Amazon Warehouse Deals - Worth the Risk?

edgecrusher

I'm dying. When did that show up? Good pull, and I would have happily picked that up at that price. Always wanted one to build and I refuse to open my minty fresh ones.

Right before Labor Day weekend.  I wasn't sure I would get it since I had to spend time removing stuff from my cart that my wife put in there.  I'm not sure if I'll flip it, build it, or maybe even try to trade it.

• Like 1

I bought Birds from AWD and whoever returned it had started building the bluejay.  The other two birds were still in sealed bags.  But half of the bluejay parts were missing.  I think it might have originally been missing a bag because the stand was built right up to the point where the a missing piece prevented you from continuing with the build.  Since I had bought it to build anyway, I just contacted LEGO and they shipped out the missing parts.  But this is a case where Amazon should not have sold it through AWD. I always wonder how thorough their inspection is to confirm if a set is complete.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is outrageous. I just witnessed some incredible handy work from some pro scammer!!!

An AWD set came, I had no doubt cutting it open with my knife. All the bags sealed. I wouldn't notice sometimes missing if I didn't have another identical set by my side. Luckily I did have another set. Lo and behold. When I looked at the content carefully, no minifigures are in any of the bags, even they are sealed TIGHT! And looking carefully, that small bag in bag #2 is empty but it's there! Bag #4 was completely missing from the set so the two small bags supposedly in it were out. Again, looking intact! So if anyone just opens this, he wouldn't have noticed anything weird until he opens the bags and starts building it!!!

I really can't believe what's in front of me right now. Maybe I'll put some pictures up... just to show how pro this thief is.

Edited by cissi

This is outrageous. I just witnessed some incredible handy work from some pro scammer!!!

An AWD set came, I had no doubt cutting it open with my knife. All the bags sealed. I wouldn't notice sometimes missing if I didn't have another identical set by my side. Luckily I did have another set. Lo and behold. When I looked at the content carefully, no minifigures are in any of the bags, even they are sealed TIGHT! And looking carefully, that small bag in bag #3 is empty but it's there! Bag #4 was completely missing from the set so the two small bags supposedly in it were out. Again, looking intact! So if anyone just opens this, he wouldn't have noticed anything weird until he opens the bags and starts building it!!!

I really can't believe what's in front of me right now. Maybe I'll put some pictures up... just to show how pro this thief is.

That's just scary! Do the reseals look any different at all?

That's just scary! Do the reseals look any different at all?

No, it looks very VERY sealed. Other than one has a bubble on it but you won't even give it a 2nd thought as all LEGO sets could have that. I've been observing this box for minutes under light up to this point, still couldn't believe this is happening. Too pro.

• Like 1

No, it looks very VERY sealed. Other than one has a bubble on it but you won't even give it a 2nd thought as all LEGO sets could have that. I've been observing this box for minutes under light up to this point, still couldn't believe this is happening. Too pro.

What set is it?  I've checked most of mine, but not all of them, I may need to go do that now.

Can someone please let me know if this is correct. I thought AWD were basically just battered boxes. I've purchased them before & bags were accounted for & still sealed.

I just received a T1 & every bag has been opened & taped closed or not closed at all with pieces loose scattered around in the box. All the stickers were removed from the sheets. This was clearly built by someone. Is that what I purchased? Am I missing something here?

Can someone please let me know if this is correct. I thought AWD were basically just battered boxes. I've purchased them before & bags were accounted for & still sealed.

I just received a T1 & every bag has been opened & taped closed or not closed at all with pieces loose scattered around in the box. All the stickers were removed from the sheets. This was clearly built by someone. Is that what I purchased? Am I missing something here?

I think this happens sometimes. Most of the cases people are lucky to received a battered box and sealed bags. Sometimes a really 'used' item will pop up. I think if the condition is simply used, Amazon won't let you return for free as they'll say it is listed as 'used'. (I had this happen once that minifigures are missing and the rep first asked if I was aware that the list was listed as used. But of course, I told him afterwards that parts are taken away and not all the pieces are in the set I received.) So, technically, if all the pieces are there in your T1, then you are receiving what you ordered - used. But if indeed there is a good number of pieces missing, it is right to ask for a return shipping label. Of course, if you push harder, Amazon will bend regardless............. then, it'll be an ethical argument to be moved to the ethical thread, I guess.

