79003 - An Unexpected Gathering

• 1 month later...

I think it will be back. With the final movie of the Hobbit release, it would be odd not to keep producing the most iconic set in the theme. At least one more run (hopefully).

oh man i hope it's not brought back.  it is one of the most awesome lego sets in general imo.  it's been out a while so hopefully, it's donezo.  

I doubt it will be back.  Retailers didn't hold the second Hobbit wave for very long with many putting them on clearance already.  I think the last Hobbit wave could have a short run at retail, though LEGO might keep them in stock throughout 2015.  I would buy UG now if you want it.

This set is absolutely not returning. It's been over two years and in an underperforming line. That being said, pretty much from moment one everyone has talked about how this set is iconic, and it's the one people will want from the Hobbit line for years to come. You've had plenty of time, and they were avail for 50-60 during most of its existence. Everyone should have a good stash of these. 

It may fall under the Long Term Hold plan, as I think a lot of people have grabbed some (and had plenty of time to do so at a good price) - but this is going to have appeal to AFOL's for a very long time to come. I don't think $250 is unreasonable for this thing in a couple years, and I would be pretty stunned if it settles for anything less than $200.

If you don't have any, TRU is still shipping for $65. 

Edited by Achilles
  • Like 1

I think it will be back. With the final movie of the Hobbit release, it would be odd not to keep producing the most iconic set in the theme. At least one more run (hopefully).

TLG rarely does things that make sense (like having HH available during Halloween, for example) and this set has already stuck around longer than its brethren from that wave. I'd be surprised if it comes back into stock after retailers discounted it so heavily and for so long.

Guest davewager78

Maybe this wasn't the smartest strategy, but i bought loads of these half price earlier this year, and have now sold them all for ~MRSP (+ buyer pays shipping) over this festive season. I'm quite happy to have got the cash back at the moment, as there have been other disappearing sets that i have been able to reinvest the money into

Maybe this wasn't the smartest strategy, but i bought loads of these half price earlier this year, and have now sold them all for ~MRSP (+ buyer pays shipping) over this festive season. I'm quite happy to have got the cash back at the moment, as there have been other disappearing sets that i have been able to reinvest the money into

Like you I also stocked up heavily on these but I won't be parting with mine for a couple of years. I expect UG to perform similarly to Harry Potter The Burrow

• Like 1

Guest davewager78

Like you I also stocked up heavily on these but I won't be parting with mine for a couple of years. I expect UG to perform similarly to Harry Potter The Burrow

Interesting. I'm less of a believer in even this Hobbit set. I don't think there's enough weight behind the films.

I think my view is probably prejudiced by the fact that i prefer to be trading than holding, so i'd rather take ~+70% on my outlay on these now, and recycle that cash into something else. I don't mind losing out on some future "upside" if it means i can come back to buy more 1/2 price sets as they're available

Interesting. I'm less of a believer in even this Hobbit set. I don't think there's enough weight behind the films.

The books have a huge following and this is reflected in the movies. Unexpected Journey grossed more at the box office than all but one Harry Potter film. This set also has connections to the Lord of the Rings franchise plus makes a fantastic display piece with iconic characters. There will always be demand for HP, LoTR and Hobbit sets and this one is only going to rise in value.

• Like 1

This is, by far, the best of the Hobbit sets.  Maybe even the best Lord of the Rings set, period.  It's a great build, with wonderful detail.  And it isn't really just a Hobbit set.  It crosses over to Lord of the Rings.  You could put a Frodo figure in it if you'd like.  It would still look the same.  The only thing that I could see de-valuing the set is if Lego decided to come out with a large version of it a year or two down the road...should they still continue to hold on to the license. 

The only thing that I could see de-valuing the set is if Lego decided to come out with a large version of it a year or two down the road...should they still continue to hold on to the license.

Unless any additional movies are planned I really don't see a fourth wave of sets being released. I own a lot of these, all bought at

TRU now has Unexpected Gathering back in stock at their "special" price of $79.99:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=15546136&cp=2255956.2273442.2255962.3696486.12706499&parentPage=family

You have to like that it was out of stock at $64.99 yesterday, but in stock today at the elevated price.

Great. Setting the over under on years this hangs around now at 3.5. Glad I only have four.

I've seen just 2 in my area over a span of probably 5 of the last retail stores I went to and it's "sold out" on lego LEGO Shop at Home so I'm not sure why this would be around...I think it's more than likely on it's last legs and going asap.  Try to use a coupon or get them to price match another stores listing and grab some of those 10 sets now.  

Edited by DenJ91

This is the only LOTR set I wish I had more of (ToO too). I also got them @ $25 from Kmart and Walmart over the summer, so it's already a winner. Wish I could have found more instead of Black Gates which bought in @ $36 and horrible horrible Goblin Kings @ $57. The Black Gates will probably be good in a few years but I have no hope for the Goblin Kings.