The Rosetta Spacecraft Mission - My LEGO Ideas project

EmanueleC

Hi all, following my introduction in the forum, I'm happy to present my recent LEGO Ideas project (and my very first build) based on the Rosetta spacecraft mission. I'm very passionate for LEGOs and space exploration and this is my humble contribution to the cause. :) I hope you'll like my project. Thankyou for your time and for your feedbacks.

LINK: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/86582

IMAGES

post-44244-0-20474600-1418803648_thumb.j

post-44244-0-39066100-1418803650_thumb.j

post-44244-0-32811000-1418803652_thumb.j

post-44244-0-14094700-1418803654_thumb.j

DESCRIPTION

Since I was a child, I always dreamt about space exploration. I felt the urge to look at the stars very often. It was like I knew, deep inside my hearth, that "in a galaxy far, far away" there's someone like me that is looking at the sky while dreaming to fly among the stars.

Rosetta, Philae, 67P and both the scientists Klim Ivanovych Churyumov and Svetlana Ivanovna Gerasimenko are represented in my model.

I used different building techniques: there are some Technic parts for the very robust main structure, while I preferred sculpting with little bricks for 67P's terrain. I used a studless design as much as possible.

There are also some silver, titanium and gold metallic parts and two exclusive minifigures, of course.

I did my best to represent the Rosetta spacecraft faithfully, with good proportions between the solar panels and the main structure, while maintaining the brick count in check to avoid a too high price.

It's a 3.000Kgs spacecraft afterall and the panels are huge when completely open (32 meters): I think it has a good display quality as a LEGO model too.

Philae can be detached from the spacecraft and deployed on the comet.

Since Philae landed near the edge of a cliff (http://www.wired.com/2014/11/esa-philae-update/), I tried to imagine it representing a part of 67P with grey colour gradations and a deep black base.

Added an "UCS touch" with the label and the scientists on both sides. The label itself is vertically oriented to resemble the appearance of the original Rosetta Stone.

I'm currently working to optimize the whole structure (foldable/rotating panels etc). I'll order the parts to build it, verify and refine the assembly and details. Check the need for little transparent pedestals to support the large panels.Then, I'll post photographs and a video, so stay tuned!

I really hope you'll like this project. Thanks for watching, for your feedbacks and support! ;-)

MODEL DATA

Total model's brick count: 1.195

Rosetta's space craft main dimensions (WxHxD): 1.080 x 112 x 96mm (42.5 x 4.7 x 3.8inch)