What LEGO set did you build today?

Ed Mack

Two of our more popular threads are "What LEGO set(s) did you buy today?" and "What LEGO set(s) did you sell today?" These threads are filled with great information. But we all know LEGO bricks are about "building" LEGO sets and models, so why shouldn't we talk about it on this site as well? I mean, many LEGO sets that are fantastic builds are also investment winners, so why shouldn't people share some of their experiences of build and set quality that might affect LEGO set values, either positively or negatively? Let us know what you built today and your overall thoughts on the set. Don't forget to leave more in depth reviews in our LEGO SET REVIEWS section...

Edited by Ed Mack

Let me start it off by telling you what I built recently. I built the 10174 STAR WARS UCS AT-ST. It took me about 4 hours to build while watching TV and was well worth it. Big set...surprisingly so. Very realistic. I just didn't like that there was no interior parts or details. I love greebles. Overall...a winner in my book.

Great idea for a thread Ed!! I'm currently working on building the Imperial Flagship. I have been meaning to build this set for the past 2 years but other projects keep getting in the way, like the Christmas sets and train sets and the Haunted House. Anyhow I'm finally working on the Imperial Flagship. Can't wait to see it finished, and then build the QAR and BP to display next to it!

• Like 1

I built R2-D2 set 10225 last week (my most recent). It took me about 6 hours over two nights in front of the TV. The detail of this set is great and for a set I consider more of a model than a toy it has enough moveable parts and a sturdy enough construction to be played with (carefully) by anyone over 13. It is - in my opinion - as iconic a set as R2-D2 himself.

• Like 2

Great idea for a thread Ed!! I'm currently working on building the Imperial Flagship. I have been meaning to build this set for the past 2 years but other projects keep getting in the way, like the Christmas sets and train sets and the Haunted House. Anyhow I'm finally working on the Imperial Flagship. Can't wait to see it finished, and then build the QAR and BP to display next to it!

Thanks...I have one Imperial Flagship and it will NOT be built! LOL

I built R2-D2 set 10225 last week (my most recent). It took me about 6 hours over two nights in front of the TV. The detail of this set is great and for a set I consider more of a model than a toy it has enough moveable parts and a sturdy enough construction to be played with (carefully) by anyone over 13. It is - in my opinion - as iconic a set as R2-D2 himself.

Love this set. I need to buy a used one that I can build.
  • Like 2

Thanks...I have one Imperial Flagship and it will NOT be built! LOL

Haha, understandable. Well if you get an itch to build the one you have let me know and I'll sell you an MISB so you can have both one displayed and one sealed in the box to collect dust on the shelf....Lol

Went on a recent building binge with my son, and was able to do some reviews on them. We built Jabba's Palace and Rancor Pit Goblin King Battle Mirkwood Spiders Bag End He took it upon himself to find Bespin Planet set and build the Twin Pod Cloud Car. It had been a long time since I had opened a set for building that wasn't bought with the sole intention of being built since it was a present to him. I am still wanting to build one of my Town Hall's to add to the city, but have nowhere to put it right now since our new place is small on display space.

• Like 1

Seems weird it took this long for someone to finally create this thread. I remember emid78 mentioned in the "What Set did you buy today?" thread something about starting one, but never actually did despite the encouragement. Here's a quick link to the post.

Well, I have not had a chance to build something this year, but I have been busy drawing up random car designs in various scales. I figured a way to build a 6-stud wide car with working doors and have room for two minifigures right next to each other, among other things. Now I am trying to see just how many different cars I can come up with using the basic 4-stud wide standard.

One suggestion Ed, you may want to 'sticky note' this thread so that it stays around the top of the forum and keep it easy to find for everyone.

Seems wierd it took this long for someone to finally create this thread. I remember emid78 mentioned in the "What Set did you buy today?" thread something about starting one, but never actually did despite the encouragement. Here's a quick link to the post.

Well, I have not had a chance to build something this year, but I have been busy drawing up random car designs in various scales. I figured a way to build a 6-stud wide car with working doors and have room for two minifigures right next to each other, among other things. Now I am trying to see just how many different cars I can come up with using the basic 4-stud wide standard.

One suggestion Ed, you may want to 'sticky note' this thread so that it stays around the top of the forum and keep it easy to find for everyone.

You are right. We are always so busy spending money on sets, we forget they are supposed to be built. I really think the "What LEGO set did you buy today?" thread has very useful information on a daily basis. I think this thread will offer similar insights to different sets that might not be apparent by looking at a box. I really want people to share their opinions on all sorts of sets and hope this leads to a quality library of LEGO SET REVIEWS.
  • Like 1

Sweet! Love the pics! Do you have to run 2 PF motors when you run 2 trains combined like that? Or can 1 PF motor handle it?

My motor and PF lights arrived. 1 motor works okay. Waiting on my speed PF controller, just using the on/off remote switch at the moment.

Nice!! I wonder if it is even worth using a second motor when running a x2 Horizon Express setup?

• Like 1

With my 3 yr old son, we built my childhood 6074 Black Falcon's Fortress. It was a long process since he's only 3 and the elements were mixed together with my 6080 King's Castle and 6041 Armor Shop . I still have the original boxes and instructions for each. During the last year, we also built the newer 6080 Batcave, 6862 Lower Armor Lex, 8038 Battle of Endor, MF Were Wolf, MF Mummy, Droids Escape, Luke's Landspeeder, the last XWing, and 7621 Indiana Jones Lost Tomb. We also built various Duplo Cars sets. Next up is a 99% complete 7783 Batcave . He really wants to build Jabba's Palace but that will be a b-day gift (I actually have 2 loose 9516s so we should make a nice MOC). just one additional note : building ANY lego set with a 3 yr old is truly a test of parental patience :)

• Like 1

Built the "Blue Roadster" (6913) two days ago. An okay car. Modified the doors and hood to make it look better. For anyone that wanted to know, it can seat a minifigure. You just need to remove the two blue 1x2 tiles right next to the seats and doors to give the minifig literally enough 'elbow room'.

I also built this year's "Highway Speedster" (31006). Man, I friggin love this car!! It's the closest that LEGO can get to designing a Ferrari without it actually being one! The alternate builds are pretty good too.

Was planning on building the "Propeller Adventures" (7292) set next.

Just built the Daily Bugle 76005, absoloutely loved it. All the pieces were bagged level to level so the general progression of the build was fun. There were alot of sticker pieces so there were some tense moments, but I got through it in the end. The building has a nice smooth tile look, with lots of single studs dotted about everwhere to pose spiderman/secure the web piece in lots of dynamic positions. May post a photo when I have the time, but for anyone considering buying a set I say get it.

I've been working on piecing together a few sets from a huge mixed lot. After about a week of sorting bricks, finally finished up the 10174 UCS AT-ST today. I'm debating whether to spend the $15 to get the sticker. I'm about 99% done on a 7662 MTT and a 8097 Slave I. Just waiting on a couple Bricklink orders to finish those. And I've started the 10193 MMV, though it's missing all the blue pieces. Don't know whether I'll try to finish it up or not.

• Like 2