3937 - Olivia's Speedboat

Doofy McGee

These are only $10 apiece, so there isn't a whole lot of risk here. I have been getting into Friends a little more lately, and I have two young daughters who like the theme. Any opinions? As we all know, it is hard to pass up on any set that is retiring soon or harder to find.

While $10 is retail, it is a good set to invest in IMO and soon to go bye-bye...I guess. LOL. These Friends sets just don't get discounted with any regularity.

Yeah, I struggle with paying retail for something like this too, but things just don't go on clearance in my area. The only time I get clearance deals is when somebody foolishly returns something to Target and I'm the first one to happen upon it. It seems that LEGO may be a little more popular in my neck of the woods compared to your average place.

Yes. This set along with several of the 3XXX sets are hard to find near me. The other ones that stand out to grab if you find them is Mia's Puppy House, Andrea's Bunny House, and Stephanie's Pet Patrol. Haven't found nary a one of them in any Target or Wal-Mart near me.

Yes. This set along with several of the 3XXX sets are hard to find near me. The other ones that stand out to grab if you find them is Mia's Puppy House, Andrea's Bunny House, and Stephanie's Pet Patrol. Haven't found nary a one of them in any Target or Wal-Mart near me.

I have several of all of those, mostly bought on sale :)

I just grabbed another Mia's Puppy House at a WalMart in Atlanta tonight. On clearance for $7!!

2 thoughts - just because something is cheap does not always make it a good investment also in investing do not forget your 'gut feeling' = that speedboat set to me just does not seem to be destined to be collectable or special in any way - pretty dull don't you think? (possibly why it is being discontinued) i don't think there are any stand out friends sets maybe the riding school - they are very bitty , with not obvious long term staying power , IMO. although i do like the ones with azure and lavender pieces like the laboratory and design studio. (maybe the stage too.) I think what comes to mind first is a good indicator of staying power .. all about desirability whether right now or 5 years after a set has been retired. what's desirable now? - go to TRU and watch the kids ... :) and anything that's reduced 50% on sale is probably a safe bet though .. :) good luck.

• 2 months later...

This is a first for us - we bought 3933 (Olivia's Invention Workshop) from Walmart, and I verified that the box is sealed with original tape - everything looks "factory tight" (no "loose" on either end of box). Yet, inside was unopened bags and instruction book for 3937 (Olivia's Speedboat). If someone had switched boxes and returned it to Walmart, it makes absolutely no sense because both are $9.99 and what's more, Olivia's Speedboat is retiring soon (according to LEGO.com), so one would think someone else would try to score the Speedboat instead of Invention Workshop. This makes me think LEGO made a legit mistake in packaging the contents of a box. Has this happened to anyone before? We already have Olivia's Speedboat. What should I do, try to take it back to Walmart, or contact LEGO.com customer service and explain the situation? Worse case - we can probably sell Olivia's Speedboat for profit anyway and recoup the costs, use it to buy Olivia's Invention Workshop.

Call Lego they will make it right........its funny how you looked at it from an investors point of view. Nothing against you just made me chuckle when i read it :) I'm betting that less than .5% of friends sets sold are for investment purposes.

That thought did cross my mind too ;) (btw, 90% of Friends sets we buy are for our kids, not for investing, except a few big ones like Summer Camp and Olivia's House). Its just I can't figure out why there would be a motive to switch contents, so I have to chalk it up to legit mistake on LEGO's part.

I have a receipt from Walmart on 3/20 showing the set # (3933) was purchased for $9.88. I doubt LEGO can send me 3933 parts, so I guess I'm probably looking at a refund or recouping $9.88 by selling Speedboat parts on eBay. Will still give their customer service a try though.

Just thought this was very odd.

Yes very odd........I also think it might be a mistake on TLGs part but if that is the case you cant help but wonder how it happened.

Lego uses robots to move their bricks and boxes around in their Denmark factory. All it takes is one robot putting the boxes in the wrong set packaging area. It is very strange so I would call Lego and explain to them what happened.

• 1 month later...

Retails for $13.95 CAN, local store had 3-5 boxes on clearance of each set at $5. I just couldn't pull the trigger for some reason...maybe I'll change my mind and see tomorrow. Can't complain about the margin/discount. Just curious, any of you would have purchased?

• 2 months later...