40158 - Pirates Chess Set (2015)

TheOrcKing

From a post over on The Brick Fan, just2good of Eurobricks has stated a new chess set will go along with the other Pirates sets of 2015. This should make building an army of blue coats and buccaneers rather easy, eh?

Please let it be an awesome looking set - not just a "just for play"-set, but also a "wow"-kind of set.

Would have been better (cooler) to have a LotR chess set. They did miss that opportunity.

There aren't licensed LEGO chess sets because some other company has the rights to produce chess sets for any given property. There would have been a Star Wars chess set long ago if they could just produce whatever they wanted.

There aren't licensed LEGO chess sets because some other company has the rights to produce chess sets for any given property. There would have been a Star Wars chess set long ago if they could just produce whatever they wanted.

Who would be the queen piece for the empire side?  Hayden Christensen dark Anakin?

• Like 2

Please let it be an awesome looking set - not just a "just for play"-set, but also a "wow"-kind of set.

There would have been a Star Wars chess set long ago if they could just produce whatever they wanted.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandongriffith/sets/72157622043546373/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandongriffith/sets/72157624770160743/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandongriffith/sets/72157630740455010/

• 4 weeks later...

And one big mistake - white King on white field at the beginning and vice versa...

(Beside this mistake this set is really crap comparing to the old Pirate chess set...)

Further negative - as the fields have a stud in the middle a minifig can never stay exactly in the middle of the field but slihtly on the left or right...

I would fire the designer... ;-)

Edited by mauro23
  • Like 3

Interesting that they added some display features to the exterior of the board, but I`d rather have seen the parts put to use on making the board space itself and the pieces better. I`m a huge fan of the Kingdoms Chess Set from years back, it`s Lego`s best thus far (IMHO). Still holding out hope that Lego makes another one like it, with larger pieces. Maybe in this case the pirate pawns could have small brick-built rafts, the rooks a small tower, bishops a mast (they are taller after all, aside form King and Queen, at least they should be). Something similar for the Imperial Army side. Aside from the army building purpose (which is great, I`ll give the chess sets that), I`m just not a fan of these sets that don`t have more impressive pieces. They`ve done it before, why not again? Here`s what I`m talking about.

Lego-Lord-Of-The-Rings-Chess-Set-4.jpg

An image has surfaced on eBay possibly revealing the new chessboard for the latest Pirates theme.

Source: Brickset

+ Having a stud in the middle of each square is brilliant

- Not sure if this look is going to be a big hit for adult post EOL.  The older LEGO chess sets look like chess sets that were made using LEGO pieces.  This one is more like a LEGO set that looks like a chess set.   :search:

• Alpinemaps changed the title to 40158 - Pirates Chess Set (2015)