79003 - An Unexpected Gathering

This set will be around until until they finish the entire line of LOTR based sets, it's too iconic, creative, and family friendly.

Disagree. Most retailers have stopped stocking this in the UK, and the ones that are have it pretty much at RRP. Pretty convinced this is gone before Christmas, feel free to come back and quote me in January.

Many retail stores have already clearanced this set around here (Target, Meijer, Kroger, Walmart).  It can still be found at TRU and a handful of Walmarts on clearance for $54.  My buy-in was under $50 each so I think I'm done acquiring it unless LEGO clears it out on their website for 30-50% off.

Mentioned in DD thread for today but just so happens Entertainment Earth has this (and some other LOTR sets) 20% off today:

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=LG79003&utm_source=EE_DN&utm_medium=email&utm_content=LG79003&utm_campaign=DN_101114

Don't think there is an affiliate link for EE but if so, mods please work your magic!

after resisting chima, galaxy squad clearance, i became an accidental hobbit investor after picking up all the sets they had at 63% off msrp.  i'm still not sure it was smartest spending but i'm only out $300 and could sell the minifigures to recoup the costs and have lots of new bricks to part out or build itchy's fun dungeon.

post-33930-0-70339800-1413211445_thumb.j

post-33930-0-95139400-1413211487_thumb.j

Edited by cladner
  • Like 3

Where I live, Wal-Mart puts sets at MSRP on a clearance table and hopes no one notices it's not really a clearance price.

They tend to do that around me as well especially this year's clearance it seems. At best 20%-25% off was the best they offered on anything even the bigger sets like Lake-town Chase or Gorzan's Gorilla Striker. There was a single Galaxy Squad something at 30% off I think but I already own a few at a way better lucky find deal.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a stack at my local Walmart that have been marked down to $49.97 for the past month.  I've been waiting patiently for a further markdown, but I'm not sure it will ever come.

Agreed, 50 for this set is very good and I would be grabbing even with the boatload I already have.

Agreed. If I unexpectedly came across another stack of these for $50 I would gather them up immediately! I've got twenty at that price, but would love to have more.

This is a very good set to invest in, because the price right now is great, it will retire soon, the 3rd movie is coming and certainly we will have a "ultimate-bluray-3d-collection-including-LOTR-movies-WOW-you-can't-miss-it-the-director's-cut-includes-3-seconds-not-seen-on-screens" which will help this set, and last but not least, it's quite a small box ! A lot of space will be saved in your room.

Wow I didn't expect that to happen so soon!

Also it's still available in the U.S.!

So that came unexpected! Anyhow I have my fair share of them stacked away ^.^

If any set were to retire unexpectedly, this would be the one :)

I have a dozen from Target Canada's 50% clearance, but I'd would jump at several more around the $50 price point. I don't see the Hobbit license lasting much longer and this set is by far my favorite.

if you were a LOTR/HObbit fan, and 10 years from now you wanted one set on your desk or shelf at work or home, you'd probably want this one.

Orthanc tower is way too big for most folks, and Helms Deep is too wide. This one is perfect, and comes with a bunch of hobbitses.

$50 today, $200 1 year after the line leaves the shelves.