Ideas #009: 21301 - Birds

themoose9

Well I think some kind of pecking tree is essential for the woodpecker.  just doesn't have to be so stocky.  i love the flower with the hummingbird.  without it, the bird itself isn't all that impressive.  if these birds went into production, lego would spruce em up some, add the better stands and placards also.  plus these bases are no good.  but i def think birds will become a series.  

• 1 month later...

Anyone seen any of these sets with seal codes newer than very early 2015?  My local TRU had a a bunch of these in March with seal codes from very early 2015 and very late 2014.  Once I and others helped move them off the shelves they brought out another batch, but these had seal codes that were even earlier, if memory serves me correctly they are 46R14.

I'm wondering if this will be a very limited release.  I'm buying them as fast as I can with that current TRU 20% off coupon.

Anyone seen any of these sets with seal codes newer than very early 2015?  My local TRU had a a bunch of these in March with seal codes from very early 2015 and very late 2014.  Once I and others helped move them off the shelves they brought out another batch, but these had seal codes that were even earlier, if memory serves me correctly they are 46R14.

I'm wondering if this will be a very limited release.  I'm buying them as fast as I can with that current TRU 20% off coupon.

​If it was very limited release, it would be difficult to get by now.  IDEAS hasn't had a limited release since RI/Exo, which were subsequently overproduced in new production runs.  BTW, what is this 20% off coupon you speak of?  I must have missed that, and the forum search isn't helping.

• Like 1

I've only seen 2 seal codes for this set, one in late 2014, the other in January 2015.   I, too, would love to know about a TRU 20% off coupon which is good for this set.  

​I think even the most recent 20% off coupons still need a manager override to work, so technically it's YMMV.

I've only seen 2 seal codes for this set, one in late 2014, the other in January 2015.   I, too, would love to know about a TRU 20% off coupon which is good for this set.

Daily Lego Deals thread on April 29th discuss the TRU coupon (20% with CC on regular priced items - Lego not excluded - and yes it does stack with 10% Thurs). Jerryherb made a code print out to use. However, if you want a physical coupon, the stores seem to have them availabe at the front desk if you ask...either that or my TRU just likes me!   :derisive:

YMMV

• 1 month later...

EU sales have been really strong in the last week. I wonder how much that has had to do with the UK documentary.

The dates coincide so the power of free advertising and the impact of programmes like that should not be underestimated.

Maybe they should have chosen the Exo Suit instead!

Interesting noone has commented on the recent run on this set. From 700 units per month average it has shifted close to 1k units IN A WEEK in EU since the documentary was screened.

Lego seem to have been wrongfooted too as delivery is 30 days.

• Like 1

there was a recent run?  My TRU keeps restocking this, but they are all with a lat 2014 european seal code.  I haven't seen one from 2015 that is later than january

I think he means recent run, in that people are buying these more than usual.  As in "people are making a run at milk and bread as a hurricane is bearing down on them".  Not, run, as in production run.

That. Guess the designer will be able to get his Ferrari after all if things continue like this!

Would be interesting to know how much they actually get.

1% of the net win probably isn't too much with the ideas sets.

Let's just say for the sake of simplicity 50$ --> 25$ net (after taxes and stuff) --> 0.25$ per set sold * theoretically sold 1.000.000 sets = 250000$ (does he need to pay taxes from that?)

So neither do I know how good these sets really sell nor do I know how much the net win is...

Interesting noone has commented on the recent run on this set. From 700 units per month average it has shifted close to 1k units IN A WEEK in EU since the documentary was screened.

Lego seem to have been wrongfooted too as delivery is 30 days.

exo-suit II - revenge of the birds

• Like 1

Would be interesting to know how much they actually get.

1% of the net win probably isn't too much with the ideas sets.

Let's just say for the sake of simplicity 50$ --> 25$ net (after taxes and stuff) --> 0.25$ per set sold * theoretically sold 1.000.000 sets = 250000$ (does he need to pay taxes from that?)

So neither do I know how good these sets really sell nor do I know how much the net win is...

The newspaper article about the guy said he had earned 25k GBP if IIRC and that was ony in Q1 but would you believe a UK tabloid for accurate info? Also, one would assume the deal is similar to record sales in that the royalty is paid on MSRP but the sales would likely be those that Lego made to retailers and on the web - so there may be substantial unsold stock out there that would impact on subsequnt quarters as shops won´t be ordering as many till they sell what they have.

I am intrigued to know if the screenig of the doc has really caused this spike in sales (it was only shown officially in the UK) - the dates certainly coincide and demand seems to have been consistent and not just a one day increase that could be atributed to inventory reassignment.

If TV is so powerful, they definitely want to make a show about the exo suit too!

But he said 1% of "net profits". Sales was only about 50000 units. Means that lego must be making a massive profit per set or is it 1% of "sales"?

I deal with royalties all day long.  Typically they are based on sales.  The reason is that if it were profit, well then us accountants would ensure that it was NOT profitable (he'd be paying for tooling, storage space in the showroom, etc).  Also, since I find it unlikely that TLG wholesales to LEGO Shop at Home or the Lego Store, the average selling price is probably closer to $35 (since those sales are straight to retail).  To come up with this, I just assumed that half the sales were direct to customer and half were wholesale, this assumption may be way off.

Keep in mind, this is only from my experience, and Lego may treat it completely differently.

Edited by El Guapo

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...