76042 - SHIELD Helicarrier

KShine

I couldn't disagree more with this statement.

Have you watched the Avengers or Captain America 2?  It is very iconic and Captain America 2 was basically based around them. If your a fan which I'm assuming your not you would notice it right away.  Its more deserving of a UCS then the b-wing

That is why I said "IMO". The movies are good, that does not make them iconoc. Nor is this ship iconic. That word is easily used, but not easily understood. Certain images, characters, stand the test of time. Others do not. Super hero movies are already testing those limits. There are only so many times you can have an all earth/world annihilation barely averted before people do not care anymore. Again, I state that just because lego makes it, slaps a UCS on it does not make it gold. That does not mean people will buy it. It is expensive, money kids don't have. No big deal, not my thing. A wayne monor, or 5 or 6 story high avengers tower would have been much better, ucs bat cave etc. Carry on folks. Just for frame of reference i own all of the first captain america silver age books and have most of the journey into mystery other than the first two, most of the first avengers etc. I invest for a certain market amd.objective and this is not it.
  • Like 2

I love this set. Sure, it's not as big as that Lego Ideas one, but if that version was produced, it'd be WAY more expensive than $350, and a lot of people are already complaining about the price of this one. Not sure if I'll pick this up on day 1 or wait until double VIP points and a promo, but it will definitely be bought. One for investment and the other to build. 

I think Lego hit a homerun with the microfigures. That bridge looks amazing with them and is (sort of) in scale to the entire ship. It's definitely way better than what they did with the SSD bridge. They should've introduced the microfigures with the SSD bridge. Just imagine it with microfigures of Vader along with all the bounty hunters. What a missed opportunity that was!!

• Like 1

I love this set. Sure, it's not as big as that Lego Ideas one, but if that version was produced, it'd be WAY more expensive than $350, and a lot of people are already complaining about the price of this one. Not sure if I'll pick this up on day 1 or wait until double VIP points and a promo, but it will definitely be bought. One for investment and the other to build. 

I think Lego hit a homerun with the microfigures. That bridge looks amazing with them and is (sort of) in scale to the entire ship. It's definitely way better than what they did with the SSD bridge. They should've introduced the microfigures with the SSD bridge. Just imagine it with microfigures of Vader along with all the bounty hunters. What a missed opportunity that was!!

Yep, I think we all loved the 10000 piece IDEAS set.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/63951

Yep, I think we all loved the 10000 piece IDEAS set.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/63951

Has anyone seen official mention of this set being based on the Ideas set? If it was, will it have the Ideas designation/branding? What about the designer, is he getting a royalty? So confused on this one, I suppose I need to step up my investigation outside of BP.

Or maybe all will be revealed in the Winter 2015 results video?? Lego stated results would be released at end of January.

If anyone has any insight, would be very much appreciated.

The article says 22,694 bricks.  Over 7' long x 45" wide..  DAMMM.    That set would cost a few thousand.. 

Exactly. I think Lego did a great job with this set at almost 3,000 pieces and a $350 price tag. Of course, I would've loved a $300 or $325 price tag, but I don't think $350 is way overpriced as there are quite a few large pieces in this set.

Exactly. I think Lego did a great job with this set at almost 3,000 pieces and a $350 price tag. Of course, I would've loved a $300 or $325 price tag, but I don't think $350 is way overpriced as there are quite a few large pieces in this set.

Yup. This set uses many larger plates, special printed tiles and road elements, and lots of figs. That is why people shouldn't go buy the price per brick anymore. Price per ounce, pound, etc... is more meaningful.

• Like 1

Yup. This set uses many larger plates, special printed tiles and road elements, and lots of figs. That is why people shouldn't go buy the price per brick anymore. Price per ounce, pound, etc... is more meaningful.

Just to add to the point: Look at Tower Bridge, 4000+ pieces at $240. Great price per brick but that's only because there are a ton of small bricks, almost 600 cheese slopes alone.

$0.10/brick is a nice baseline to work off of, but it's definitely not how Lego prices their sets.

Talked with a person that works at a Target store today in toys.  They were bringing up the UCS Hellcarrier set and how big it is and how expensive it is going to be and how he would really love for Target to sell that one in stores.

Anyways - My point for bringing this up is I think even though he brought up the major expense, he is not a Lego addict and he is talking about the Helicarrier and how awesome it is.  I did not bring it up.  I think this set is going to be a home run for Lego.  While I would have loved a $700 - 1,000 version personally it would have made sales measurably tank in my opinion.

I am excited and ready to roll on getting one of these personally to display sealed in the box and one to build and display.

Are you serious on boycotting?  Wow and no one else has responded.

Wonder if it will not do well for many reasons including price point.

I hope they give the creator something.

No, not completely serious..  But I do find it odd the way they handled the Ideas set. Maybe they will give a nod to the Ideas creator at some point, but so far nothing.

If I do decide to skip this one, it will be for other reasons. Mainly being it is not a modular or Star Wars.

Has anyone else started watching the Avengers movie again to get psyched up for this set?

Is anyone going opening morning to get one?

Just trying to gauge go to the store opening interest.  Will it be packed or will I be able to hear crickets at 10am when it opens?

I'll take my time getting this set.

Personally I don't really like it, but I think a lot fans might like it.

At the price point competition won't be too big and having 1 or 2 of this set won't do any harm... but I'll be waiting until it's (assumingly) close to retirement.

5 years later some comic fans might want to have a helicarrier...

As for me I'm not psyched about this set and modulars/Star Wars is far more appealing to me.

