What LEGO set did you build today?

Ed Mack

I just built the 6080 Batcave. This is one of the biggest sets I've built since I got a Black Monarch's Castle way back when. I was pleasantly surprised by the build. I really wasn't expecting much as I thought the box looked horrible. The only reason I bought it was to get a 50% off deal on a Vampyre Castle at Shopko. I think this is one set that was a victim of poor packaging and excessive sticker use throughout the build (I hate stickers on legos). I ended up using only some stickers for Batman's computers and a couple signs. The set looks great on my bookshelf! I now have a garage to park my two tumblers that I built based on this guy's work: Batman Lego Tumbler v.2

I completed the 10220 VW Camper Van over the weekend. While I know that the 16+ kits are not designed to be toys and some parts of the kits can be rather loose in their assembly, but I ran into a problem with the pop-up camper top that bugged me enough that I performed my first modification to a kit. The pair of brown 1x4 bricks were just not strong enough to hold the scissor hinges in place when operating the pop-up camper feature. When the whole assembly pops loose, that fabric curtain surround has to be removed to some degree to reset the bricks. Plus, that fabric gets in between the bricks when you close it and the top never really gets completely closed on my kit - the top could not press down on the assembly to re-seat those brown bricks at all. Like most Lego things, I found the project to fix this a lot of fun. I didn't want to remove pieces from any other kits, so I grabbed a bag of about 30 random bricks and tiles I had from my local Lego store's wall of bricks (most of the cup I bought went to my wife's therapy kids but that's another story). It was like the Apollo 13 "square filter in a round hole" issue - I need to lock the hinges down and I only have these 30 random pieces to work with. I found a way to stack a handful of 1x2 tiles on top of the red 2x2 tile that was already on the van and I tied it all into the rear curtain mount to add strength my locking technique. I did make the entire assembly one tile taller with a 2x6 tile (the only one I had in the bag). It does not pop loose now and while the top still does not completely close, I know that when I press down on the top, the hinge assembly is being re-seated.

• 4 weeks later...

What the heck, might as well add something here. Umm, I finally got a chance to open up my complete set of Series 9 Minifigures. Man, I friggin' love these guys! This is quite possibly the best all around series yet! .....And watch me say the same thing when the next series comes out. And the one after that, and the one after that, and the one after that, and the ah hell.... These things are gonna be the death of me! (And my wallet.)

Building a few of my old SW sets for resale at the moment. Just completed in the weekend: 4500 Snowspeeder 7201 Final Duel II 7251 Darth Vader Transformation 7264 Imperial Inspection Fun stuff, though not so fun finding pieces when I stupidly stored them all in a big box jumbled together!

Today I built SW 75003 A-Wing. This is the fourth variation of this ship and it is a nice addition to the line. The minifigure pilot is an incredible minifigure with extreme detailing. The only thing I didn't like is that there is a sticker for the display panel of the pilot since the previous incarnations came with it printed. I skipped all the stickers. A fun build and well worth the price.

You built both in one day?????

That's impressive, it takes me a couple days to build one modular lol. I like building one floor a day, but typically after one floor I have to switch it up and build something else, or take a break from building completely. I guess I just can't sit still that long.

Sat down with my son and daughter this afternoon and built 6857 Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape.

Just a neat little set to build. Nothing too fancy but enough in it for everyone.

My son is loving playing with the features!

Yeah 6857 has great playability features! The playability plus the great minifigures included in it make it my favorite Series 2 Batman set. Well Arkham Asylum might actually be the best, but 6857 is a close second IMO.

Yeah 6857 has great playability features! The playability plus the great minifigures included in it make it my favorite Series 2 Batman set. Well Arkham Asylum might actually be the best, but 6857 is a close second IMO.

It definitely does. I was glad to be picking them up at TRUs BOGO sale.

I kept flipping them and would keep on selling the one I intended to keep for myself. I finally decided if I didn't just open it and build it I would keep doing the same thing until it was too late.

How many hours did that take? Ha!

About 3 hours, but I was watching golf at the same time, and stopped to make lunch haha. I'd say it's roughly a 2 hour job for someone like me (average, but experienced builder). I must say it's the biggest first floor of any of the Modulars I've built yet! (I've built all the Mods including the HH except for the PC, Market Street, and Cafe Corner).

About 3 hours, but I was watching golf at the same time, and stopped to make lunch haha. I'd say it's roughly a 2 hour job for someone like me (average, but experienced builder). I must say it's the biggest first floor of any of the Modulars I've built yet! (I've built all the Mods including the HH except for the PC, Market Street, and Cafe Corner).

I love it. Building and watching golf, what else is there to life? :-)

I love it. Building and watching golf, what else is there to life? :-)

Haha exactly man, it doesn't get much better than Lego and golf!! By the way, how has Lego not made a golfer minifigure in the CM's?

Haha exactly man, it doesn't get much better than Lego and golf!! By the way, how has Lego not made a golfer minifigure in the CM's?

I don't know. They've done the Tennis Player thrice, but no golfer. Or even a caddy.

If Lego does get around to making a golfer, how much you wanna bet it will look like Chevy Chase from Caddyshack? XD

I don't know. They've done the Tennis Player thrice, but no golfer. Or even a caddy.

If Lego does get around to making a golfer, how much you wanna bet it will look like Chevy Chase from Caddyshack? xD

Haha yeah that would be great! I haven't watched Caddy Shack in forever, it's definitely one of my favorites!