Ideas #009: 21301 - Birds

themoose9

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, LegoBro said:

FWIW looks like Walmart finally sold out.  Going for 69.98 3rd party seller

$70 in the seller's dreams. If you check Amazon, everyone's favorite vendor Toy Planet has dumped over 350 units at RRP. This set is the poster child of Lego's hubris. 

Just now, pete411 said:

$70 in the seller's dreams. If you check Amazon, everyone's favorite vendor Toy Planet has dumped over 350 units at RRP. This set is the poster child of Lego's hubris. 

I never said it was selling at 69 lol  Maybe in a decade. Such a shame.  I think it's a really nice set though.

Um, can someone explain to me why it's simply LEGO's arrogance that TP bought 350+ units?

They are a business and they are supposed to turn down people buying their products? It wasn't like it was a hard set to buy from every retailer. And we have all heard about the ways people circumvent "limits".

Because they are supposed to care about reseller pricing? It is not an essential like food or fuel.

I have a feeling that plenty of people here would do the same thing if they could (aka buy enough to control pricing for a bit) especially since almost every review pretty much said it was a wonderful, one of a kind set that was going to be worth hundreds after retirement.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, grackleflint said:

Um, can someone explain to me why it's simply LEGO's arrogance that TP bought 350+ units?

They are a business and they are supposed to turn down people buying their products? It wasn't like it was a hard set to buy from every retailer. And we have all heard about the ways people circumvent "limits".

Because they are supposed to care about reseller pricing? It is not an essential like food or fuel.

I have a feeling that plenty of people here would do the same thing if they could (aka buy enough to control pricing for a bit) especially since almost every review pretty much said it was a wonderful, one of a kind set that was going to be worth hundreds after retirement.

I think Lego plays a big part in their current brand devaluation. Their current market strategy is saturation and overproduction. Now we see 50% off Lego during the height of the Christmas holiday season and retailers still can't sell their stock. We see Lego Dimensions practically being given away. Lego doesn't sell anymore at RRP in stores anymore. I think that's a problem for Lego, not just resellers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pete411 said:

I think Lego plays a big part in their current brand devaluation. Their current market strategy is saturation and overproduction. Now we see 50% off Lego during the height of the Christmas holiday season and retailers still can't sell their stock. We see Lego Dimensions practically being given away. Lego doesn't sell anymore at RRP in stores anymore. I think that's a problem for Lego, not just resellers.

The only company that I am aware of that can consistently sell its products at MSRP is Apple (and really only their iPhone) and even that is hidden from buyers with monthly payment plans.

Before LEGO stopped exclusive discounts in the past couple of years (pre-2013), they were consistently on sale (the best example being 10179's being discounted for being slow sellers). For the past couple of years, you could say that stopping discounts were a way to slow down resellers and take advantage of the fact that they were the "hottest" toy company. 

No company has a realistic business plan that relies on selling everything at MSRP. Selling at MSRP equals obscene profits (see Apple's cash pile)

LEGO is no different from any other manufacturer. Their "ultimate" goal is to get their product into the household of every person on this planet, probably at the expense of their competition. If discounting gets someone to buy LEGO instead of Mega Bloks, they can and should do it. According to some sources, LEGO's cost of materials (ABS plastic) is like 3-4% of MSRP so they have plenty of ability to discount heavily.

That said, nothing that they do or did made TP buy 350+ units to try and resell. 

You want to teach LEGO a lesson, don't buy ANY.

Edited by grackleflint

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 6:49 PM, grackleflint said:

The only company that I am aware of that can consistently sell its products at MSRP is Apple (and really only their iPhone) and even that is hidden from buyers with monthly payment plans.

I think you're onto something.  Lego needs to be bundled with something people have direct debited from their bank accounts each month with no thought, like health insurance.  I like it.  And since health insurance goes up 25% each year anyway, no one will notice the extra couple % to finance GhostDad's Retired Exclusive of the Month Club.  Well, until the Tower of Orthancs start arriving...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...