75098 - UCS: Assault on Hoth

bricketycricket

• 1 month later...

similar to EV (10236) not liked by investors but ended up out preforming other exclusives from the time. though i think EV is a better set, Hoth is more revered. and AoH is likely a lot less hoarded even than EV. will have to see where this one goes. I have a few, from the recent sales. but I dont think the window of opportunity will be more than a couple years.

18 hours ago, fossilrock said:

This set has taken off out of the gates.  I'm a fan of these UCS environment sets, regardless if there are haters.  Ewok Village has done well too.

Didn't pick up any EV for personal or investment, but i do really like Hoth. It has some issues, but nothing that couldn't be fixed or just excluded for my display purposes.

If any Canadians are interested; this set is still available on amazon.ca at %20 off plus %10 off for prime members. 

On 12/5/2017 at 6:25 AM, Sandwraith said:

If any Canadians are interested; this set is still available on amazon.ca at %20 off plus %10 off for prime members. 

I'd never noticed that Prime Savings discount before. Is that very common? You wouldn't know unless you noticed it or proceeded to checkout. Is there a way to filter for that discount to see other sets that might have it included? Amazon screwed up badly on a pre-order for a PS4 game and I haggled them into a $30 credit. $208 after tax really isn't too bad, but I'm curious if there might be some other (better) options to investigate more closely before I pull the trigger. 

8 hours ago, Zelgazra said:

I'd never noticed that Prime Savings discount before. Is that very common? You wouldn't know unless you noticed it or proceeded to checkout. Is there a way to filter for that discount to see other sets that might have it included? Amazon screwed up badly on a pre-order for a PS4 game and I haggled them into a $30 credit. $208 after tax really isn't too bad, but I'm curious if there might be some other (better) options to investigate more closely before I pull the trigger. 

Not a prime member usually, but Amazon gave me a couple months more free because of a shipment they messed up. So not sure how common it is, but for me when logged into the prime account it says right on the listing that i'll save another %10 on checkout on select toys

19 minutes ago, lego rules said:

It was cheaper on black Friday (Thursday) and I think it will drop below current price.  There is not much demand for the set.

Yeah i'm going to wait before debating getting any more, however with only 5 (apparently) left in stock it might be unlikely we'll see anything lower. Amazon is just price matching the price from Walmart currently, maybe we'll see some silly price from WM in the future. My Hoth display needs more trooper fodder :P

Edited by Sandwraith

34 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

So, the Assault on Hoth that I received from the LEGO Shop Black Friday arrived after being backordered for a couple weeks. Seal code is 30R6. At a guess, with a seal code more than a year old, this set is not widely hoarded.

definitely not hoarded.

only 24 sellers on amazon.  by comparison ewok village has 61 sellers.  red 5 - 94.  sandcrawler has 33 and is gated for a lot of people.

probably will trend up to the 40- 50s by May. 

people will be F5'ing for this at MSRP when the inevitable lost or extra pallets show up  at amazon and target. 

18 month availability + "large"  hoth battle set will be a winner because of AFOL disappointment and letting emotion- feelings about a set guide investment decision.

Edited by cladner

• 2 weeks later...
On 9.12.2017 at 7:23 PM, thoroakenfelder said:

So, the Assault on Hoth that I received from the LEGO Shop Black Friday arrived after being backordered for a couple weeks. Seal code is 30R6. At a guess, with a seal code more than a year old, this set is not widely hoarded.

Today, I received a copy of 75098 from German department store chain Galeria Kaufhof. Seal code is from eight weeks ago: 44S7, so pretty recent. Maybe the set was more popular than commonly thought? Or the production run was scheduled way in advance and couldn't be stopped anymore (it's LEGO after all).

• Thanks 1

Having purchased this set yesterday my son literally hasn't stopped playing with. I know there is a lot of resentment for it mainly due to it having the UCS label attached, however having now owned it a lot of my resentment has disappeared. I know the AFOLs amongst us prefer the UCS label to be reserved for large detailed Ships however its a vast set with a fair amount of detail, and as mentioned above my son hasn't put it down and it's rapidly become his favourite set due to its versatility. It includes a wealth of minifigs, and some great elements from arguably the best SW film ever made. I avoided this for investment but with a short shelf life and inevitably being under hoarded I regret buying a few of these when discount was available. Yes the AFOLs may not want it for their display stand however they may be prepared to layout out a premium for it when little Timmy wants it for his Xmas or birthday present. And less we forget, Lego is a play Toy, as much as i tell my son it isn't when removing my Slave1 from the shelf!!! Will this rise in value, only time will tell I guess...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

4 minutes ago, mauro23 said:

I would not bet against a very fast remake with some improvements that were responsible for all the hate for this set - including white baseplates, adding the fourth missing engine etc...

I would. Retirement after 1.5 years suggests it was not a commercial success and they have seen that people wil buy expensive ships but not battle scenes.

• Like 1

I would. Retirement after 1.5 years suggests it was not a commercial success and they have seen that people wil buy expensive ships but not battle scenes.

I agree, I can't see a remake on the horizon for a number of reasons, as Val points out, it obviously wasn't a great seller due to its short shelf life and EOL discount, so for the Lego Group to remake a set that hard poor reviews and resented by many would make no sense on their part and I'm sure the masses would be up in arms as usual! I agree the set has it's flaws, the fact the Shield Generator was made with 3 parts as opposed to 4 was bizarre and a massive oversight from Lego when usually they are so meticulous when it comes to detail. But as a play set its a nice piece and much better than I was initially expecting prior to owning it. When i get time I will put it on some base plates and add some other details.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

37 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Now remaking it as smaller individual sets again would seem to be more likely.

Indeed. The most popular SW battle, in the most popular SW movie is sure to see sets in the not to distant future.

I bet we see another Snowspeeder once the Sandspeeder hits EOL. Followed by a Wampa Cave set, and then probably a set with a Tauntaun.