76042 - SHIELD Helicarrier

KShine

2 hours ago, emazers said:

I always Emails and I have talked to alot of guys on this site asking me what I am buying and what I will be buying, which I always give them the 100% Truth, alot have listened and I am sure many have not, now on the Helicarrier I will have 3-5 thats all, not saying it won't do great, I would rather have 10-15 Sandcrawlers, I already have my goals on 25 Slave1, 26 Tumblers, and all the Exclusives that should be retiring in the next year, and will be buying 5 more Simpson sets to have 15 each, and the main thing mentally for me is that I don't have to do the Panic buying, and getting them online and get damaged boxes. I get all mine at the Lego stores all great mint boxes. So for the guys that can afford it pick up the Exclusives now and then, which I been saying for a few years,   Ed

From reading your post, it appears you aren't a big fan of this set. Why not?  

One thing I always factor into my decision making when buying sets for investment is the box art, not just how the set looks on display. After all it the box that people look at time after time while they're debating whether or not to part with their hard earned money.

Box art was the final push that made me buy another DS , a set that I'm not to bothered about display wise, but which has a absolutely fantastic box. Its looks collectible, retro, expensive and that massive Star Wars logo on the side just finishes it off perfectly.

Now I don't think for a second that this will ever have the demand of the big SW sets, but the box does look pretty good, better than the set on its own anyway. Its big and has an expensive look about it. It looks, well it looks collectible.  Anyway, this is one of the reasons Ive bought a couple (at good discount I might add) for investment and i'll leave it add that. Hoping for a short shelf life as always.

I don't want go off topic but... :money:

10188.jpg

10188 2.jpg

Edited by TheGallows
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, BP said:
2 hours ago, BP said:

I think this will be a Seacow story. 

It's huge, it's nice and we all know we are going to get a ****load of Marvel movies shoved down our throats in the next couple of years. 

2nd that, read up. 

Big set, big price, weak theme - they key common element will probably be how long it stays around. I could see it being a surprise Q4 2016 retirement.

Still, when you compare how badly Tumbler is doing against Red5 in Europe, it is hard to make a case for investing in this set over say a Sandcrawler or 2 Slaves.

Edited by Val-E

12 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Big set, big price, weak theme - they key common element will probably be how long it stays around. I could see it being a surprise Q4 2016 retirement.

Still, when you compare how badly Tumbler is doing against Red5 in Europe, it is hard to make a case for investing in this set over say a Sandcrawler or 2 Slaves.

True, but the R5 has had a massive head start, continued availability has really hampered the tumblers growth. I've a feeling the gap will level out long term.

• Like 1

The both got tagged retiring soon the same day but we´ll never know how many of each were left in stock. So far, the curse of Super Heroes is continuing so I´d be wary of investing in the Heli Carrier unless Tumbler picks up substantially over the next year.

33 minutes ago, Val-E said:

What do you see as the selling price differences between the 2? In the US, they are very similar. I also just did a quick peek on Amazon Spain, and the two are both priced at around 350 EUR. Sorry if I'm missing something.

Also, I think this set is a bit different simply because you don't get so many big super hero/Marvel display sets. If you take a look at the products, most fall within the $10-$50 price range. The higher priced batman sets are all play sets (aside from the Tumbler which has shown promise).

Star Wars has many more sets in the mid-high price range (20 products that cost $150 or more) because this is a theme that appeals to adults (as well as kids of course) who can afford to buy the top dollar products.

Anyways, my point is that I don't think this set should be dismissed simply because it's part of the super hero line which has been doing poorly. We don't have a point of comparison since there haven't been any other large super hero display sets. Hopefully more come out because as of now, almost all (or all) or the super hero sets have been play sets. Marvel and super heroes also have a big target audience within the adult market, so I don't know why they wouldn't capitalize on larger display sets given the huge success of the Marvel with the beginning of the movie franchise.

Could the Sandcrawler or Slave 1 be better investments? Maybe. Star Wars sets historically have shown good growth, but it has also recently attracted a lot more attention due to the influx of new investors (myself included). This means this set will be hoarded less as people choose to invest their money elsewhere. A higher price point also leads to less hoarding which is only a good thing post-EOL.

Well, I think it's a great set! Have one on display and another one sitting.

9 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

It will remain underwhelming for the rest of your life if you take a look at this

At around 3:45 talking about The LEGO Movie.
"So your only complaint is the movie was too short?"
"....Yeah. Yeah, I could have sat there another couple hours enjoying all the LEGO shi...scenery."
:rofl:

Awe-inspiring build all the same.

