60097 - City Square

Sauromosis

Is it just me, or does the "1932" brick/tile on the front seem out of place?? Especially with the big AC condenser on the roof..

The model looks too vague to properly answer that. But many buildings of that era have been retrofitted with central air conditioning.

• 2 months later...

It's not even on Lego site yet. Toys R Us had all of the new Space, City, and Arctic sets. All shelves were stocked.

​That's typical. TRU usually has many new sets available before other retailers have them in their stores or on their website.

I like this set but $189 is too rich for my blood on this thing.  Will definitely be only purchased on sale, and a steep one at that.  There are sets out there that I don't mind paying retail to have it right away, this is not one of them, and I really do like City.

​Aside from the helicopter, it's an excellent set for someone just starting out with Lego. If you already have a city built up around modulars, this is lacklustre for that price.

I'd consider picking up just the tram and lego store from a parter outer but man, we don't need any more cars, trucks or helicopters!!

• Like 1

Lots of minifigs.  There are some nice builds/pieces.  For this price...I would prefer quality over quantity actually.  Some of the buildings are just ok, good for starting out I guess but IMO lacks size/detail to be including in a modular set up.  I haven't built my one copy of the Grand Opening Lego Store promo set yet but think it looks better than this version of the Lego store.  I do need more 'accessories' to surround and compliment my modular neighbourhood but would prefer buying smaller sets as needed vs this City Square set.  But always nice to see new Lego sets as every builder/collector has their preference.       

• Like 1

​Aside from the helicopter, it's an excellent set for someone just starting out with Lego. If you already have a city built up around modulars, this is lacklustre for that price.

I'd consider picking up just the tram and lego store from a parter outer but man, we don't need any more cars, trucks or helicopters!!

​Would have prefereed the car "Garage" to be some other type of building. I think most LEGO cities have enough of those by now :P

Like the rest of the set though.

• Like 1

Some of the buildings are just ok, good for starting out I guess but IMO lacks size/detail to be including in a modular set up.  

​I don't think LEGO is considering modulars in any way when designing these sets. Although a modular street accessory set would be gold.

• 2 weeks later...

​I was able to get one fo these yesterday from TRU.  Using the TRUTH method, I think I paid ~$123 and got the free polybag.  For the heck of it, I'm thinking about parting it out tonight and putting on ebay just to see what happens.

​I was able to get one fo these yesterday from TRU.  Using the TRUTH method, I think I paid ~$123 and got the free polybag.  For the heck of it, I'm thinking about parting it out tonight and putting on ebay just to see what happens.

You can always keep the helicopter for parts since I doubt anybody needs another heli. ;)

• 5 months later...
18 hours ago, Neosphinx said:

Fantastic fun to build. I think this is the largest LEGO City set or am I wrong? The tree does suck.

Second biggest according to Brickset... 10184 - Town Plan was bigger with 1980 vs 1677 pieces.

The tree in 10184 will give this one a run for it's money, but I agree using the round 2x2 bricks for the trunk was a sucky move. They should have just expand a little on the one from the spring time scene (40052).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gregpj said:

Second biggest according to Brickset... 10184 - Town Plan was bigger with 1980 vs 1677 pieces.

The tree in 10184 will give this one a run for it's money, but I agree using the round 2x2 bricks for the trunk was a sucky move. They should have just expand a little on the one from the spring time scene (40052).

Ach I guess it could be worse if it would have been 2x2 square. Will be good investment imo.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I can get these for 149 AUD each (108 USD) Is this a good deal?

From what I have seen the train sets are pretty safe investments, not amazing returns but nothing to turn your nose up at either...

They had about 10 sets, I had to stop myself buying all of them...

For me, it's a great price...

3 hours ago, josh_676 said:

It seems to be a set that a lot of people talk down on, but it's big and it has a train...

It's a tram bro

I like this set a lot though. Perhaps it will eventually perform like 60026 and 8404.

Been readily available at 20% off and more since it arrived in Australia, but I still see it everywhere at the moment. 

• Like 2