid winter.  If GE is indeed retiring I cannot see this disappearing at the exact same time.

10220 T1 Camper - I have already started to accumulate with 2x VIP and poly bag.  Makes this set cheap.

not sure what set to relate this too either as far as EOL goes.

10223 Joust (have 9) but I am afraid this will be a slow riser just like 10193.  This is related to the previous castle theme just like MMV was when it was out.

10224 - OOS many places but I heard from a Lego employee the modular's will go in order, wink

10225 R2 - Start accumulate in late NOV

10226 Sopwith Camel Probably EOL

10227 B Wing EOL (EOL before R2)

10228 HH Probably EOL

10229 EOL

10230 EOL

10231 EOL

10232 Palace Cinema begin accumulating spring of 2016 unless something changes

10233 Horizon Express - Not sure on this one buy when discounts x2 VIP and polys are avail - treat this like a city train, Emerald Night or more like the Maersk train?

10234 Sydney Opera House  one of my sleeper sets, higher price per piece but there are also a lot of larger pieces in this set.  Look at how ordinary Taj Mahal was for types of pieces.  This set is easily recognizable. I believe it will do well.

Problem I have: will this follow Tower Bridge production time 4 years or more???

10235 Winter Village Market - Buy as many as I can before the end of NOV.  If I can pair with other discounts great.

I take 10229 as an example...I waited on this one till this fall having only 1 on hand until recently...if this follows 10229's timeline it should be an easy 60-80% gain by next Christmas.  That is well ahead on my normal annual appreciation rate.  I can live with that.

10236 Ewok Village have zero...no idea on this one.

10237 Tower or Orthanc I should probably be accumulating this now.  Have Zero.

10240 I will start buying this next May, hoping for a May 4th deal.

10241 Maersk 3x EEE will looking into it Feb- March 2015

10242 Mini Cooper - will this follow the T1 production timeline? If it does there is a lot time for this one.

10243 Parisian Restaurant One of my fav modulars (have 1) from a trade (thanks) will end up with 10+ on this one. No hurry though

10244 Mixer, not a lot of love for this set, had it included the Power Functions I would like it more...but I will be buying this one early summer 2015.  Impressive when built, nice engineering when it is stored away.  SLEEPER.

10245 Can't say enough about this set...buy now, buy more next year buy anytime there is any give away. (JMO)

If it follows the "pattern" it may vanish late winter after Christmas but return late summer or next fall.

Anyway other than other non-10xxx sets this has been fun to think about and post.  Take it leave it, I am no authority on the matter.  This is how I feel about the sets today.

• Like 7

Here's my feelings on what and when to buy. I just deleted EOL stuff.

10214 Tower Bridge - buy at least one. Buy up to your planned limit over the next year.

10218 Petshop - buy at least one. Buy up to your planned limit over the next year.

10220 T1 Camper - buy up to your planned limit now.

10223 Joust - buy at least one. Avoiding investment here. I love Castle and Kingdoms, but it seems to just not get much love from aftermarket buyers.

10224 Town Hall - buy at least one. Buy up to your planned limit over the next two years.

10225 R2 - buy at least one. Buy up to your planned limit over the next two years.

10226 Sopwith Camel - buy up to your planned limit now.

10228 Haunted House - buy up to your planned limit now.

10232 Palace Cinema - wait to buy for at least one more year, then buy up to your planned limit over the next two years.

10233 Horizon Express - buy at least one. I would buy a modest amount for investment in 1 year.

10234 Sydney Opera House  - buy at least one. Buy up to your planned limit over the next year.

10235 Winter Village Market - buy at least one. I'm passing on this one, gut feeling.

10236 Ewok Village have zero - buy at least one. Wait 1 more year then buy up to your planned limit over the next 2 years.

10237 Tower or Orthanc - buy up to your planned limit now.

10240 Red Five X-wing - buy at least one. I'm passing on this one as well, gut feeling.

10241 Maersk 3x EEE - buy at least one. Buy up to your planned limit over the next year.

10242 Mini Cooper - wait 1 year, then buy up to your planned limit over the next 1-2 years.

10243 Parisian Restaurant - wait 2 years, then buy up to your planned limit over the next 1-2 years.

10244 Mixer - buy at least one. Passing for investment.

10245 Santa's Workshop - buy at least one. Buy up to your planned limit over the next year.

• Like 4

As I have slowly matured as a LEGO investor, I plan to buy approximately 10 LEGO sets each year (most of them will be and are exclusives). These will be sets in which I have the most confidence will do well post-EOL. I have to keep in mind my two storage buildings (10'x15') and the somewhat limited space available, all the more so since I plan to hold these sets for 1-5 years before selling them. 

