Hi there, Duck here

You are only "in it for the money, eh?". The you miss more than half the fun, but that is up to you.

Dont worry, my wife is a fan. she will probably be rooting for some future sets not to go up in value so she can have them lol. "in it for the money." sorta kinda, resell is actually a hobby i really enjoy. for me this is a new and exciting opportunity to not only learn about Lego, but also the fanbase, the market itself, the way production works (IE the EOL cycles). its more than just being in the money to me.

For me actually building sets would probably frustrate me to death. all of those tiny parts haha. i envy people with those skills lol. 

Welcome to the forum Duckyluck! No additional advice from me. Except that in my opinion getting close with your product will help you make better business decisions. So maybe you can borrow some legosets from your wife's friend's husband just to build? I would recommend it. Good luck Duck!

• Like 4

Thank you for the advice! i plan on researching quite a lot before jumping on ANY sets at the moment. i havent even really started looking at the field at this time, but within the next week or so i will start looking at various websites. i read about the SYWR for k*mart. do you know anything about it? i dont have a k*mart in my general area.

We don't have k-marts here. If you want advice about collishop, fun, intertoys, bart smit or carrefour, I'd be happy to help you.

• Like 1

Welcome to BP Ducky.

Welcome to the forum Duckyluck! No additional advice from me. Except that in my opinion getting close with your product will help you make better business decisions. So maybe you can borrow some legosets from your wife's friend's husband just to build? I would recommend it.Good luck Duck!

Ciglione has a good point, you can only benefit from getting to know your product intimately. I know there are peeps that don't and still do well but they are far and few between I'm sure. The biggest benefit I see from this is being able to make decisions on your own (hopefully finding that sleeper set nobody else figured out) and not relying on others mis/information in the future.

On the whole this a very informative forum and the community is willing to share helpful information as long as an effort is put to researching the forums before asking lazy questions.

For your initial investment set I would recommend reading through some of the specific set topics and you'll read members pros and cons of that particular set. I'm sure you will come to a decision that you'll be confident with on your own.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Sorry: couldn't resist:

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/LEGO_Duck

well now i know this exists :P its actually pretty awesome. would have been a good profile pic yeah? lol

as it seems the general consensus here advise me to build a few sets to get to know my product, and as i am not one to shy away from advice i will be borrowing and building a few sets within the next few days. i will update with what the sets are ASAP. thank you all for caring so much about the product and urging me to take steps in positive directions. i have only been here a short while ( like a week maybe :P) but already this community is is growing on me.  you are all amazing! 

Welcome to Brickpicker!

I'm a new guy around here as well, but for the most part everyone seems friendly, with a genuine desire to help one another out.

Can't give a lot of advice other than what's been given already.  I would have to say though, with the background and budget you've described, in all honesty the F5 key can be a good friend; it has for me.  It's always nice to luck onto a few great buys that are guaranteed to be a good return on your investment right as they're going EOL. Best of luck to you! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Duck,

Great questions.

The most reasonable formula I can offer you is this:

Oldest Lego Set + Most Expensive Lego Set = Most likely to show a ^ return faster. Do not chase bargains... invest in exclusives.

This board is your stomping grounds to determine what those sets are. Everything you would ever need to know about Lego investing is here- including people who make a living doing it full-time.

What will separate you from the serious investor to the "risk a few bucks" type is the time you commit to studying this forum.

I'll give you a few threads to start on:

Creator; Pet Shop

Creator; Tower Bridge

Star Wars; Red 5

Lord of the Rings; Tower of Orthanc

Like any savvy investor, the more you know, the more you'll make. Best of luck... put in the time on the boards, and you will do very well.

$50 can be done but isn't for beginners.

I flipped 12 full sets of Mixels series 4 before they were released. Buy in was just over $30 a set and I pocketed around $25 each set after shipping and fees. If I had to go back to the store and buy 2 sets every time I sold them it could still be done and your $50 would be +$300 in about a week.

The flip window is closed and I am on to next adventure, and bought a PS and Red 5 with my spoils.

The BPer that sold 30 creepers for $7.50 in one bundle had similar success, quickly doubling up but that window has also closed (for now).

My suggestion is find some target or walmart clearance and check sold prices on ebay on your phone while at the store and choose wisely.

Have fun, and your going to need a bigger wallet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Brickpicker mobile app