Guest TabbyBoy

I'm going to see how quickly it sells out if at all after the first run before I decide to invest in it.  I'm actually not a Super Heroes fan and prefer to concentrate on StarWars and Creator Advanced.  However, it still think that 76042 is well designed.  It's probably end up for sale everywhere like the Tumbler.

Has anyone else started watching the Avengers movie again to get psyched up for this set?

Is anyone going opening morning to get one?

Just trying to gauge go to the store opening interest.  Will it be packed or will I be able to hear crickets at 10am when it opens?

I have not built a set in years. I will be at the store opening day to buy this and all the power functions. Now there is still a good chance 12 months later their unopened boxes will still be sitting neatly in our lego room corner staring back at me but if I find any extra time in 2015 I will spend it building this beauty. The last time I got excited about a set was HH and this thing looks like just as much fun to build and play with for a few mins.  

I should have stated my post questions on this one was purely as a fan wanting one and not as an investor.

Or to clarify between them.

I'm going as an avengers and lego fan not an investor.

I find it really interesting that in about 8 hours from the post I think asharein is the only other one that will be picking one up for personal so far.

I am wondering if this set will suffer from multiple issues (fan base, cost, etc etc)

I hope not.

I hope that cost does not end up being a driving issue to many people in the general community but from different comments here, there and everywhere I am starting to think it may.

While I would like a $600 new 10179 variant since its not going to happen most likely, can we wonder why if this thing is $350 and is it already suffering those discussions before release how Lego may have chosen not to release a new 10179?  I think if they chose not to they made a sound financial decision.

Lets hope Lego sales knock it out of the park opening day but I am beginning to wonder.

Anything north of $199 has always been a tough sell for TLG in the US market. This set does have a very high price point and will not sell anywhere near modular numbers, but then again TLG won;t be doing the large production runs either. I would be surprised if we get a set greater than $399 RRP in the next 5 years.

I should have stated my post questions on this one was purely as a fan wanting one and not as an investor.

Or to clarify between them.

I'm going as an avengers and lego fan not an investor.

I find it really interesting that in about 8 hours from the post I think asharein is the only other one that will be picking one up for personal so far.

I am wondering if this set will suffer from multiple issues (fan base, cost, etc etc)

I hope not.

I hope that cost does not end up being a driving issue to many people in the general community but from different comments here, there and everywhere I am starting to think it may.

While I would like a $600 new 10179 variant since its not going to happen most likely, can we wonder why if this thing is $350 and is it already suffering those discussions before release how Lego may have chosen not to release a new 10179?  I think if they chose not to they made a sound financial decision.

Lets hope Lego sales knock it out of the park opening day but I am beginning to wonder.

The problem for me is that once a Lego set goes over $100, I pretty much need to have a discussion with the wife about whether or not we can afford it. I think I represent middle America. I sell Legos on the side which helps bring in a little extra money, plus it pays for some personal Lego sets for me and my kids (for instance, I had a Millennium Falcon in storage for a year, but the other day we just said, "screw it, I just made a killing on some Hulk Helicarrier Breakout sets, we are building it). But if I buy a set like this (sure, I'd love to!) that will eat a big chunk of my re-investment resources. My kids love Legos, but there is no way I'm spending that much money on something that they are going to destroy at some point. I'm not Will Ferrell's character in the Lego movie. Not by a long shot. But if I just wanted to buy a bunch of Legos for my kids to play with there are a lot cheaper/easier ways to do that.

When sets in this price segment appear you will always face these comments regardless of demand. It applies to any good out of some peoples' budget. It's psychological, cognitive dissonance. In Hungary where most people are piss poor you are becoming immune to these comments. It happens about like this, in chronological order:

1. I kinda like it, I want it.
  2. No money LOL.
  3. Trying to find faults to relieve yourself from the bad feeling of longing.
  4. 'No Coulson, not AFOL enough, not enough bricks, bad design yadda yadda....'
  5. Price is too high for this faulty product.
  6. Release a comment to reaffirm your 'truth' together with the other lamenters.

The main consequence of this behaviour is that these internet comments don't signal true demand. Most of these guys wouldn'T buy probably any kind of reasonable set in that range. They like to lament so they don't feel the longing. When these people express these kind of opinions then it's not really related to price really being reasonable or not, or the actual quality/design of the set. They are just trying to convince themselves that the set is actually not good.

I can't repeat enough times, the comments were the same about the SSD. Still, LEGO made this set after having produced the SSD. They know that this will not be the best seller. Just as much SSD was not. It's also about prestige. Why do some car brands produce a special sports car even if they are making a loss on it? To bolster the sale of their other products. It's intended as a quality signal: 'if we can make stuff like this then our company really has great skill.' A release like this also generates media attention and make people feel LEGO is a premium product.

So I am not worried at all. I am looking forward the comments on the rumoured $250 Ferris Wheel...

Edited by inversion

Slight derail, can someone point me to the "good seller, bad seller" information that everyone posts about? I am assuming based on the mountain of posts with this comment that Lego a private company has provided this information and I somehow missed it.  Lego employees do not count, nor does local inventory flow. I am talking about the corportate info.

We'll be buying this set as a lego fan/avengers fan as well.  And likely watching the movies as a build up.  I don't know if we'll get any for investing.  Probably one or two, but I don't know yet.  I doubt we'll be in line on the first day.  We represent middle America as well, and it's a discussion as to where we want our funds to go.  We also have size limitations as we have a tiny house and two tiny children who aren't yet allowed to play with the 'adult' legos, so we're not in a rush.

When i saw it could be powered, there was an excited email to the husband in ALL CAPS saying it flies.  His response was to wonder if we could actually make it fly.  I'm betting it's too weighty for that.