Is anyone experiencing a lackluster sales season?

This article mentions retailers learned from last year and ordered twice as many lego sets in anticipation of christmas. Don't know if that's totally accurate but could explain some of the lack of sets going OOS and (perceived?) lackluster reseller sales.https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/money-may-already-too-hottest-130000467.html

Good article. I just sold 2 of those castles locally today. New open box returns from amazon. Lady picked up from our warehouse for 175.

This article mentions retailers learned from last year and ordered twice as many lego sets in anticipation of christmas. Don't know if that's totally accurate but could explain some of the lack of sets going OOS and (perceived?) lackluster reseller sales.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/money-may-already-too-hottest-130000467.html

I hope it bites them in the ass and they have too much stock this year and go back to shortages next year.

The more I look through it many of their items are still priced high, just the ones I seem to be checking they have been priced low on over the past couple of days. Feel like I have seen them in the buy box a lot though :-)

there are def some sellers out there will impressive inventories. Something that I will never achieve with a 9-5 job.

i'm late to reply...    just my two cents.

why assume reasons behind what others are doing things and who owns what?  regardless of the reasons, it's their business.  i'm just not seeing how these types of posts enrich brickpicker forum content. sure, high volume resellers can "maybe help" dictate short-term market trends for specific items in target markets but that's about it.

Edited by jaisonline
modified reply
  • Like 1

I hope it bites them in the ass and they have too much stock this year and go back to shortages next year.

What is getting lost in this whole topic is:

Last year everything sold out, clearance sucked following Christmas for the most part (since very few B&M stores had anything left) This year the sales may be lackluster, but hopefully the clearances will help us out :-)

• Like 1

hi members,

please keep this thread on-topic. i just removed many posts from page 7 to this one.

if you have issues with your removed content, PM me and i'll reply later tonight.

posts should be about your experiences and observations this season.

thanks,

Were the posts that you deleted the ones that were related to the article about retailers' stock level during the holidays?  If so, how is that not on-topic given that it informs our experiences?  It has been my experience throughout this entire holiday season that fewer sets are selling out and that retailers are holding a lot more stock than in past years.

No. Didn't touch those as that topic is meaningful.

Were the posts that you deleted the ones that were related to the article about retailers' stock level during the holidays?  If so, how is that not on-topic given that it informs our experiences?  It has been my experience throughout this entire holiday season that fewer sets are selling out and that retailers are holding a lot more stock than in past years.

few other products that wound up having less than desirable sales for myself were GOTG Milano / Groot sets.  Didn't have many except from the Boscovs and Yo Yo deals but a little surprised at that one with the success of the movie / groot (figured the Groot fig could carry that one into a holiday hit)

Also Aurora Disney doll went downward from the peak right after it sold out. I remember when they came out predictions of $250-300 for Xmas seemed feasible.  Settled for $190 which wasn't bad.

Did just get a Elsa coronation in last week on one of my Amazon loads and she sold for $400.  The Disney dolls always seem to be hit or miss though.  

Today has been slower but I have had a very good season on my sales. It could be better but I am very happy.

Dropped 45 packages off today last 2-3 days orders.

Hope things work out for everyone.

I think we can use a new thread called, "how is trek's do'in". If I may, i think your biz should be renamed, Stargate Trek City Brick Company (made up name and not related to the company with a similar name). Then you can hire me.

Ha

post-3743-0-72897600-1418471326.jpg

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with those who are selling, they are part of the market like everybody else.

I can't really agree with this. While certainly anyone can do as they choose to do (buy, hold, sell, sell at a loss) - dumping can lead to an unhealthy investing environment.

Since there is no shorting of the LEGO market (we are all long), the "right" thing would be making decisions, and having selling practices that help to keep the market healthy.

This has always been my concern (keeping a healthy market). By the way, I feel the same way about skyrocketing set prices as I do about dumping. Obviously, its great when set prices jump up, but I would prefer to have a reliable healthy market.

I can't really agree with this. While certainly anyone can do as they choose to do (buy, hold, sell, sell at a loss) - dumping can lead to an unhealthy investing environment.

Since there is no shorting of the LEGO market (we are all long), the "right" thing would be making decisions, and having selling practices that help to keep the market healthy.

This has always been my concern (keeping a healthy market). By the way, I feel the same way about skyrocketing set prices as I do about dumping. Obviously, its great when set prices jump up, but I would prefer to have a reliable healthy market.

Agreed. Throughout history dumping has killed healthy investment markets. My last personal experiences were with Netflix stock that were dumped in late 2012 for really no reason (yeah, the CEO wanted to separate the DVD from streaming biz but changed his mind. Stock still kept falling into the $60s). I purchased some. Same for Ford stock back during the Gov auto buyouts. Mass dumping hurts everyone but if people need to do it to buy bills, I undertsnd

All lego or other things too?

I think we can use a new thread called, "how is trek's do'in". If I may, i think your biz should be renamed, Stargate Trek City Brick Company (made up name and not related to the company with a similar name). Then you can hire me.

Ha

Let me first say I think perhaps what I am experiencing is ramp up itis.

I used to have about 100 items in my store.  Now I have about 325.

I really expanded on Lego as well as selling in general this year.

Plus I've sold a lot of Santa's Workshop, SW Advent Calendars, Target Gift Cubes, Minecraft, Max Tow Truck, Transformers Movies special edition, freebies left & right, Vintage Computer games and a partridge in a pear tree.

Anyways some things I have great margin on, some things I unloaded on purpose, and most things I had  a good % margin on it but not great.

Jais business is not that well.

I guess I can say it is all relative.  To a person who sells 2500 items in Christmas season and it is i off 500 it is a bad year.  To someone like me who sold a few dozen last year and this year I have been dropping 40 packages every couple of days at the post office, it is quite an upswing.

I am genuine in wishing everyone the best.

Matt

• Like 1