2014 Black Friday & Cyber Monday : Poll, questions, comments, etc...

justapilgrim

Are you taking off work this Cyber Monday (Dec 1) ?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Are you taking off work this Cyber Monday (Dec 1) ?

• NO, I'll be working.
    • NO, I'll be working but using work resources to shop.
    • YES, I'll be taking off work to concentrate on sales.

They just gave me a bunch of coupons. I told them I didn't want to eat their food and they just have me a handful

was hxckid with you there? it is hard for me to picture the dialog...

[holleman walks into wendy's restaurant]

holleman: I don't want to eat your food

hardly speaking any english cashier with questionable immigration status: please no shoot!

[holleman walks out with entire contents of the register, and finds some coupons there]

• Like 3

was hxckid with you there? it is hard for me to picture the dialog...

[holleman walks into wendy's restaurant]

holleman: I don't want to eat your food

hardly speaking any english cashier with questionable immigration status: please no shoot!

[holleman walks out with entire contents of the register, and finds some coupons there]

Close. I had to have hxckidd flex his muscles. He then proceeded to state:

"i pick things up, I put them down."

That's when they handed everything over.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just take a look at the deal threads around Black Friday of last year. That should give you an idea.

I thought that Walmart was running "manager special" 50% off on all lego in _store_ for a few hours. 

30% off in my Walmart last year. Towards the end of the sale they brought out all the new Hobbit sets..so i got 30% off all new sets too. 

What also made Walmart pretty decent last year was the fact that 30% off was on top of any sale price. If a $20 set was on sale for $16, you got the 30% off the $16. It made for some pretty decent deals for me.

thank you , means a walmart give discounts for black friday attractive enough

The only one I was bummed about last year was the $80 Republic Gunship which did not ring up with an additional 30% off.  I was going to clear the shelves of that one, but it wasn't meant to be.  I got plenty of Uruk-Hai army for cheap though.  That was the last I saw them at Walmart around here.

Cyber Monday was the bomb on Amazon last year with the lightning deals....fun stuff.

Agreed on BF, nothing too special. The TRU deal on town square plus 10$ GC was not bad, but not jaw dropping

Amazon CM thread in case anyone is interested in reading it :

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/6958-amazon-lego-lightning-deals-112913/?hl=lightni

I agree. Cyber Monday is the better LEGO shopping day.

I think there's a decent chance that by Black Friday half the population will be curtailing their B & M retail store exposure out of ebola fear.  I remember back in the early 2000s when around 70% of Americans said in polls they were personally afraid of becoming victims of terrorism, so people don't necessarily behave rationally in response to threats like this.  Anyway, a drop in physical store sales could motivate retailers to become more promotional as they try to make up for lost volume.  If this happens, I would expect the best discounts to be in B & M stores rather than online, but desperate retailers do desperate things.  And no, I'm not saying this makes ebola a good thing.

Call me a pessimist but by the looks of it we are going to be disappointed. And may be some of BPers with inside information can get the deals. But I doubt most of the deal will last more than few minutes. And hence out of reach.

Alternatively, most of the deals will be known well in advance and you can schedule to hit the few minutes of availability.  

Call me a pessimist but by the looks of it we are going to be disappointed. And may be some of BPers with inside information can get the deals. But I doubt most of the deal will last more than few minutes. And hence out of reach.

I am actually worried about what your saying and therefore have been planning to gear most funds to LEGO Shop at Home oct set 1 and 2x vip and LEGO Shop at Home November set 2.

I do not have a lot reserved for Black Friday itself.

However I am more shifting to acquiring exclusives so perhaps it may not be that much of a loss.

All said I still expect Amazon to have some good lightning deals but you'll have to buy in less than a minute...

It may be that lego sells so well they don't have to cut even the regular stuff a lot any more.

I also feel the no discount policy will live on without an expiration date

Everyone settle down. Listen, these same exact words were said last year. Everyone was freaking out about lack of sales. Black Friday was decent last year - couple of nice things, especially the Walmart deal.

But Cyber Monday, none of us expected or knew about. Amazon has had some super deals and will continue to. I trust TRU will do some serious selling again. It is true they have had less sales as of late, but they just increased their points back for the TRU CC which is awesome, and they have had a lot of coupons, etc. I think you will see a lot from them during Christmas.

Barnes and Noble has proved that though they aren't big on Lego coupons anymore (mine luckily still work at my store) but they already started the Toy and game BOGOs they had late last year (I destroyed my BN stock with these).

Target and Walmart have been the exact same all year.

You know why I trust all these places will have huge sales? Because Lego sells better than anything else. They have room and will sell insane amounts of it. No way Amazon looks at what was sold on Cyber Monday last year and says "lets not do that again".

Like 30 sets went OOS.

Im taking Cyber Monday off work BTW.

• Like 4

Everyone settle down. Listen, these same exact words were said last year. Everyone was freaking out about lack of sales. Black Friday was decent last year - couple of nice things, especially the Walmart deal.

Im taking Cyber Monday off work BTW.

DNIM your post gets a like from me.  Know why?

46 years and I have never thought of taking off work for Cyber Monday.  Turkey Day, yep, Days around it yep, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years, Yep but never Cyber Monday.

Great Idea.

I'll plan on it this year and then I can have my coffee and computer and BP threads refreshing constantly. :)

• Like 1

DNIM your post gets a like from me. Know why?

46 years and I have never thought of taking off work for Cyber Monday. Turkey Day, yep, Days around it yep, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years, Yep but never Cyber Monday.

Great Idea.

I'll plan on it this year and then I can have my coffee and computer and BP threads refreshing constantly. :)

I requested CM off back in March, folks around here thought it was nuts :)
  • Like 1