Brick Classifieds Feedback and Questions

Jeff Mack

It might be worth stating something about genuine Lego products only on the site. This may be more trouble than it is worth, but with the huge number of inauthentic Lego sets on Ebay these days, it might be helpful to say that although we don't guarantee authentic Lego products are being sold, this is a marketplace for only authentic Lego, and those selling counterfeit Legos will be banned. This would be another way of making BC more distinct. I have not thought through all the implications of this and so it may be a bad idea to state something like this explicitly, but I'm interested to hear others thoughts on it.

I like your idea. This is where the community will have to help Jeff and I. We are quite aware of counterfeits and it is an ever increasing issue. Jeff and I will monitor listings carefully, but there will be some frauds that will try to sell a $100 minifigure for $5 and we won't catch it. When this is ready to go live, we will post the basic rules in the Classifieds forum along with what is in the sites FAQs and help pages.

We will be much more proactive with counterfeits than any other site. This I can promise, but we will need everyone's help to get rid of questionable listings.

• Like 3

Ed. Has it been mentioned at all about pulling the BP database for set info so that when you start entering a set number it starts populating the info for you? Similar to how the search function works for "search lego price guide"

What set info do you want it to pull?  

Ed. Has it been mentioned at all about pulling the BP database for set info so that when you start entering a set number it starts populating the info for you? Similar to how the search function works for "search lego price guide"

This would be great! Not quite sure exactly how it would work, but when you list on eBay, you have the option of "linking" your listing with their catalogue that prefills all the info.

This would be great! Not quite sure exactly how it would work, but when you list on eBay, you have the option of "linking" your listing with their catalogue that prefills all the info.

I just don't really see what info would be brought in?  Most people will want to put their own titles and descriptions that describe the product that they are selling.  What else would there be?

Question - it seems like when I upload photos taken from my iPhone in "landscape" horizontal mode, BC cuts off the sides of the pics? I did a quick scan on other listings and it looks like I'm not the only one....?

The smaller images are cropped to keep a set size for the formatting of the pages.  If you click the images on the listing detail page, it should show the full size image.

Thanks for the picture explanation. In regards to the database, maybe it doesn't really add value.

One small thing - when I click on "commission fees log" on the seller menu, it goes to a page where commission is misspelled "commision". Are the selling fees for BC published somewhere or has that been decided and I just missed it?

Thanks for the picture explanation. In regards to the database, maybe it doesn't really add value.

One small thing - when I click on "commission fees log" on the seller menu, it goes to a page where commission is misspelled "commision". Are the selling fees for BC published somewhere or has that been decided and I just missed it?

Thanks, i will fix the spelling.  To learn about the future fees, you can read here: http://support.brickclassifieds.com/knowledgebase/cost-brick-classifieds/

Having a Paypal Business Account appears to be mandatory - Is there any reason for this when you can sell on Ebay and Bricklink with just a "standard" Paypal account?

I ask this as this will pretty much rule out anyone from Australia selling - Business Accounts require an ABN (Australian Business Number) which has quite stringent tax and compliance associated with it. Anyone selling as a hobby will not have a Paypal Business Account nor will they want to sign up for one.

I know this is only Australia specific but it would be good to get comment on it.

Edited by jkaesler

First of all... 

My compliments... it looks far more clear and clean than other sites. And I am sure all will work perfect.

However, some comments:

1. Sometimes, the buttons to go to the next, previous, first or last page are only visible on the top of the page with the listings. Can it be added to the bottom as well? So you do not have to scroll back up everytime.

2. Will there be a count of how many views your listing had and maybe how many people saved your listing?

3. Price has to be put in as USD now. Will the option to use Euro, GBP and other currencies be added?

That is it for me so far.

Is there a concrete date set for going live?

It is live now.  The beta will probably run for a few months.

Having a Paypal Business Account appears to be mandatory - Is there any reason for this when you can sell on Ebay and Bricklink with just a "standard" Paypal account?

I ask this as this will pretty much rule out anyone from Australia selling - Business Accounts require an ABN (Australian Business Number) which has quite stringent tax and compliance associated with it. Anyone selling as a hobby will not have a Paypal Business Account nor will they want to sign up for one.

I know this is only Australia specific but it would be good to get comment on it.

All I can say is give it a try.  For different countries it may not matter at all.  Let me know what happens, it may work just fine for Australia.

First of all... 

My compliments... it looks far more clear and clean than other sites. And I am sure all will work perfect.

However, some comments:

1. Sometimes, the buttons to go to the next, previous, first or last page are only visible on the top of the page with the listings. Can it be added to the bottom as well? So you do not have to scroll back up everytime.

2. Will there be a count of how many views your listing had and maybe how many people saved your listing?

3. Price has to be put in as USD now. Will the option to use Euro, GBP and other currencies be added?

That is it for me so far.

1. Will look into it

2. That is already on your dashboard, just try it out

3. Like I mentioned in the announcement in the other thread, I should have this fixed by Monday at the latest.

Thanks for the reply. The issue is in Australia the only way to get a Paypal Business Account is by having an ABN, which means any and all Lego transactions need to be declared to the Taxation Office, and of course tax paid on any profits.