Edited by cissi
  • Like 2

I think this happens sometimes. Most of the cases people are lucky to received a battered box and sealed bags. Sometimes a really 'used' item will pop up. I think if the condition is simply used, Amazon won't let you return for free as they'll say it is listed as 'used'. (I had this happen once that minifigures are missing and the rep first asked if I was aware that the list was listed as used. But of course, I told him afterwards that parts are taken away and not all the pieces are in the set I received.) So, technically, if all the pieces are there in your T1, then you are receiving what you ordered - used. But if indeed there is a good number of pieces missing, it is right to ask for a return shipping label. Of course, if you push harder, Amazon will bend regardless............. then, it'll be an ethical argument to be moved to the ethical thread, I guess.

OK. Thanks for that. But where does this stuff come from? I don't understand how they would even have used product in the first place...

OK. Thanks for that. But where does this stuff come from? I don't understand how they would even have used product in the first place...

That I don't really know for sure.

For one thing, Amazon claims AWD is a separate body (3rd party) from Amazon even though it bears Amazon's name with it (which I found very weird...). I can only guess AWD's stuff probably come from some Amazon returns and they probably take other FBA items... but others may have better answers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just received a Slave 1 I purchased from AWD.  One end had broken seals and was taped shut.  But I find this is pretty normal for LEGO sets from Warehouse Deals.  When I opened it to check the contents (as one should do with every AWD purchase, even if it looks unopened) I found one big sealed bag with all of the pieces loose in it and I could see the stickers had been applied.  Someone obviously built this and then returned it.  I'm sending it back as not as described.

Here is the condition Amazon listed

Condition: Used - Very Good - Item has no cosmetic scratches or blemishes. Item has no cracks or dents. Item will come in original packaging. Packaging will be damaged.

I have bought a lot from AWD and this will be my first return to them.  I've had two other issues where a single bag in a set was ripped open and pieces were missing, which I was able to get partial refunds for.  And once one set was missing a complete bag and I just contacted LEGO to get a replacement since it was a current set.  So overall I'm still pleased with them and will continue to take my chances.

I just received a Slave 1 I purchased from AWD.  One end had broken seals and was taped shut.  But I find this is pretty normal for LEGO sets from Warehouse Deals.  When I opened it to check the contents (as one should do with every AWD purchase, even if it looks unopened) I found one big sealed bag with all of the pieces loose in it and I could see the stickers had been applied.  Someone obviously built this and then returned it.  I'm sending it back as not as described.

Here is the condition Amazon listed

Condition: Used - Very Good - Item has no cosmetic scratches or blemishes. Item has no cracks or dents. Item will come in original packaging. Packaging will be damaged.

I have bought a lot from AWD and this will be my first return to them.  I've had two other issues where a single bag in a set was ripped open and pieces were missing, which I was able to get partial refunds for.  And once one set was missing a complete bag and I just contacted LEGO to get a replacement since it was a current set.  So overall I'm still pleased with them and will continue to take my chances.

I don't really understand the "used" thing. I get they wanna protect themselves but I received sets before also that were clearly built & stickers applied. Who's accepting these returns & thinks "let's become a garage sale?" Just ridiculous IMO...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

I don't really understand the "used" thing. I get they wanna protect themselves but I received sets before also that were clearly built & stickers applied. Who's accepting these returns & thinks "let's become a garage sale?" Just ridiculous IMO...

I agree. My understanding is the items should be damaged product from the warehouse or damaged, but unopened, returns from customers.  I'm fine with the seals being broken, since that can easily happen when a box gets damaged, but sets that are obviously used should not be sold like this.  

I'd guess that some of the returns employees either aren't aware of how LEGO should be packaged inside the box or just don't care.  Luckily in my experience most of these sets end up being complete with all the interior bags sealed. And Amazon is pretty hassle free with returns (which also helps create the problem in the first place). I hope this one doesn't just end up back on AWD though.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pro scammer experience #2, I suspect the same person did this.

Set seals look okay, not particular suspicious...

bricks bags... hmmm, not bag 1? And... bag 2, no sign of any minifigures... wait... the small plastic bag inside bag 2 is open but bag 2 is sealed!!!

pro.JPG

Edited by cissi
  • Like 1