Speculate which recently retiring set will be the first to hit 5x RRP?

Guest TabbyBoy

Few will reach 2x let alone 5x apart from a minifig or small set which is hardly worth the hassle. Go for actual amount of profit rather than multiple of RRP.  I'd rather sell a Pet Shop than a few Mixels - less work!

May I make a prediction? No UK £50+ set retired in late 2016 will reach 2x RRP by end of this year! If it does, it'll crash and burn soon after. Don't hold for too long, see what's happened to SW UCS.

• 1 month later...
Guest TabbyBoy
3 minutes ago, brickolodon said:

Wall•E

I don't think anything will reach 5x RRP these days but, Wall•E could certainly be the first to reach 3x. That's £120 in the UK and anything above that is frankly silly.

On 13/01/2017 at 9:40 AM, red panda said:

Agreed on the Mystery Mansion. Fabulous set, similar to Hogwarts Castle & Monsters Fighters Castle but this in my view is a better design. Really iconic set in my view too. I think this will be a great set to have.

Great set but it's not flying out of the gate in the UK. If you bought during the Tesco 342 then you'll do OK. Otherwise it's minimal return after fees. Same with the Mystery Machine.

23 minutes ago, Scatterbug said:

Great set but it's not flying out of the gate in the UK. If you bought during the Tesco 342 then you'll do OK. 

You are kidding, 

Set that was in no way limited, readily available at £45-£50 during most of its life, moving at £100 2 months after retirement.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, feed said:

You are kidding, 

Set that was in no way limited, readily available at £45-£50 during most of its life, moving at £100 2 months after retirement.  

Average is around £90-95. Forgot this was a £70 set, rather than £80. Doing OK but not stellar as some were predicting.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Scatterbug said:

Average is around £90-95. Forgot this was a £70 set, rather than £80. Doing OK but not stellar as some were predicting.

Last one I sold on Saturday.  Buy in £46.99, ebay £1FVF, PP £5.40, shipping RM £6.05, Packaging £1, Sale £99.99.  That’s a £39.56 pre-tax profit on a £46.99 investment in under 12 months.  If you think the market is in a position to provide better returns than that on recently retired sets, you need to reset expectations and measuring from RRP these days is meaningless.   The average buy in I have on the 10 of these I own, is £46.27, and I very much doubt I have the lowest buy in around.  

54 minutes ago, feed said:

Last one I sold on Saturday.  Buy in £46.99, ebay £1FVF, PP £5.40, shipping RM £6.05, Packaging £1, Sale £99.99.  That’s a £39.56 pre-tax profit on a £46.99 investment in under 12 months.  If you think the market is in a position to provide better returns than that on recently retired sets, you need to reset expectations and measuring from RRP these days is meaningless.   The average buy in I have on the 10 of these I own, is £46.27, and I very much doubt I have the lowest buy in around.  

Well, the thread title refers to RRP. But I hear what you are saying - hence my reference to the Tesco deal which was probably the best time to buy.

1 minute ago, Scatterbug said:

hence my reference to the Tesco deal which was probably the best time to buy.

Those 3 for 2 sales Tesco had are going to be the ruin of us. While we got great deals out of them, we'll all be expecting a repeat and we'll spend the year turning up our noses at deals we'd previously have jumped on. What happens then if Tesco don't repeat them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sprocket77 said:

Those 3 for 2 sales Tesco had are going to be the ruin of us. While we got great deals out of them, we'll all be expecting a repeat and we'll spend the year turning up our noses at deals we'd previously have jumped on. What happens then if Tesco don't repeat them.

They're determined to get one over Argos, so i think there will be more this year, probably not as many.

The first 3 for 2 last year was over the April school holiday, so not much longer to wait and see.