Dino - general discussion

deanearp

I put in a purchase for that online. But Walmart later cancelled the order saying it was out of stock. And I couldn't do a store pick up because of the same reason. I love dinos and have them all. I open one box but I am debating on buying another of the one I opened. I think I might just end up playing with all of them

The DINO sets were some nice ones. I think it was the price point that killed them. (Atleast for me it did.) That "T-Rex Hunter" is a good one, especially for half off. For half retail, I would grab all the DINO sets!

I agree with this. Dinosaur related LEGO sets have always been under the radar types of sets. Solid performers in the secondary market.

I agree that they are a good investment if you can get a discount. I did a review here of the Dino HQ and my kids and I think it is a great set, very playable. They also really liked the Tricertops set. Kids have loved dinosaurs for decades and I don't see that going away soon. Anecdotally it looks like Lego comes out with a new Dino theme about every other year on the inbetween years the price seems to go up on whatever is still available.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

50% off MSRP should see you solidly established when these start to appreciate on the secondary market. Where I'm located I still see these sets on the shelves, but they're full price so I'm hesitant to pull the trigger. Probably won't touch them until they go down at least 30%, which means I won't get any of them as I'm not going to roam the city price watching/hounding toy department managers, but that's life :)

• 3 weeks later...

The thing I am worried with this Dino theme is once Jurassic Park 4 is released LEGO might just do another batch and those become less valuable. Its a point to look at when letting them appreciate, I would sell them once I would make 2x my own price i paid for them . Its just me though

• 2 months later...

I finally bought a few sets late.  T-Rex Hunter and the Triceratops Trapper.

I think the Dino figures are just plain awesome.  I had to spend the normal price but they were worth it.  The Trapper vehicle is decent.  The Helicopter sucks though.  But still the dinos are awesome.  I really wished they'd continue this and release a Brontosaurus (even though they don't actually exist).

• 2 weeks later...

I saw all the sets from this theme and none of them drew my attention. I'm evaluating if it is too late to jump in on some of them that I can find at a little bit under retail price.

I am exactly why some of us invest in Lego, people start to want something once they can't have it.

I saw all the sets from this theme and none of them drew my attention. I'm evaluating if it is too late to jump in on some of them that I can find at a little bit under retail price.

I am exactly why some of us invest in Lego, people start to want something once they can't have it.

I wouldn't buy either the T-Rex Hunter of Triceratops Trapper at retail for investment purposes.  Both have been retired for a few months, and while the T-Rex Hunter shows some growth, I'm not bullish on it - it's got a long way to go to make it a strong investment.  Save your money and invest in something else.

That said, my son has both and loves them.  They're really cool toys.