Craigslist for buying/selling Legos?

I have bought lots of Lego using Craigslist. I just recently bought a HUGE lot of Star Wars sets for $1100. I have never been able to sell any on Craigslist. I think it is because the people looking on there are not willing to pay as much as people on Bricklink/Ebay. Where I live (South Bend, Indiana) there is a large lot posted about once a month.

I have bought lots of Lego using Craigslist. I just recently bought a HUGE lot of Star Wars sets for $1100. I have never been able to sell any on Craigslist. I think it is because the people looking on there are not willing to pay as much as people on Bricklink/Ebay. Where I live (South Bend, Indiana) there is a large lot posted about once a month.

I agree about the selling on Craigslist. It's hard. Most buyers are Lego investors that are looking for great deals. On the other hand, you can find some great deals on large lots as a buyer. a lot of college kids selling their collection to pay for tuition. lol

I agree about the selling on Craigslist. It's hard. Most buyers are Lego investors that are looking for great deals. On the other hand, you can find some great deals on large lots as a buyer. a lot of college kids selling their collection to pay for tuition. lolI would rather deal with the fees on Ebay than deal with Craigslist and all the issues involved with actually meeting people in person. There are some wacky people out there and I like to keep my distance. ;-)

I would rather deal with the fees on Ebay than deal with Craigslist and all the issues involved with actually meeting people in person. There are some wacky people out there and I like to keep my distance. ;-)

I agree with L3GO LOV3R. There are a bunch of crazy people out there. I have never had any success with anything on Craig's List. I just don't trust it. I used to look for software on there. 99% of it is pirated software. I really don't know how companies don't ask for better management of the listings. I don't even think to visit the site anymore.

I have had great success buying and selling ipods on Craigslist. I have bought and sold hundreds of things on Craigslist and never had a problem. You just need to make sure they know how to get to the meeting place and what time.

I've had some success also. Sometimes you can find sweet deals from the locals.

• 2 weeks later...

Like a few of you have stated, I think people that sell LEGO on Craiglist are uneducated at what they are selling. I have done pretty well getting sets from there. Some were missing a piece or two, but I have tons of extras so the that didn't bother me, I was still able to build the set perfectly. Like Lazybear said, it would be good if people check them, and I think you shouldn't go in with super high expectations. Just get what you need.

I have sold couple small Lego sets on Craiglist and so far I have no problems. I would prefer to have people check the items before they pay.

I agree, sometimes it is better dealing with a person face to face. Also, another advantage to Craigslist is not having to pay shipping costs. Possible tax savings is also another Craigslist advantage.

• 3 months later...

I like to buy off of Craigslist, no ebay fees, no shipping heavy lbs of legos, etc and it's good always meet in person at a mutual public place. I see mostly recent newer sets or Star Wars that people want top dollar, msrp retail, or ebay prices for. Usually most of these people either overbought, wives want their stuff out of the house, or are strapped for cash. If people are liquidating and overbought, that is their loss and not mine so I expect to deal better and lower with cash. Really who is buying like 100's of dollars of legos at once for their kids or collection? Also not a fan of driving like 30 miles and gas to pick up $40 worth of legos. Unless they are sealed in good condition I'm not paying retail for common sets that are opened. I try to avoid loose lots of legos as people with loose random lego's always think they valued way more than they are. Once you consider that loose sets can be missing a rare piece, no boxes or instructions, the time to track it down, time to put them together, it's really not worth your time and money unless it's for a hobby, so I always pay a low price for those. One guy wanted so much per pound and was ridiculous and we never made a deal. Another guy I dealt with recently had 2 rarer sets from the 90's and they looked pretty complete, some newer stuff that was boxed, we both knew what they were worth and that they might not be complete, but was willing to deal to get rid of them and didn't have the time to piece them together and we were both satisfied.

I like to buy off of Craigslist, no ebay fees, no shipping heavy lbs of legos, etc and it's good always meet in person at a mutual public place. I see mostly recent newer sets or Star Wars that people want top dollar, msrp retail, or ebay prices for. Usually most of these people either overbought, wives want their stuff out of the house, or are strapped for cash. If people are liquidating and overbought, that is their loss and not mine so I expect to deal better and lower with cash. Really who is buying like 100's of dollars of legos at once for their kids or collection? Also not a fan of driving like 30 miles and gas to pick up $40 worth of legos. Unless they are sealed in good condition I'm not paying retail for common sets that are opened.

I try to avoid loose lots of legos as people with loose random lego's always think they valued way more than they are. Once you consider that loose sets can be missing a rare piece, no boxes or instructions, the time to track it down, time to put them together, it's really not worth your time and money unless it's for a hobby, so I always pay a low price for those. One guy wanted so much per pound and was ridiculous and we never made a deal.

Another guy I dealt with recently had 2 rarer sets from the 90's and they looked pretty complete, some newer stuff that was boxed, we both knew what they were worth and that they might not be complete, but was willing to deal to get rid of them and didn't have the time to piece them together and we were both satisfied.

Good points. I think I am going to give Craigslist a shot. Maybe ask people if they want to sell old sets. They can meet me at my business. Might find some great deals.

Good points. I think I am going to give Craigslist a shot. Maybe ask people if they want to sell old sets. They can meet me at my business. Might find some great deals.

Go for it! I once got 30 sets from the 70s and 80s for $125 on Craigslist. All but one were 100% complete with instructions and the box! One of the sets was the Yellow Castle #375.

Go for it! I once got 30 sets from the 70s and 80s for $125 on Craigslist. All but one were 100% complete with instructions and the box! One of the sets was the Yellow Castle #375.

I had the Yellow Castle #375 as a kid. I used to make spaceships with those yellow bricks. LOL

I've always rather gone to eBay. I've had a little experience with Craigslist, but I recommend eBay, if the price is good. I can never seem to get the amount of options on Craigslist, as it posts locally. I prefer the variety of eBay.

True, you obviously have far more options on Ebay. But when there are LEGO sets listed on Craigslist you can usually get them much cheaper than on Ebay.

Just as an example of what you can do with Craigslist, I bought 4 Star Wars sets two days ago on Craigslist and sold them today for $60 profit to someone else on craigslist. I didn't have to worry about shipping them, or losing money on fees.

True, you obviously have far more options on Ebay. But when there are LEGO sets listed on Craigslist you can usually get them much cheaper than on Ebay.

Just as an example of what you can do with Craigslist, I bought 4 Star Wars sets two days ago on Craigslist and sold them today for $60 profit to someone else on craigslist. I didn't have to worry about shipping them, or losing money on fees.

If you are willing to work deals with people in person and deal with the occasional nut job, you stand to score some sweet deals on Craigslist.

• 10 years later...
  • 1 year later...