79003 - An Unexpected Gathering

Keep in mind that it may not be popular in your area as well.  I take stock rotting on the local shelves with a grain of salt as once you open up to the global market things change.  I have seen maybe 1 to 2 of these in my local area in the past 9 months at retail.  It really just depends, this set is going to do very well just give it time....

There have been none in any of my local big box retailers since last summer when they first hit the $49 walmart clearance price. I bought 20 of them, but left several in a few stores and they went fast. Once it is officially gone, people will wish they bought one when they were cheap. I just put one together from a bulk lot, and really enjoyed the build (I have it available for sale right now for $45 BIN). It displays nicely too. I think it will do well.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

• Like 1

Which reminds me.... The grand national is just around the corner, I had bets on three horses last year and they all came in the top four, aurora encore winning at 66-1 so I was won 67 from my fiver of bets. Teaforthree may be a good bet each way this year.

I walked home from my brothers today rather than taking the train as the train police were on board checking tickets and issuing 20 quid fines, the lady was nice enough to tell a kid on his bike that he better have a ticket, luckily enough I heard and got off the train having just boarded, I could have waited for the next train but I decided to walk the hour journey back home, it could be a coincidence but there is a horse running tomorrow called " walk on" at 40-1, it sometimes works like this... Could be worth an each way flutter.

If these were available online for $49, I would definitely buy some.

There have been none in any of my local big box retailers since last summer when they first hit the $49 walmart clearance price. I bought 20 of them, but left several in a few stores and they went fast. Once it is officially gone, people will wish they bought one when they were cheap. I just put one together from a bulk lot, and really enjoyed the build (I have it available for sale right now for $45 BIN). It displays nicely too. I think it will do well.

I thought you were selling a new one for $45. Scrambled to get to eBay via laptop (was using mobile phone) but didn't find it. Looked for your post and realized I misread it. Lol!

But where I live at least 2 Walmart's have been placing this on clearance for $49 for months without selling many.

Two months ago I came to one store that had 7 on the Clearance aisle. Today I dropped by the same store and saw that they still had 5. The Walmart app shows that the other local store still has them on clearance, but I don't know how many.

First, 49$ is a good deal but I think that people that wanted this set already did with at the same price (best price was 46$ on amazon, I think it would have been easy to have one at 55$ nearly whenever).

Second, I bought 3 months ago on my two local stores:

2x queen anne's 4195 at -33% RRP (no sales, it was a "normal" price)

4x dino QH 5887 at -30% RRP (and I could have more but I didn't because I wasn't that confident about that set for my country -seems that I was right-)

So... you see... local sales doens't mean too much (of course it's a bug clue ! but it doesn't read the future).

If I'm right, I think that there were nice deals with the Queen Anne's 2 years ago. Look at it now.

I wouldn't ignore that 79003 set (nor the pirate ambush).  I don't mean it will be super-awesome but it's worth trying to seat on a few boxes for a couple of years.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm more of a collector than investor but my local kmart had a stack of these at $31, I couldn't pass and ended up with 5 of these. I was going to keep the. For the pieces - maybe build a shire, but for these posts I might have to hang in.

At least hold three of those and maybe use the other two to build a much larger shire. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I hear you. My local walmart still has pirate ship ambush, unexpected gathering, and goblin king at full msrp.

I haven't seen a GK in a long time, but there's still a lot of Pirate ships here.  Not sure how many more of those I want, but I'll grab more UG's if the price is right.

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is one of the best looking sets Lego has ever done. It really captures the spirit of Bag End perfectly using Lego. The interior is so well detailed and it works for Hobbit and LoTR fans alike.

Maybe I'm biased because I'm such a huge fan of LoTR but between this, Helms deep, and Orthanc, I believe Lego has outdone itself in terms of what is possible to recreate with Lego bricks.

I think this is one of the best looking sets Lego has ever done. It really captures the spirit of Bag End perfectly using Lego. The interior is so well detailed and it works for Hobbit and LoTR fans alike.

Maybe I'm biased because I'm such a huge fan of LoTR but between this, Helms deep, and Orthanc, I believe Lego has outdone itself in terms of what is possible to recreate with Lego bricks.

Indeed it is a great set, Orthanc is by far an attention grabber though, one of these days im going to buy a second one and mod them so they fit back to back making a real tower. HD is kind of the same as Orthanc, it really needs a second set to make it feel complete.

Indeed it is a great set, Orthanc is by far an attention grabber though, one of these days im going to buy a second one and mod them so they fit back to back making a real tower. HD is kind of the same as Orthanc, it really needs a second set to make it feel complete.

Complete...but expensive!

• 3 months later...