Scripting - Page Monitors, In-Stock Trackers, etc.

sjbdeebo2

I'm no pro, but it wouldn't surprise me if 14 identical requests every 60 seconds from the same host would be caught by their detection systems.  I can only imagine what kind of sophisticated programs they have to analyze their logs and identify this sort of activity.

Sounds like VPN is the right way to go if you want any chance at picking up some of the hot EOL items.

If you are patient for another day, maybe two at the tops, I will be pushing the latest release of our stock tracker that will finally include alerts via SMS, Email and website.  We did some super cool stuff to keep times down really low.  I don't think any other service is doing this.  Right now, it is tracking a little over 1500 different links non stop and most get checked in a few seconds and at the most under a minute.  It's crazy   :danced:

If you haven't seen, the last update we had is tracking LEGO sets from all the different Amazon Regions as well as 8 different LEGO regions.  I am waiting on a few answers for Non USA members, but they will at least be able to get email and website alerts here on brickpicker.  Hopefully I get the answer I am looking for and then they will be able to register their phone numbers to get alerts as well.

I have been testing it the past few days with Ed and it has been working great.  I know I need to add a bunch of sets to the list, I will get to that tomorrow.

So I wrote that Python script over the weekend for nothing? :)

Actually it was a good learning experience and besides, I probably don't have the time, capital, or patience to figure out how to do this at scale so I'm glad people much smarter than me have figured this out.  

This is very exciting news for the BrickPicker community!  How do you guys find time to do all of this?

• Like 1

So I wrote that Python script over the weekend for nothing? :)

Actually it was a good learning experience and besides, I probably don't have the time, capital, or patience to figure out how to do this at scale so I'm glad people much smarter than me have figured this out.  

This is very exciting news for the BrickPicker community!  How do you guys find time to do all of this?

It's honestly non stop.  Most of the time Ed and I are up early morning replying to people, etc before our day starts.  I try to get some work done before the 9-5 job starts and then late at night we continue on with our projects.

This tracker project was pretty cool.  A lot of trial and error, but I am very happy with it right now. While typing the last message, I had a whole bunch of alerts go off here telling me that Cinderella's Romantic Castle was now in stock at Walmart.  It is costly though, much more than I was anticipating.  We will see how it goes and if members respond and use it.

It's honestly non stop. Most of the time Ed and I are up early morning replying to people, etc before our day starts. I try to get some work done before the 9-5 job starts and then late at night we continue on with our projects.

This tracker project was pretty cool. A lot of trial and error, but I am very happy with it right now. While typing the last message, I had a whole bunch of alerts go off here telling me that Cinderella's Romantic Castle was now in stock at Walmart. It is costly though, much more than I was anticipating. We will see how it goes and if members respond and use it.

I don't think the use of it will be a problem if the response time becomes faster than your competitors. I for one am looking forward to this to help me out in the future. This will help give me some edge when it comes to the limited items. Granted I will have more competition, I have more of a chance. I have used other sites and the most recent has helped me gain access to sets that I would miss on but I never stand a chance against the ones with their own scripts and limited delivery settings. I will be looking forward to testing your system and if you have affiliate links built in, have no problem giving you folks the payout for your work and knowledge.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app

• 2 years later...

Does anyone happen to have a program or bot they use that they use for checking local Walmarts they wouldn't mind sharing? Similar to what BS does or brickpickers target checker. I technically have all the coding for it but I don't speak the language. If anyone does and is willing to share please PM me. Sorry I know this is a bit off topic. 

Alternatively, if anyone has knowledge of json, java, and all that fun stuff and would like to work together by all means I'm for it.

Edited by fkane
added alternative part
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fkane said:

Does anyone happen to have a program or bot they use that they use for checking local Walmarts they wouldn't mind sharing? Similar to what BS does or brickpickers target checker. I technically have all the coding for it but I don't speak the language. If anyone does and is willing to share please PM me. Sorry I know this is a bit off topic. 

Alternatively, if anyone has knowledge of json, java, and all that fun stuff and would like to work together by all means I'm for it.

good luck. Unless Im doing it wrong it works on the app, not the regular online website.

Just now, justapilgrim said:

good luck. Unless Im doing it wrong it works on the app, not the regular online website.

I have the coding to search specific stores, like I said I just don't know how to use the code I have. I get the basic concepts of JS but I'm too basic to submit a GET request and format the returned JSON data.

31 minutes ago, Jeff Mack said:

It puzzles me why people choose to post odd stuff in a deals thread.

Proposal: create a mirror thread called Daily Deals Discussion. Put some code in that copies each entry in DD to that thread (and a sticky to the DDD thread in DD). Then moderate the DD and delete non-deal posts, while allowing discussion in DDD

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Phil B said:

Proposal: create a mirror thread called Daily Deals Discussion. Put some code in that copies each entry in DD to that thread (and a sticky to the DDD thread in DD). Then moderate the DD and delete non-deal posts, while allowing discussion in DDD

I think this is a great idea if one of the goals is to grow this community and be welcoming to all who share the same interest.   It's more welcoming to noobs like myself who ask stupid questions and the rest of us who like to drivel/complain/discuss/berate/analyze/applaud deals!  

We've tried several things like this, everyone lands here.

We've tried several things like this, everyone lands here.

Have you tried a "just the deals" thread? Only mods could post to it. They would interpret the main DD thread and post, just the deals.

And it would be awesome if it was broken down by store.

1 hour ago, Phil B said:

Duplication, confusion, and people will probably just post in here thinking they posted in the other thread.  I understand the concept, but execution will probably lead to disaster.  We have plenty of other threads that are general investing, non-daily deal discussion, etc.  That question had nothing to do about daily deals, so it could have easily gone in the non-daily deal discussion.  No need to create another exact duplicate of this.