10248 - Ferrari F40

Val-E

It's ok I suppose. I think sometimes it's hard not to be a little underwhelmed with sets like this, when you see some of the amazing MOCS out there.

I guess Lego will always look to hit a certain price point which will bring in maximum profit, and they've decided that €90 and 1200 pieces is the sweet spot for this one.

The scale is about the same as of the other cars'. However this is more flat therefore you see it as smaller. The Creator Expert cars series is more or less trying to be consistent with the scale. This is what I expected and I like it expect the stickers. I loathe stickers in these sets.

Yeah it would be nice to see a $300 large version with little details, but it probably won'T happen in these days.

The scale is about the same as of the other cars'. However this is more flat therefore you see it as smaller. The Creator Expert cars series is more or less trying to be consistent with the scale. This is what I expected and I like it expect the stickers. I loathe stickers in these sets.

Yeah it would be nice to see a $300 large version with little details, but it probably won'T happen in these days.

I was expecting it to be flatter to make it the same scale as the other cars, otherwise it should have been 1 or 2 studs longer to compensate for the height.

And the stickers are horrible.  Just pause at 0:59 on Designer's video :lol:

Not quite what I was expecting, but it's nice for the $90 price point.  I think we all would have liked a $120 version that was a bit bigger,  but oh well.  This is pretty much on par with most of the old Racers line, not Creator Expert, and the price shows that.  I'm not much of a car collector so I'm not worried about displaying this even though I do have T1 and Mini Cooper on display.  It's not in the same league as those two vehicles.  I would rather they had a supercar line and a vintage line so that we didn't have to wait for another classic while this is on the shelf. 

• Like 1

I was expecting it to be flatter to make it the same scale as the other cars, otherwise it should have been 1 or 2 studs longer to compensate for the height.

And the stickers are horrible.  Just pause at 0:59 on Designer's video :lol:

Are you talking about those crappy stickers under the flip up headlights? If you look at the close ups, they are absolutely awful.

I think LEGO is losing it a little... those stickers look cheap (poor print detail and the red is a poor match), the set on the box itself isn't snapped together properly (look at close ups of the tail fin) and the model used in the video has apparently been sitting for a while because it's dusty.

Boo.

That steering wheel sticker is a bit off centre!

Positives: A few unique parts that will make it hard to bricklink (rims and windscreen), price point (from a buying not a reselling angle). The main positive will be if it pushes T1 into retirement. Let´s see......

Negatives: I don´t see it having  great reselling  potential as it is a little too much playset for the liking of the AFOL market. It will also probably have a long and well distributed life.

Hope there are some more Ferrari Technic models in the future.

Edited by valenciaeric
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, this set sucks.  There...I said it.  As cool and collectible as the T1 Camper and Mini Cooper are, this set really cheezes out.  It really should be another 400-500 pieces.  If you are going to redo a classic car, then do it right.  Sorry LEGO, this one is a fail.

• Like 3

Are you talking about those crappy stickers under the flip up headlights? If you look at the close ups, they are absolutely awful.

I think LEGO is losing it a little... those stickers look cheap (poor print detail and the red is a poor match), the set on the box itself isn't snapped together properly (look at close ups of the tail fin) and the model used in the video has apparently been sitting for a while because it's dusty.

Boo.

Yes, and the red ones that were meant to continue the black detailing on both corners.

I actually do not mind the look from the back, even though the yellow F40 sticker is off center ;)

Guest TabbyBoy

I must say that I'm also disappointed and won't be rushing out to buy these in any quantity. Then again, they could be a good flip if we have an early VIP release.  As a collector, I'll still be buying one. Not a patch on the VW Camper or Mini Copper.

Yes, and the red ones that were meant to continue the black detailing on both corners.

I actually do not mind the look from the back, even though the yellow F40 sticker is off center ;)

Those black/red corner pieces (he calls them bows) are printed just like the sides of the windscreen.

I think the sticker on the back is off center just to match the one in the center of the steering wheel. You'd think that someone would try a little harder in making sure that those kinds of details aren't so obvious given the backlash over stickers that you read on any forum.

And I'm going to go one step further in my criticism of LEGO... that blurred picture in the teaser photo is of a real F40 (or a real model) and not the LEGO model itself. The rounded corners of the front bumper grill, the headlights, the rounded profile of the rear corners. That's poor... I think this will be a definite pass for me as both a collector and investor. It doesn't match anything in our display collection.

Those black/red corner pieces (he calls them bows) are printed just like the sides of the windscreen.

I think the sticker on the back is off center just to match the one in the center of the steering wheel. You'd think that someone would try a little harder in making sure that those kinds of details aren't so obvious given the backlash over stickers that you read on any forum.

And I'm going to go one step further in my criticism of LEGO... that blurred picture in the teaser photo is of a real F40 (or a real model) and not the LEGO model itself. The rounded corners of the front bumper grill, the headlights, the rounded profile of the rear corners. That's poor... I think this will be a definite pass for me as both a collector and investor. It doesn't match anything in our display collection.

Then those are the worse printed pieces I have seen :)  On 0:59 - 1:01, I was referring to the red with black stickers right under the black translucent slope (foglight/turn signal of real F40) 

Unfortunately, this set sucks.  There...I said it.  As cool and collectible as the T1 Camper and Mini Cooper are, this set really cheezes out.  It really should be another 400-500 pieces.  If you are going to redo a classic car, then do it right.  Sorry LEGO, this one is a fail.

I disagree that this set sucks. 

Then those are the worse printed pieced I have seen :)  On 0:59 - 1:01, I was referring to the red with black stickers right under the black translucent slope (foglight/turn signal of real F40) 

Ahhh.... yes, no those are definitely stickers and BAD ones. I guess that's how they got the black stripe "all the way around" ... The "this model sucks" feelings keep adding up. Yuck.

I share the feeling of disappointment over this one. I think one of the best attributes of newer AFOL sets is that when they are completed, they look more like models as opposed to Lego toys. This one takes a step backwards with a ton of 'blockiness', very visible seams everywhere, and the fact that you just can't reproduce a car that sleek with so few pieces. IMO if they wanted to stick around the $100 price point like the VW and Mini, they should've picked a different car. A classic Ferrari demands much more than 1200 pieces can deliver.