Of the 10 sets each year, I plan to acquire between 30-50 of each one. I will do this in various spurts throughout the year as I have the downtime to spend on research / buying. Certainly Q4 of each year will be one of those annual spurts. This will have me acquiring in the neighborhood of 400 sets annually.

As I have slowly matured as a LEGO investor, I plan to buy approximately 10 LEGO sets each year (most of them will be and are exclusives). These will be sets in which I have the most confidence will do well post-EOL. I have to keep in mind my two storage buildings (10'x15') and the somewhat limited space available, all the more so since I plan to hold these sets for 1-5 years before selling them.

Of the 10 sets each year, I plan to acquire between 30-50 of each one. I will do this in various spurts throughout the year as I have the downtime to spend on research / buying. Certainly Q4 of each year will be one of those annual spurts. This will have me acquiring in the neighborhood of 400 sets annually.

whoa exclusives? Talking spending an easy $40,000-$60,000+! Edited by supergtp1

Since you have that much funding to begin with, have you considered buying up a property as investment?   I think it's more stable and less stressful.   Just a thought.

Since you have that much funding to begin with, have you considered buying up a property as investment?   I think it's more stable and less stressful.   Just a thought.

?????  Where have you been for the last 6 years.  Not meant in a negative way.  Compare the 2008 retired exclusive sets through 2013 and then measure against an average commercial or residential space ro benchmark.  Assuming no leverage of any kind.  I could say which one wins, but I will keep that secret.  Again no disrespect but LEGO investing is not a poor mans game.  Real estate has its place that is for sure.

What is your unwind strategy?

Looking at the BP data it appears that approximately 210 NIB Green Grocers were sold on eBay in the past year.  If you had stockpiled 50 Green Grocers per year for two years while they were in-print, you would now be looking at unloading 100 sets. That quantity, if sold on eBay in a single year, would represent 50% of this year's total sales volume.

You've done the math that tells you to acquire 400 sets per year. How many sets per year does the math say you will be selling in 2015? 2016? 2017? 2018?  At some point it looks like you plan to sell 400 sets per year, are you prepared to market, sell, package, ship , and support that volume of product?

I do invest in commercial real estate as well. LEGO can produce much better returns if one is willing to put in the work. LEGO is also a bit more liquid than real estate.

What is your unwind strategy?

Looking at the BP data it appears that approximately 210 NIB Green Grocers were sold on eBay in the past year.  If you had stockpiled 50 Green Grocers per year for two years while they were in-print, you would now be looking at unloading 100 sets. That quantity, if sold on eBay in a single year, would represent 50% of this year's total sales volume.

You've done the math that tells you to acquire 400 sets per year. How many sets per year does the math say you will be selling in 2015? 2016? 2017? 2018?  At some point it looks like you plan to sell 400 sets per year, are you prepared to market, sell, package, ship , and support that volume of product?

I will only accumulate 30-50 of the 10 sets I choose annually. Thus, I will never have 100 of a single set, only a maximum of 50.  As I ramp up 300-500 sets annually, I will at some point come into the cycle of selling those that have hit the targeted ROI. I think I can pretty easily sustain the sale of 300-500 sets annually.

I do invest in commercial real estate as well. LEGO can produce much better returns if one is willing to put in the work. LEGO is also a bit more liquid than real estate.

Selling a LEGO set is easier than selling a house, but good luck trying to sell 200k worth of LEGO sets before you sell 1 house.

• Like 1

I will only accumulate 30-50 of the 10 sets I choose annually. Thus, I will never have 100 of a single set, only a maximum of 50.  As I ramp up 300-500 sets annually, I will at some point come into the cycle of selling those that have hit the targeted ROI. I think I can pretty easily sustain the sale of 300-500 sets annually.

we have a saying in the BP'er...  picture or else it didn't happen.

when you have accumulated lets say 500 sets upload the image and we will all be admiring your collection. till then .....

I do not agree with this...already 150.00 @ebay....big ?????

there must be a reason why some sets are still available when all the other contemporary are gone. either its a best seller or its a dog :D. so watch out .. it could have been the best seller with lot of demand like DS or it may also have a big sign saying "STAY AWAY OR ELSE YOU'LL LOSE YOUR SHIRT AND INNERWEAR"

This month I will surpass 600 sets in all. Here are some photos...

Looking good, but you didn't need to feed the trolls.

I don't know why people are harping on you for sharing your strategy, but good on your for having one. Looks to me like you've made some excellent choices. Now, I must agree that you should either be putting those sets on shelves or at least using a criss-cross pattern from one layer to the next!

Oh wait, I do know why they're trolling... because the internet makes everyone's hammer bigger.