• Like 1

The lesser people buying this set the better. Only 1 year of shelf life PLUS being super underhoarded is a dream combination for any investment. 

I don't see how anything can go wrong with that combo 

Some guys may not like it, but it has perfect reviews on Amazon and Lego LEGO Shop at Home, so it's proof that alot of others do like the set. 

I personally like it because it's the closest I can get to a Lego Aircraft Carrier. Will be picking a few more up before I regret it.

23 minutes ago, TheOrcKing said:

At around 3.45 talking about The LEGO Movie.
"So your only complaint is the movie was too short?"
"....Yeah. Yeah, I could have sat there another couple hours enjoying all the LEGO shi...scenery."
:rofl:

Awe-inspiring build all the same.

That's what it sounded like in 3rd minute lol

plus 5:20 : " so when you're not doing things with Lego, what do you like to do?"

".......ummmm, I don't know...."

very cool model

Edited by Lordoflego
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Ensche said:

What about Death Star, SSD, SOH, and all the others... they aren't minifig scale either. But they don't include microfigs. So perhaps it's all about these "microfig scale" models?

Just because I don't like the scale of the SHIELD Helicarrier doesn't mean others shouldn't like it either. :) I'm just giving my own feelings about this set, and I'm probably just particular about things that others don't care about. 

Regarding the SSD (10221) ... if I could choose, I'd rather have the UCS ISD (10030) than the SSD because on the scale they've been made by LEGO, I find the ISD conveying more of its massive size:

56b99d635df79_ISDvsSSD.thumb.jpg.3de0fc9

(image acquired through Google Image search, with source: Eurobricks)

Of course, if you hang a (micro sized) TIE Fighter next to that ISD, you'd have a similar situation as the SSD here with the micro-sized ISD next to it. :P 

But, anyway, the Helicarrier is just not a LEGO model I would want to put up on display myself. Different strokes for different folks, right? :) 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nawoo said:

The lesser people buying this set the better. Only 1 year of shelf life PLUS being super underhoarded is a dream combination for any investment. 

I don't see how anything can go wrong with that combo 

Some guys may not like it, but it has perfect reviews on Amazon and Lego LEGO Shop at Home, so it's proof that alot of others do like the set. 

I personally like it because it's the closest I can get to a Lego Aircraft Carrier. Will be picking a few more up before I regret it.

Well it's not retired yet, could be around for quite a while longer

9 hours ago, lostontheverglow said:

What do you see as the selling price differences between the 2? In the US, they are very similar. I also just did a quick peek on Amazon Spain, and the two are both priced at around 350 EUR. Sorry if I'm missing something.

Also, I think this set is a bit different simply because you don't get so many big super hero/Marvel display sets. If you take a look at the products, most fall within the $10-$50 price range. The higher priced batman sets are all play sets (aside from the Tumbler which has shown promise).

Star Wars has many more sets in the mid-high price range (20 products that cost $150 or more) because this is a theme that appeals to adults (as well as kids of course) who can afford to buy the top dollar products.

Anyways, my point is that I don't think this set should be dismissed simply because it's part of the super hero line which has been doing poorly. We don't have a point of comparison since there haven't been any other large super hero display sets. Hopefully more come out because as of now, almost all (or all) or the super hero sets have been play sets. Marvel and super heroes also have a big target audience within the adult market, so I don't know why they wouldn't capitalize on larger display sets given the huge success of the Marvel with the beginning of the movie franchise.

Could the Sandcrawler or Slave 1 be better investments? Maybe. Star Wars sets historically have shown good growth, but it has also recently attracted a lot more attention due to the influx of new investors (myself included). This means this set will be hoarded less as people choose to invest their money elsewhere. A higher price point also leads to less hoarding which is only a good thing post-EOL.

Well, I think it's a great set! Have one on display and another one sitting.

My comparison was Europe not US and Amazon prices are not a good indicator because they don´t reflect actual sales. Compare on Ebay or Bricklink and you´ll likely see a different story altogether. Of course, the long termers won´t care as there will probably be a convergence over time but I don´t plan on keeping either for ten years to find out!

Super Heroes cannot hold a candle to SW right now and we have seen that time and time over - who would take a Milano jet over a 9493 X wing, for example? The higher up the price range you go, the less demand for SH stuff there will be as essentially it´s a kids based theme (in Europe).

What would make this set grow is relative scarcity through a short lifecycle but if it doesn´t retire this year, my money would be safer with either one of the SW sets mentioned, or indeed EV.

6 minutes ago, TheGallows said:

Well it's not retired yet, could be around for quite a while longer

Exactly, never count your T1´s before they have EOL´d!

