Ideas #009: 21301 - Birds

themoose9

Might have more potential. The first 2 weeks Birds was on Amazon, it was the #1 ranked seller in toys. That's an important data point. This set has massive appeal to folks not usually interested in Lego. FYI.

Are you sure? It has always been listed in the wrong category and from the start has been dominating the "Models and Model Kits" category on Amazon.

It`s a fantastic display, I`ve always loved birds, so perhaps there is a bit more connection with this set for me than some, but I love it. Got all 3 on display, naturally, and they`re just excellent. 

That said, I agree with being very careful with this one for Investment. As others have said, there is obviously no license backing, nor is it a set that appeals to the masses. Much more of a niche filling, which I think is a shame, but it is what it is. Bottom line, probably not a good idea to buy 50 of these  :derisive:

Anyone seen a seal-code more recent than 44S4 on this set?  Trying to figure out if they've done a second packaging run yet.

My copy is also seal code 44S4. I think I`d agree with you that there is probably just the 1 run in the wild right now. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New stock of this at my local TRU.  Seal code 02S5.  Looks like another packaging run was done.

I think the "S" part of this code has a bit of significance.  It means world-wide packaging runs are still being done in Denmark.   If they were to modify plans due to especially large demand, movement of some packing to the Mexico plant would tell us something.  That hasn't happened.  Just a small bit of data that shows this set is on the same trajectory as other Ideas sets with prior 9 month +/- lifetimes.  

Edited by diablo2112

How long do you guys reckon this will run? The normal 12-18 months for Idea's projects or a limited run like the Mars Rover, I ask because I haven't got any yet and plan on buying at least 10, it is a unique set and I have no idea how its going to perform but theirs just something about it.

Does anyone have a scanned copy of the Lego HUB Birds employee set? You can BL all new parts to create the 5 birds for about $70 from what I'm seeing. I'd love to have the 5 additional birds to add to my display of the Lego Ideas Birds set, but can't see paying the current secondary market prices. I've found a couple poorly scanned copies of the swan and bald eagle instructions so far.

the woodpecker and cardinal are ok but i don't like the kingfisher at all.  even the first two mentioned aren't great, just ok.  i think the first 3 birds set that was made, with Lego's help are much better.  hopefully they will take his models and spruce em up a bit.  but i do love the birds set and would love to have 3 new ones every 6-12 months as a series.  

the woodpecker and cardinal are ok but i don't like the kingfisher at all.  even the first two mentioned aren't great, just ok.  i think the first 3 birds set that was made, with Lego's help are much better.  hopefully they will take his models and spruce em up a bit.  but i do love the birds set and would love to have 3 new ones every 6-12 months as a series.  

I agree with this assessment.  I also think, this may be the photos and some of the design choices with the tree the woodpecker is perched on, the bird itself looks ok.  If this set gets approved, I'm sure Lego would change the tree design, for among other reasons its just too many bricks to keep the price point below $50 for a set of three.

No reason why they couldn`t make a Bird series with 3, 4, or even 5 sets over the next few years. Not like`s a limited number of actual birds out there haha. That would be great if they would, I`m sure many people would be into collecting them all.