76042 - SHIELD Helicarrier

KShine

5 Minifigs, plus microfigs for playing?  Different, but it's still an impressive model.

I like it, but disagree with your statement. This is absolutely not a playset, the micro stuff is too small for playing. They are there for display only which I actually like, it looks more lively this way.

In terms of minifigs I would have liked a Bruce Banner. We have so many Hulk variants but not the man. This would have been a good opportunity to include him instead of Maria Hill.

• Like 1

The more I think about it, the more I really like the microfigures with the interior control room and everything.  I know it's not a SSD, but I think back to that little tiny bridge they tried for a 'play feature' and it was a pretty lame attempt IMO.  I just put the minifigs in front of it to display.  Not really worth doing anything else with.

But honestly, for the general size of the UCS, this actually has more playability as it were, with this set.  And it's funny to read all the comments from people who were expecting 10+ minifigs, and practically minifig scale.

Of course, like most of you, I am a little bummed we didn't get a Coulson minifig.  Seemed like an opportunity wasted really.

No thanks, it seems an attempt to market the UCS line, but poorly executed. Just looking at the actual minifig display vs. The helicarrier I say poor job. None forme. TThiis not a star wars theme type ship. Too bad. I have arrived at the conclusion that in this age of investing just because Lego makes something does not mean it will be prudent investment.

• Like 2

No thanks, it seems an attempt to market the UCS line, but poorly executed. Just looking at the actual minifig display vs. The helicarrier I say poor job. None forme. TThiis not a star wars theme type ship. Too bad. I have arrived at the conclusion that in this age of investing just because Lego makes something does not mean it will be prudent investment.

On those lines...

I know initial demand will be DECENT despite the $350 MSRP. The real question is how will demand be after 6 months (of retail) up to the months leading into retirement. Will demand stay strong? I honestly don't know how to predict this set.

On those lines...

I know initial demand will be DECENT despite the $350 MSRP. The real question is how will demand be after 6 months (of retail) up to the months leading into retirement. Will demand stay strong? I honestly don't know how to predict this set.

How was the demand for the SSD throughout its production life? Or 10179? This set will do fine, every Marvel movie that comes out will spike interest in this set, weather a Hellicarrier is in the movie or not.

Well you can be sure, I won't be competing for inventory. I will display the older UCS star wars in my house. I would not display this. Either make it a play set 10188 or make it a display dsII. Most grown men who would actually pay 350.00 would not display this. IMO. everyone recognizes star wars ships, most would not have a clue on thos one. The tumbler on the other hand, very well executed, displayable, afol target market. To each his own though.

• Like 3

I want to save this thread and show these comments when this retires. I am confident that this set will do very well. I don't know what people expected, 3000 pieces is pretty much the maximum we see nowadays. It has minifigs? Yeah, for display reasons. This set is not any less AFOL than other older SW UCS no matter how I look at it. 

As I remember SSD received the same treatment when it came out for pretty much the same reasons. And anybody who compares it to the IDEAS set should know that it had 10k pieces.

Edited by inversion
  • Like 1

Well you can be sure, I won't be competing for inventory. I will display the older UCS star wars in my house. I would not display this. Either make it a play set 10188 or make it a display dsII. Most grown men who would actually pay 350.00 would not display this. IMO. everyone recognizes star wars ships, most would not have a clue on thos one. The tumbler on the other hand, very well executed, displayable, afol target market. To each his own though.

While I agree that this set has a slight identity issue I don't see it as a problem. Our generation grew up on Star Wars, we know and love the ships from the OT. The generation that this set is aimed at grew up watching Iron Man, Captain America (not the Ned Beaty one), The Avengers. This set represents their childhood, not ours. When it retires in 3-5 years it will do just fine.

• Like 2

Now that is some display model. :blink: Only thing surprising me is how those monitors are held because going by LEGO's own standards of connection, they aren't exactly held or snapped in place. It isn't quite an illegal connection but seen more in the builders' community. In any case, LEGO did not mess around with this one and sorry to say but expecting full minifigure scale is a bit out of hand let alone out of reach for wallets of the majority.

• Like 1

Waddamon's point about this not being as recognizable as SW Ships has a point.  Although he seems to be missing the fact that the Star Wars movies have an almost 40 year seniority in the film realm as compared to the Avengers movie.  And as much as the Avengers has made and the insane popularity of Marvel movies have been, there's no doubt in my mind that this set will be recognizable.

It had enough of a film presence to really implant in your mind.  This set will do very well when it retires.  I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit SSD levels once it retires.  And not to mention with the new Avengers movie, people will be out buying this set regardless of it being in it or not.

• Like 1

If you go over to brickset, they have some other images of this bad boy, and they have close ups of the runways, and it appears that they are printed pieces and not stickers.  WIN IMO.  It's a pain as it is placing the plaque stickers, it would be an extra pain to have to put stickers on the runway.

If you go over to brickset, they have some other images of this bad boy, and they have close ups of the runways, and it appears that they are printed pieces and not stickers.  WIN IMO.  It's a pain as it is placing the plaque stickers, it would be an extra pain to have to put stickers on the runway.

There's a video there as well.