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Val-E said:

My comparison was Europe not US and Amazon prices are not a good indicator because they don´t reflect actual sales. Compare on Ebay or Bricklink and you´ll likely see a different story altogether. Of course, the long termers won´t care as there will probably be a convergence over time but I don´t plan on keeping either for ten years to find out!

Super Heroes cannot hold a candle to SW right now and we have seen that time and time over - who would take a Milano jet over a 9493 X wing, for example? The higher up the price range you go, the less demand for SH stuff there will be as essentially it´s a kids based theme (in Europe).

What would make this set grow is relative scarcity through a short lifecycle but if it doesn´t retire this year, my money would be safer with either one of the SW sets mentioned, or indeed EV.

Exactly, never count your T1´s before they have EOL´d!

I mentioned that I checked out the Spain Amazon shop, and the prices are the same there too, but I see your point. Anyways, I think that what you said about the two leveling out near the same price point in the long term kind of supports the idea that a good (subjective), displayable super hero set can hold its own against a SW themed set.

And that's what I was trying to get at. As of now, since most of the SH sets are play sets, it hasn't been the best for investments. Aside from the Tumbler (which you mentioned shows promise), this is probably the only other real display set targeted towards adults. I agree it's a kids based theme right now, but it has the potential to expand to pique the interest of AFOLs. I'm sure a UCS Milano or Quinjet would generate interest if properly done. I guess the biggest issue would be the fact that there are just a lot more iconic SW vehicles. But I think if Lego could pick and choose some really great designs (Tumbler, Helicarrier, X-Men Blackbird, Green Hornet's Black Beauty, F4's Fantasti-car, Iron Man armor, etc...honestly don't know how all of that would work with the licensing, but you get the point), the SH sets would show great promise.

I didn't mind picking up an extra, and I'll be fine even if it doesn't retire this year. Like I said, so many hoarders focusing on SW right now, it couldn't hurt ;)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, inversion said:

too big

too big

too big

I can't believe you just said that. There is no LEGO set that is TOO big. 

I agree for the SSD - this one can't be large enough :-). Just because anybody who has seen the SW movies on a large screen knows it's so huge.

The helicarrier hasn't left me that same unforgettable impression. I doubt many of my friends would understand why I would expose it in my living room for example (lol).

1 hour ago, ZULU said:

I agree for the SSD - this one can't be large enough :-). Just because anybody who has seen the SW movies on a large screen knows it's so huge.

The helicarrier hasn't left me that same unforgettable impression. I doubt many of my friends would understand why I would expose it in my living room for example (lol).

It's due to the bad design, not the size. In a smaller size it would be even worse, believe me.

Edited by inversion
  • Like 1

I think a UCS quinjet would have been a better collectible as it can be to scale to minifigs and yet be big enough for a UCS. Helicarrier has always been a weird contraption. It is obviously modelled after an aircraft carrier but with an illogical twist; who would want a flying ship initially design pre WW2? It is a little too steampunk for me.

On February 9, 2016 at 8:09 AM, chipbee said:

I think a UCS quinjet would have been a better collectible as it can be to scale to minifigs and yet be big enough for a UCS. Helicarrier has always been a weird contraption. It is obviously modelled after an aircraft carrier but with an illogical twist; who would want a flying ship initially design pre WW2? It is a little too steampunk for me.

I would have to respectfully disagree.   I saw the movie once and don't even remember what a quinjet is.  Or maybe a quinjet is from the marvel cartoons. Either way, I would say I am a pretty big sci-fi geek.  I see almost every sci-fi action flick, have collected a long time, listen to sci-fi movie score soundtracks and I am not too familiar with the quinjet.

Lack of familiarity, lack of an iconic nature would kill the quinjet.  The Hellicarrier is something that everyone remembers the first time you see that in the movie.  It is a rather iconic vehicle.  This will do extremely well for a mumber of reasons.  It is iconic.  It evokes emotions.  Many teenagers and early 20s people who saw this movie when it came out will be earning a decent salary in 5-10 years after the movie came out .  They will then get nostalgic and want to buy it on the secondary market for a premium.  This is unlikely to be remade.  This was underhoarded and is something nice ebough to put in an office.  Plus you can buy a power pack to power the propellers adding to the Wow factor.

If this isnt selling for 800-900,  3-4 years after retirement I would be shocked.  The only reason would be overhoarding.  With a continual stream of marvel movies this design will always be at the fore front of peoples minds, and the age group that would want it will be ripening to pay the crazy aftermarket prices at just the right time.