Mega Blocks Covenant Scarab at TRU

JoshB

The Tru near me has a few Mega Bloks Covenant Scarabs for $144 + tax after all discounts. I saw that before Christmas it was selling on ebay for about $250. The last few sales this month though have been much lower (under $200). Does anyone think this set will sell again for around MSRP ($250)? Would it even be worth picking up?

I had a few I tried to sell but didn't have much luck.  I believe that while this set is a neat design, the lack of figure count and the fact it's the covenant has turned off buyers, especially young boys who are the ones who can push their parents to spend $200-250 on a set like this.  While the set is huge, I think it's simply too much price for too few figures and the "bad guys" to boot.  The reasoning is probably why spend $200 or so on this set, when you can have a few covenant ships and maybe $30-40 covenant figures for the same price amongst other smaller sets.  If a kid views the Troop Carrier or Gunship etc. next to this scarab, they will always choose the military vehicles unless they are the 25-45 collector/fan who's building up his display set.

Even at $200 this isn't selling on Ebay.  So if you buy it at this price point it may be worth $200-250 to collectors in another 2-3 years, but at this point there is too much supply and an obvious lack of demand from Halo Fans, whereas the Call of Duty sets and other large Halo sets which feature the spartans and masterchief are selling just fine. The Forward Unto Dawn ship has been out of availability for about 2 years now and it's price hasn't quite doubled, yet it's the most inconic ship of the whole series.. and that ship also didn't sell very well at a price point of $150-250($250 MSRP)