Ideas #009: 21301 - Birds

themoose9

I haven't seen much discussion of the new IDEAS Birds set (Jan, '15) yet...obvioulsy we don't have "hands-on" time, but I'd like to know what people think. I mean, it's smart of LEGO to try to corner the ornithologist/AFOL demographic (who wouldn't?!?), but curious to hear the community's thoughts for short and long term investment.

Personally, I'll buy it because it's IDEAS and I enjoy that line...I'm less certain of hoarding it for investment though.

I think it's a nice set, probably be a limit of 2. If it's a limit of 5 it could be a wide release. It could see a decent return in the long run but not worth flipping imho. So hard to tell what they will do with the ideas sets anymore.

I like the look of it too, however, the playability is close to zero. Not really what they were going for, I know, but at least with the RI I could pretend one of those women was doing chemistry (chauvinism not intended)

...I guess the bluebird kinda looks like Mordecai from Regular Show. Maybe I can mod up a Rigby

I like the look of it too, however, the playability is close to zero. Not really what they were going for, I know, but at least with the RI I could pretend one of those women was doing chemistry (chauvinism not intended)

...I guess the bluebird kinda looks like Mordecai from Regular Show. Maybe I can mod up a Rigby

Someone needs to make sound brick(s?) that play the sounds of those birds.   Package them with the set and make mucho  :money:

Edited by Darth_Raichu
  • Like 2

As a non-licensed themed set I would assume the initial production might be similar to Exo Suit and RI and availability only at Lego stores and shop at home.  So, yes, there is probably a window for flipping depending on buyer demand.  Limits will probably be 1 or 2 from the outset if the experience with RI and Exo Suit are any indication.  If Birds is popular like RI and Exo Suit, then we may see it at Target, Amazon, etc... after a few months and another production run.

I don't know the demand for the Birds set will be the same as that for Exo Suit or RI.  Birds looks like a nice set and is very unique in terms of its detail as it's a display model and not for play like the Creator animal/bird sets.  But, Exo Suit had the classic space vibe and hype going for it and RI had the female scientist angle and some media hype initially. 

Each new IDEAS set is a new experience, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

It seems to be a nice, little set. But then, Lego has a lot of such. RI was kind of special because of all that built-up hype. The birds set doesn't have that. I don't think it will be even nearly as close to where RI has been. In other words: it probably will be exactly what the ideas line is supposed to be: nice, little additions to the regular line, designed at least in part by fans. Of course - like everything you never know.

I really like this set, almost can't wait to build and display in my office. I'm a huge fan of the Architecture sets because they make for such great display pieces. From CUUSOO/Ideas, this is a must have for me alongside the Rover, although my untouched inventory of Exo Suits might suggest I believed otherwise about 4 months ago.  :taunt: Simply fantastic. I'll probably get a couple extras just in case, too.

Also limit 1 here at our store. I tried to look up if there were going to be more bird sets to follow, but couldn't confirm. The instruction write-up mentioned the creator wanted to make one bird from each continent. If this was going to be a series may be there it would be an even better investment for this set.