10249 - Winter Toy Shop

TheDarkness

So, Toy Shop & Post Office were the only choices? What about coming up with something else? What happened to the creativity?

That's not what I meant.... On a personal note, I like it because I don't have 10199. On an overall note, I agree rehashing with a few updated bits is lame from a creativity standpoint.  I don't ever plan on being a long-long term investor (5+ years). I'm more of a 2-3 year holder. I also rarely have more than 2-3 of any single set so my exposure is never very broad (exception: I still have lots of RIs). So c'est la vie on a rehash and we move on!

Maybe they were too busy recreating 10179 to have time for a new winter set. :)

• Like 4

I don't have this one either, so I'm in the same boat as you... no need to keep checking eBay or considering the bricklink route.

I know people are concerned/pissed about the re-release but I don't really understand why? LEGO doesnt make these sets for resellers despite what we might all think. They probably ran some numbers of what the recent sets sold (WVM, SW) versus the older sets (Toy Shop, Post Office) and decided that there was still plenty of profit to make!

I'm not pissed because of reseller scumminess, I'm pissed because we already have this exact set.  I look forward to these every year to add to the village at our house and set it up every Christmas.  Why buy one when you already have it?  They could do a ski lodge, some sort of hot cocoa shop/starbucks type, little old style fire/police station since they love those so much.  I mean, it's the same f$^@#ng set! 

I totally understand the re-issues with Star Wars and the like, there's only so many recognizable vehicles in that universe and when you put out a couple dozen a year, you're going to have overlaps.  But this is a once-a-year set and they are already giving us re-issue crap. Including Santa's Toy Shop last year, we now have 3 toy buildings in 7 WV sets, no imagination.

• Like 7

I don't have this one either, so I'm in the same boat as you... no need to keep checking eBay or considering the bricklink route.

I know people are concerned/pissed about the re-release but I don't really understand why? LEGO doesnt make these sets for resellers despite what we might all think. They probably ran some numbers of what the recent sets sold (WVM, SW) versus the older sets (Toy Shop, Post Office) and decided that there was still plenty of profit to make!

I'm sure it's been had many times on this forum, but there's an argument to be made that re-sellers help casuals. They:

• Artificially increase demand by forcing Lego to produce for current Lego fans and re-sellers, which does a couple more things:
  • Actually helps increase the amount of sets on the market post-retirement
  • Sometimes inadvertently lengthens a set's lifetime (Death Star, Pet Shop) for more opportunities to buy

Personally, I'm happy about this set and really hope they re-print the Winter Cottage now, but (the way I see it anyway) re-sellers have an ecosystem type value and Lego has to walk a fine line between satisfying their core fans and the re-sellers.

I'm not pissed because of reseller scumminess, I'm pissed because we already have this exact set.  I look forward to these every year to add to the village at our house and set it up every Christmas.  Why buy one when you already have it?  They could do a ski lodge, some sort of hot cocoa shop/starbucks type, little old style fire/police station since they love those so much.  I mean, it's the same f$^@#ng set! 

I totally understand the re-issues with Star Wars and the like, there's only so many recognizable vehicles in that universe and when you put out a couple dozen a year, you're going to have overlaps.  But this is a once-a-year set and they are already giving us re-issue crap. Including Santa's Toy Shop last year, we now have 3 toy buildings in 7 WV sets, no imagination.

I'm not arguing the creativity is lacking...  but I just spotted a significant difference. The old set has presents NOT opened. The new set has all the presents OPENED so clearly this is the post Xmas view of the Toy Shop. ;)  (I'm sorry, couldn't resist)

The old style fire/police station would have been pretty neat.

• Like 1

The old set has presents NOT opened. The new set has all the presents OPENED so clearly this is the post Xmas view of the Toy Shop

When you think about it, this is brilliant. The new set is a Christmas DAY build (e.g. open presents) and the old one is a BEFORE Christmas Day build.

LEGO just engineered a way to get people to build the same set twice in the same season.

Edited by themoose9

reissue of a set that has only been gone for 4 years? I think LEGO needs to higher more designers.  they may be over worked. 

That being said it could still see 2xRRP at christmas if its sells out.  And given its a reissue we may not see the normal 2 year cycle.  plus if SW is under produced this could push prices of that even higher, and maybe WVM doesnt look so bad now.  the question remains does lego have the capacity to flood the market, and which sets will be the priority?

I recall hearing something about... CHAOS

Edited by jay4e

I wonder if the $300 price tag for 10199 on Amazon is going to be sustainable?

Cafe Corner rehash possible? 

Interesting times ahead for Lego resellers for sure.

I think that is a very interesting topic. Collecting all the modulars and having the "whole town" will become very important to lots of Lego families.  My son and I just opened and built a Pet Shop this weekend and now he wants all the old ones (Cafe Corner, Market Street, Green Grocer) that we are never going to be able to afford. I want them as much as he does.  

I wonder if this is a sign of things to come for Lego to allow future collectors to complete a series that has become astronomically expensive.

It sure seems that way, at least in this instance.

Why on earth else would they do a complete reprint? They know it's going to sell well to people in this boat.

Obviously this was a fan favorite and did very well initially. Santa and toys will always prevail over other winter themes, especially when it comes to kids. Agreed I'd like to see something else but at the end of the day most people buying the set will be parents who want to have a little Christmas themed set for their kid.

I wonder if the $300 price tag for 10199 on Amazon is going to be sustainable?

Cafe Corner rehash possible? 

Interesting times ahead for Lego resellers for sure.

I can't see a rehash of all the old modulars. Lego is always coming up with new and innovative brick designs- to go back to an old style when there is still so much more to create from an architectural standpoint would be weird. Christmas is Christmas and you can only come up with so many ideas- that will be popular.