ToysrUs.ca R2-D2

speedsausage

Yep, appears to be the end for these 2. They`ll both be substantial winners if so, I`d buy now for sure if you haven`t done so already. 

AA is also still available on TRU.ca, used some airmiles vouchers and got a few the past couple days.

Sold 1 for $340 CAD the other day, on ebay no less! TRU still has it listed at retail on ebay....

That`s awesome, congrats! 

Ugh I've stretched my budget so far already. Is the AA really worth stretching it a little further?

If it is gone, I believe it to be a very high possibility that AA will see prices into the high $300s over the next year. Christmas time around $350-$400 isn`t an unreasonable forecast, so if you want to double your money in a short period of time go for it. Of course, if you can`t pay the bills don`t gamble right. 

Bottom line it`s a must have for any fan, anyone who wasn`t able to pick it up will want it in the aftermarket, just like any other big-ticket set. 

Well, it's not that I'm short on cash, it's that I've been buying like a madman and am too new to this to have sold much yet. So I'm wary of buying too much without being an experienced seller yet, mostly. My current stash is comprised of stuff like TH/HH/R2/etc. so I don't have much in the way of big sets that are actually sellable yet.

That being said, it's looking like we may be entering a period of very few big set retirements so that makes me consider buying more of these sets that appear to be retiring.

If you haven't sold anything yet, I would lean against buying more until you read the investor to seller blog (post). Especially as a Canadian because access to the US market is severely limited based on shipping costs.

I don't know your situation and the AA and R2 are solid sets but it isn't as simple as put it on eBay and someone will buy.

Ex Astris, Scientia.

Yeah I have read that over and that's the sort of thing that is preventing me from buying more. I have varied my brickfolio and somewhat avoided multiples of sets to mitigate risk a bit -- I figure down the road it will be easier to unload 1 of a set locally, if necessary, than an entire shelf of them. The only set I have more than 2 of is the TH. I currently have zero Arkham Asylums.

At this point I'm feeling like I have a solid collection and my efforts should focus on flipping small items on ebay to learn the ropes there whilst the other sets are "ripening".

Edited by bricketycricket

Yeah I have read that over and that's the sort of thing that is preventing me from buying more. I have varied my brickfolio and somewhat avoided multiples of sets to mitigate risk a bit -- I figure down the road it will be easier to unload 1 of a set locally, if necessary, than an entire shelf of them. The only set I have more than 2 of is the TH. I currently have zero Arkham Asylums.

At this point I'm feeling like I have a solid collection and my efforts should focus on flipping small items on ebay to learn the ropes there whilst the other sets are "ripening".

Definitely sell some stuff first to get your feet wet, you don't want to have your first major sale having a huge issue.

Going off topic to give you an idea - but the largest issue is your market size.  If you have a great opportunity to sell locally in the future, then I would buy everything now as it is only going to go up in value.

If you try to sell on ebay, then you have to compete with any American based seller.

Example:

Your future exclusive listed at 400US with shipping embedded and an estimated 16% exchange rate.  All fees are constant.

US Domestic shipping will result in a net sale of $327.80US (323.80 if I personally sell it and ship from the US)

Canada to US shipping with Canada Post will result in a net sale of $293.80US plus the consumer MAY have to pay import fees on top:   According to tariff schedule 9503.00 your consumer will not have to pay any fees but you don't know that for sure.  Basically between you and any domestic seller, a US consumer will likely buy domestically and not worry about shipments from Canada.

Unless you have easy access to the US market or are one of very few sellers of your exclusive, your market is limited to Canada and overseas and there is still money to be made (especially in the Asian/Australian markets, thanks GSP!)

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. I have definitely foreseen some of the issues with selling on ebay and I have noticed that we Canadians can't take a lot of the advice posted on BP without due consideration because most of it is American-centric.

That said, my plan has generally been to hold my sets for longer periods of time such that:

1) Supply has dwindled and selling through any avenue is hopefully easier

2) The prices of the sets have appreciated enough that I can afford to undercut other sellers if I must and still make significant profit

I mean, it still seems like a no-lose proposition. If I buy an AA for ~$235 taxes-in right now, I ought to be able to sell it for some sort of gain in 1 year or more. What that gain is remains to be seen, but the point is that it seems highly unlikely to lose money. In other words, selling for a profit looks easy; maximizing that profit is where it becomes more difficult.

Yep, appears to be the end for these 2. They`ll both be substantial winners if so, I`d buy now for sure if you haven`t done so already. 

That`s awesome, congrats! 

Honestly thought the buyer wasn't going to pay and was just trolling me... My auction was right under TRU ebay's listing for $209.99 after-all haha.

I would definitely try selling some smaller sets and "test the waters" on which avenue you think best fits your selling style. I personally rarely use CL/Kijiji as i just don't have the time and the little time i do have i value too much to be wasting time arranging meetups and the headaches that come with no-shows or late buyers etc.

I have had to play the balancing game these past few months with which sets to go for. So many winners seemingly retiring which will all be winners. But i don't want to tie too much up. Passing on R2 myself, mainly just because i can't get em all.

I was debating passing on AA, but with my recent sale of one I've grabbed a couple to hold.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I think I will pass on this one and slow down the buying a little bit. My heart has never been in this set anyway because I'm not a superhero fan, it's too much of a play set for my liking, and the MSRP price gap on it between Canada and the US is too big. Obviously the set's going to be a winner (hell, it's literally already winning) but it isn't my thing so it makes a good place to draw the line on buying. :P

Edited by bricketycricket

Careful loading up on this one. It is only a temporary hype by newbies in BP. It is coming back. The same thing happened last year and a few other sets. R2 is pulling a xmas minecraft panic. Come january, this and santas workshop will get back to normal.

You can already see the price for santas workshop is tanking. The fast money was made last week while it was hot.

Guest ph4tb0i

Yep.  :)

This year's been tough (as you can see I've practically disappeared off BP until end of Dec lol). Put a down on a house and real life work picked up to the point where I was working 80+ hours a week including managing the ebay store.. Whatever increases net worth I guess! :D

I know this is an R2 thread, but we touched a bit on AA at TRU.

AA is down to 18 on TRU.ca, if anyone was waiting for a sale or something. I don't think these will be here for long! considering it went from 70+ to 18 fairly quickly. With AA still sold out and now at a reduced price on LEGO Shop at Home; it's looking fairly definitive that this is done.

It's also still available at WM.ca, but unsure of stock level.