Many of us here Lego sellers here in Australia enjoy running the "audit gauntlet" and do not declare any of our Lego trading to the government.  :bad:

All I can say is give it a try.  For different countries it may not matter at all.  Let me know what happens, it may work just fine for Australia.

Edited by jkaesler

Thanks for the reply. The issue is in Australia the only way to get a Paypal Business Account is by having an ABN, which means any and all Lego transactions need to be declared to the Taxation Office, and of course tax paid on any profits.

Many of us here Lego sellers here in Australia enjoy running the "audit gauntlet" and do not declare any of our Lego trading to the government.  :bad:

From what I was just reading, it does not look like you need a Business Account.  I did that is for sure, but Premier and Business accounts will help for those that try to do purchases and do not have paypal accounts and act as a paypal guest.

Guest Payments

Adaptive payments supports guest payments, which are payments using a senders credit card without logging into PayPal to complete the transaction. The sender is not explicitly identified as a PayPal account holder during the transaction and is not required to have a PayPal account.

Each receiver of a guest payment must be a verified PayPal Business Verified or Premier Verified account holder.

PayPal handles guest payments in the same way that it handles explicitly approved payments. Instead of logging into PayPal to complete transaction, the sender provides credit card information on the PayPal payment screen:
  • Like 1

From what I was just reading, it does not look like you need a Business Account.  I did that is for sure, but Premier and Business accounts will help for those that try to do purchases and do not have paypal accounts and act as a paypal guest.

Guest Payments

Adaptive payments supports guest payments, which are payments using a senders credit card without logging into PayPal to complete the transaction. The sender is not explicitly identified as a PayPal account holder during the transaction and is not required to have a PayPal account.

Each receiver of a guest payment must be a verified PayPal Business Verified or Premier Verified account holder.

PayPal handles guest payments in the same way that it handles explicitly approved payments. Instead of logging into PayPal to complete transaction, the sender provides credit card information on the PayPal payment screen:

Ah apologies for this, I'm now able to sell. Sorry I thought it was an issue with me not having a Business Account however that was not the case. Thanks.  :heat:

Ah apologies for this, I'm now able to sell. Sorry I thought it was an issue with me not having a Business Account however that was not the case. Thanks. :heat:

I noticed the this too - the wording of "please enter your business's PayPal account" makes it seem like you need a business PayPal account, but that's not the case.

Noticed a few typos in the registration email... Edits in red.

Hi !

We Just Need To Do One More Thing:

Confirm Your Account

...And you can acess all things in Brick Classifieds

If you need help with anything in Brick Classifieds-any thing at all-Contact the folks withat the Brick Classifieds Team. They are always eager to leand lend a hands

Best Regards,
Brick Classifieds Team.

Jeff - I had noticed a couple in the website itself as well. Would you like people to keep posting them as we find them or would you like someone to do a little more thorough check? I'd be happy to scour the site and send what I find to you in a PM.

Greg

PS I really like it so far. Looks clean and easy to use. It is much further along with features than I pictured. I hope you spend some time with your family in 2015. :)

A couple suggestions for the site which are both existing features on Ebay / Bricklink, Apologies if these have been mentioned earlier:

- A way to filter to only see items that ship to your country. It's inconvenient you have to click into each listing one by one to see which ones ship to your country.

- Postage price to be included in the search results, similar to how Ebay includes postage price in the search results. Again if searching for an item it would be good to differentiate local items (with cheap postage) vs international items (with expensive postage). 

Other than that everything looks really good, great work! 

• Like 1

Noticed a few typos in the registration email... Edits in red.

Jeff - I had noticed a couple in the website itself as well. Would you like people to keep posting them as we find them or would you like someone to do a little more thorough check? I'd be happy to scour the site and send what I find to you in a PM.

Greg

PS I really like it so far. Looks clean and easy to use. It is much further along with features than I pictured. I hope you spend some time with your family in 2015. :)

LOL...There will probably be some typos like this.  The guys who helped Jeff with the Classifieds are very smart, but are from India, so there might be a few small mistakes like this.  I would post them here unless Jeff tells you different.  This is like an ongoing log of issues that need to be addressed.  That is what the BETA is about, making it better and correcting flaws.

• Like 2

LOL...There will probably be some typos like this.  The guys who helped Jeff with the Classifieds are very smart, but are from India, so there might be a few small mistakes like this.  I would post them here unless Jeff tells you different.  This is like an ongoing log of issues that need to be addressed.  That is what the BETA is about, making it better and correcting flaws.

Ok, I'll just keep track and post them occasionally. :)

As for the site itself, a couple questions:

1) Is there a "vacation" mode for your shop?

I'd like to setup some listings, but not make them active yet. I have to "unpack" some items to get real photos but I'd like to tinker with the listings in the mean time <see next question>. I imagine that I can just set quantity to 0 for now, but that would be kind of a pain if you really do go on holidays like I did over Xmas.

2) Can someone explain how setting up shipping works?

I saw an earlier post about a "shipping calculator" but I see no such option? All I see are shipping profiles which seem to be flat rate shipping for 1, then additional cost per additional item (and is that per same item, or different item?).

On the note of shipping, I fully support the option to filter by "ship to my region." I think all but one or two of the listings I clicked on don't ship to Canada. That will majorly stink if all you guys down south don't ship to us up north!  :aggressive:

• Like 1