10249 - Winter Toy Shop

TheDarkness

Disappointed.  As someone who is holding many copies of the original 10199 I had hoped that the reuse of the Winter Toy Shop name meant an addition to the original that could also work as a stand alone set.  From a father's point of view my daughters are not going to get to add a new set to their winter scene this year.  I agree with asharerin a Holiday Train would have made much more sense as it is the oldest of the sets.  Who needs a 10199?

Obviously this was a fan favorite and did very well initially. Santa and toys will always prevail over other winter themes, especially when it comes to kids. Agreed I'd like to see something else but at the end of the day most people buying the set will be parents who want to have a little Christmas themed set for their kid.

I can't see a rehash of all the old modulars. Lego is always coming up with new and innovative brick designs- to go back to an old style when there is still so much more to create from an architectural standpoint would be weird. Christmas is Christmas and you can only come up with so many ideas- that will be popular.

$ is king and you save on R+D plus you satisfy all those that missed out and they can buy maybe 3 or 4 new sets for what one would have cost on ebay.

Obivously they are not going to rerelease the entire catalogue but the knife cuts both ways - early retirement of unprofitable sets (good for us) rehashes of popular ones (bad)

• Like 1

Just wish they would have done a Holiday Train rehash. That would have made more sense on so many levels. Maybe in 2016?

From the POV of those new to the WV, a toy shop (to go with Santa's workshop perhaps) is much more alluring. From Lego's POV, they know people need to have at least a couple sets to build upon before being interested in ones that aren't as foundation. The choice makes sense.

Hi guys,

I think LEGO really jumped the shark on a re-release of this set. Not that its a bad set but every year my daughter and myself look forward to adding another building to our winter village and with Santas workshop selling out so quickly last year we were really looking forward to this years release. So needless to say we are a bit bummed to find a rehash of a previous set. Hopefully Santas workshop will be brought back as well so we can pick that up. Any thought?

Longshot

Edited by longshot
  • Like 1

not sure. this might have been purely a financial decision.  lego remembers that 10199 was a success and wanted to duplicate it this holiday season with little effort.  a couple of tweaks here and there..bingo. there goes their 2015 winter set.  lego surely saved ample effort and cost by these reissue.  pretty smart move.  nevertheless, it's a great set and the little changes just adds to the attractiveness.   

For anyone who has ever wondered if LEGO thinks about resellers and what to do about them and for all those with (conspiracy) theories and such, this is compelling evidence that they may. 

asharerin - I think I will try to move some quickly at the current rate but I would expect that to drop quickly as sellers want to get out quickly and will start undercutting one another so if they drop too much I will just continue to hold as I am sure there are some purists out there who will want the 10199 even if it is almost identical to 10249..

This is disappointing on a few levels.  One the wife and I went out of our way to get all the old WV sets when we first bought the cottage a couple of years ago to complete the series.  We have since bought every set they released in the proceeding years and have continued to expand on it.  Of all things Lego, this is the one thing the wife and I liked to do every year.  It's unfortunate that this year we can't expand because we already have 10199 and there is no reason to buy this honestly.

Although in general I'm a fan of remakes especially older more popular sets, but this is just an odd one.  There's definitely plenty of ideas still to be had to keep expanding on the theme, so a rehash before exhausting all other ideas seems very very strange to me.

• Like 2

not sure. this might have been purely a financial decision.  lego remembers that 10199 was a success and wanted to duplicate it this holiday season with little effort.  a couple of tweaks here and there..bingo. there goes their 2015 winter set.  lego surely saved ample effort and cost by these reissue.  pretty smart move.  nevertheless, it's a great set and the little changes just adds to the attractiveness.   

I agree 100%. I think this has absolutely nothing to do with resellers (as they could have attacked the big money makers 10179, 10196). I think this is strictly for financial reasons.

What happened to innovation ?? I thought that was LEGO's strongest suit.  10249 is the exact same design as 10199 with a few new pieces added to justify the $20 price increase.  I would have been ok with a bigger Toy shop building or bigger and more festive Christmas tree :(  This just screamed laziness.

I am just going to say it.  This is the beginning of the end :drag:

• Like 4

very upsetting I guess that rumor of us being amazed at the new winter set was false as was rumours of a gingerbread house.

Are we sure they won't give us a re-hash alongside a new one?

I agree 100%. I think this has absolutely nothing to do with resellers (as they could have attacked the big money makers 10179, 10196). I think this is strictly for financial reasons.

If they do this 2-3 times on smaller sets then if I were a re-seller, I'd 100% take that as a warning sign for the larger ones.

Form those looking to add to their winter village, I'm surprised there has been minimal talk for the new creator changing seasons house

Was thinking of picking some up for christmas for exactly that reason, would be a great addition for anyone who wants a WV set but already has 10199.  

As for the sky falling and bubble bursting, I still have hope.  Ferris Wheel and Airjitsu show that LEGO still has designers that put in a lot of effort.  this shows that many of them may be overworked...

Edited by jay4e

If they do this 2-3 times on smaller sets then if I were a re-seller, I'd 100% take that as a warning sign for the larger ones.

Bingo!

I can't see a rehash of all the old modulars.

Christmas is Christmas and you can only come up with so many ideas- that will be popular.

No, not all... but maybe a couple.

And apparently the number of ideas that can be come up with is six?

For anyone who has ever wondered if LEGO thinks about resellers and what to do about them and for all those with (conspiracy) theories and such, this is compelling evidence that they may. 

Yes, they will make a lot of people happy and force long hold resellers to reevaluate. It seems that after QFLL, the next target could be the long hoarders so there will be a finer line when to buy and sell.

Not sure if "long hoarders" will ever really be a "target" but perhaps Lego has had enough feedback from people about the high secondary market prices of old sets in high demand that they are trying an approach to remakes which will disturb, but not cripple, traditional resellers, while simultaneously making a significant portion of their newer, rapidly growing primary customer base happy.

• Like 1

Not sure if "long hoarders" will ever really be a "target" but perhaps Lego has had enough feedback from people about the high secondary market prices of old sets in high demand that they are trying an approach to remakes which will disturb, but not cripple, traditional resellers, while simultaneously making a significant portion of their newer, rapidly growing primary customer base happy.

A strategy like this wouldn't destroy the secondary market, but put prices in reach for most people. I see it as a cousin to the "we're making more" and "check back in January" messages we've seen on sold out sets at LEGO Shop at Home. It's a way to control the bubble.

Yes, I wrote "bubble"--as prices which hyper-inflate could be called. The real danger is that Lego will alienate their long time customer base who eagerly anticipated a new set.