10664 - Creative Tower

my 3x comment was referring to the black friday price of $30.  The bulk brick boxes can be a great turn around, but only if you get them heavily discounted.  In 2011 I bought two of the similar 1600 piece set for $30.  Sold one in 2012 for $130, the other in 2013 for $160.   Needless to say, I picked up more than two this year. :-)

If you are happy to quick flip them, then more power to you.  Follow the strategy that you are comfortable with.  For me, I'm happy to stick them in a closet for a year or two and see how they do.  Worst case, I have awesome gifts for friends/kids next year.

The great thing about Walmart's black friday is that in the past the've changed the set every year.  So next year, it's extremely likely that only second hand sellers will have a 1600 piece set.  And (much to my amazement) some people are willing to pay top dollar for such a big piece count.

I think it's simplicity. There is a whole underground LEGO movement away from licensed sets. There are some parents who love LEGO bricks, but don't like the licensed sets with fancy pieces that they consider a waste. There is a need and desire for these basic sets and I really should have bought more.

I think you hit the nail on the head with that comment. Just had a grandfather buy one off me from craigslist and said his grandson really just wanted the bricks to play with and build stuff and didn't care for the sets. 

I think you hit the nail on the head with that comment. Just had a grandfather buy one off me from craigslist and said his grandson really just wanted the bricks to play with and build stuff and didn't care for the sets. 

I had the same experience, but the dad said "they" (as in the parents) didn't want to have all the fancy parts for their little girl. Then I showed him our lego city and he was blown away what you could do Lego bricks. He took a picture, forwarded it to his wife and she replied back that she was going to show it to her daughter for inspiration.

I think people under estimate the creativity kids have if you let them... What looks like a stupid technic pin to us is magic to them. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought 4 on Black Friday, and planned on selling 3 and keeping 1 for my kids. I posted that I had 10664 for sale at $75 on Craigslist this past Thursday. I've already had multiple interested parties, and will be moving at least two of the sets tomorrow. Way happy with that return in less than a month, assuming the buyers show up with cash as planned. Would have had to sell for close to $90 on eBay to clear the same amount. I'm thinking of letting all 4 go if I can get $70+ each. What are you guys seeing out there?

I bought 4 on Black Friday, and planned on selling 3 and keeping 1 for my kids. I posted that I had 10664 for sale at $75 on Craigslist this past Thursday. I've already had multiple interested parties, and will be moving at least two of the sets tomorrow. Way happy with that return in less than a month, assuming the buyers show up with cash as planned. Would have had to sell for close to $90 on eBay to clear the same amount. I'm thinking of letting all 4 go if I can get $70+ each. What are you guys seeing out there?

I was going to keep one too but I sold them all. Paid for an EEE. :)

Lego seems to have expanded their simple brick buckets but this is by far the biggest one. I think the next one is only 1000 pieces. Ignore low ball offers, they'll sell at 75+. I'd post them at $90 if I were you.

Completed the sale for 1 10664 this morning for $75 cash via Craigslist.

I was able to grab a couple Lego Storage heads at BJ's Wholesale Club over the weekend for $10.79 after tax. I put up a listing on CL after the sale this morning for a 10664 and Storage head for $100; I already have a buyer lined up for tomorrow morning. I'm really regretting buying only 4 of 10664.

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone know how many bags are suppose to come in the Creative tower 10664?  I found 2 at Walmart and when I got home I noticed one had the lid resealed.  I only paid $20 so i'm not looking to return it just want to make sure I can list it as opened complete.  Mine has 16 bags.

• 1 month later...