Ideas #009: 21301 - Birds

themoose9

been in the stores a few times over the past week and it seems reasonably popular for a set with no ties to anything.  investment potential will really depend on availability and if there is ever a series 2.  I would not expect to see another RI situation in the near future, so availability will likely be decent if it keeps selling.

Edited by jay4e

My wife built this set last night, and it's a cute set.  Although we both absolutely love birds.  We have 3.  A hybrid cockatoo, blue and gold macaw, and a quaker.  For $45 it's really not bad for what you get.  The birds are detailed enough you can tell what they are without knowing much. 

• Like 1

Picked 1 up for a potential future gift. Set looks great but doesn't really appeal to me. However there are many in my family who absolutely love birds, so it would be a great gift idea for them.

Just not sure if they'd appreciate the Lego side of it ><

I know exactly what you mean. My dad is a big bird watcher and my mom loves hummingbirds but I'm afraid if I gave them this set as a gift I would get a blank stare. 

I think this set has lots of sleeper potential.  The theme flies under the radar (pun intended), and if it follows other IDEAS sets, it won't have a long shelf life.  The theme is pure adult, and that's a good thing.  Supply and demand.  Won't be a lot of these out there, and the theme is classic; my ornithologist wife loves this set, and wants several as gifts for friends.  When future AFOLs discover this set, I think it will be in high demand.  

Also going for it is MSRP is under $50, a relative rarity for AFOL-type sets.  A 5x rise still keeps this reasonable for future AFOLers.  All in all, I see this as one of the best sleeper investments in the current catalog.*  And if a series-2 gets released, based on Thomas Poulsom's other designs, then watch out.  If this set is EOL followed by a series-2, this has amazing upside.  Of course, that's a lot of "ifs", but not unrealistic.

*I pretty much stick to adult-themed sets, under the adage of "invest in what you know". 

Edited by diablo2112

My wife built this set last night, and it's a cute set.  Although we both absolutely love birds.  We have 3.  A hybrid cockatoo, blue and gold macaw, and a quaker.  For $45 it's really not bad for what you get.  The birds are detailed enough you can tell what they are without knowing much. 

Gold Macaw is like the Taj Mahal lego set of birds.

I think this set has lots of sleeper potential.  The theme flies under the radar (pun intended), and if it follows other IDEAS sets, it won't have a long shelf life.  The theme is pure adult, and that's a good thing.  Supply and demand.  Won't be a lot of these out there, and the theme is classic; my ornithologist wife loves this set, and wants several as gifts for friends.  When future AFOLs discover this set, I think it will be in high demand.  

Also going for it is MSRP is under $50, a relative rarity for AFOL-type sets.  A 5x rise still keeps this reasonable for future AFOLers.  All in all, I see this as one of the best sleeper investments in the current catalog.*  And if a series-2 gets released, based on Thomas Poulsom's other designs, then watch out.  If this set is EOL followed by a series-2, this has amazing upside.  Of course, that's a lot of "ifs", but not unrealistic.

*I pretty much stick to adult-themed sets, under the adage of "invest in what you know". 

5x? Yeah...I don't see people paying $200+ for some crudely rendered birds. I'm sure lots of people are more bullish on this set than I am but to me this just doesn't have any of the boxes ticked: Where is the popular theme backing it? Where are the minifigs? Bespoke pieces? It's still in stock on LEGO Shop at Home -- even the ubiquitous Exo Suit went out of stock temporarily.

Who knows, I may very well be dead wrong. Ideas sets are certainly a gamble and you never know which ones will pay out but I personally won't bet my money on this (or any other set) becoming the next Mars Rover.

5x? Yeah...I don't see people paying $200+ for some crudely rendered birds. I'm sure lots of people are more bullish on this set than I am but to me this just doesn't have any of the boxes ticked: Where is the popular theme backing it? Where are the minifigs? Bespoke pieces? It's still in stock on LEGO Shop at Home -- even the ubiquitous Exo Suit went out of stock temporarily.

Who knows, I may very well be dead wrong. Ideas sets are certainly a gamble and you never know which ones will pay out but I personally won't bet my money on this (or any other set) becoming the next Mars Rover.

eh, $100 is a pretty much rough estimate on the value of this set in the future ... in my books thats a winner!

I hated this set at first.  Now i really like it and also now want the bird set that was given to employees this year.  

I like it b/c it can be displayed at a decorative piece all year.  I have the Christmas sets displayed at Christmas, the Monster sets at Halloween, but they as awesome as they are, they are still toys.  

These sets can sit nicely on a shelf next to a plant of something and they don't look like you have toys displayed in your house.  

That's just my 2 cents.  

I hated this set at first.  Now i really like it and also now want the bird set that was given to employees this year.  

I like it b/c it can be displayed at a decorative piece all year.  I have the Christmas sets displayed at Christmas, the Monster sets at Halloween, but they as awesome as they are, they are still toys.  

These sets can sit nicely on a shelf next to a plant of something and they don't look like you have toys displayed in your house.  

That's just my 2 cents.  

To anyone who isn't an AFOL, they're all toys. And I actually think this one looks more Lego-ish than ever because the studs are so prominent. If you want something that doesn't look like a toy, look at the Architecture line and how the studs are usually covered by smooth bricks to make them look more like a model and less like a toy.

Guest TabbyBoy

I'm still trying to make up my mind on this and you lot aren't helping! ;-)  However, I'll pull the trigger on one when I have more VIP points to use up.

Edited by TabbyBoy

To anyone who isn't an AFOL, they're all toys. And I actually think this one looks more Lego-ish than ever because the studs are so prominent. If you want something that doesn't look like a toy, look at the Architecture line and how the studs are usually covered by smooth bricks to make them look more like a model and less like a toy.

My wife and I have bird art all over our house.  As artists, lego fans, and bird lovers we will definitely be building and displaying this set.  I wouldn't pay $100 for it, but it's definitely a set that bird lovers will want, and there are a lot of bird lovers.  I made sure to get one before they are gone.  Any non lego fans that see the sets we have on display think they are great, and start thinking about buying legos.

Built this set last week and agree that it's very nice.  We have it displayed on our mantle.  I hope there's another version with some new birds coming soon.

For everyone with cats please give them a big hug when you get home today.  We just learned today our youngest (<2 yrs old) has FIP and may only have a week to live.  We had no idea this was coming other than that she wasn't her usual self the last few weeks until I took her into the vet today.  It puts Lego investing and other issues much into perspective.

• Like 6