Bricklinking expensive, large, rare, retired, etc.. sets

spener90

OP thanks for the thread. I am not the best at BL and gave up on doing a CC with all original new parts. Just too many orders and with some of the prices on discontinued parts the cost was not worth the time versus buying one for me.

I started MS a while ago and just haven't got back to it. Like TOK I bought multiples of the Seaside House from YOYO for cheap. My question is for the Dark Blue 1X4 bricks you need 79 and the cheapest seller that has that quantity on BL in the USA is $0.38 each. Lego PAB has them for $0.20 but the color is called Earth blue. So is Earth Blue the same as Dark blue or a different shade?

OP thanks for the thread. I am not the best at BL and gave up on doing a CC with all original new parts. Just too many orders and with some of the prices on discontinued parts the cost was not worth the time versus buying one for me.

I started MS a while ago and just haven't got back to it. Like TOK I bought multiples of the Seaside House from YOYO for cheap. My question is for the Dark Blue 1X4 bricks you need 79 and the cheapest seller that has that quantity on BL in the USA is $0.38 each. Lego PAB has them for $0.20 but the color is called Earth blue. So is Earth Blue the same as Dark blue or a different shade?

Pick a brick has both dark blue and medium blue (sky) cheaper than the same pieces on briclink. Some of the other pieces are also cheaper plus you can get double vip or use it to top up an order for free shipping/promos.

Ex Astris, Scientia.

• Like 1

Pick a brick has both dark blue and medium blue (sky) cheaper than the same pieces on briclink. Some of the other pieces are also cheaper plus you can get double vip or use it to top up an order for free shipping/promos.

Ex Astris, Scientia.

Ok so when I look at rebrickable both Market Street and the new Beach Hut use the color Dark Blue. So I am thinking that Dark blue is dark blue and the shade is the same. But when I go to PAB there is no longer an option for Dark Blue unless I am missing something it looks to me by the shade that it is now Earth Blue. So I am wondering if it is just a name change or a different shade?

Sorry if I am still not explaining that clearly.

Dark blue is called earth blue by Lego.  There are several "earth" colors, and they all correspond to "dark" in common names.  Here's a good reference on color names across BO/BL/Lego/Peeron: http://www.brickowl.com/colors

I've always used this page for colour references, but that one is pretty nice since it references the other popular sites and LDraw.

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Colour_Palette

Peeron's is nicely detailed with the RGB and CMYK values for all the computer nerds out there. :)

Ok so when I look at rebrickable both Market Street and the new Beach Hut use the color Dark Blue. So I am thinking that Dark blue is dark blue and the shade is the same. But when I go to PAB there is no longer an option for Dark Blue unless I am missing something it looks to me by the shade that it is now Earth Blue. So I am wondering if it is just a name change or a different shade?

Sorry if I am still not explaining that clearly.

The two links above are helpful and you can also go the bricks and pieces site and enter your modular set in and get the actual element number and in a separate tab add it to your pick a brick order. Keep in mind that some molds have changed over the years but Lego still considers it the same part number.

Ex Astris, Scientia.

Thanks for all the replies, still not sure what route I will go but I will say this.

I think as prices climb there will be more people going this route, and if prices get out of hand you will see more and more with slightly different color schemes.

If a set gets over $1000 and can be put together pretty close for $300 or less there will be marked and I think the price will rise on the $300 version as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Brickpicker mobile app

This is a useful tool to figure out the cost using the correct pieces:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp

As you will find out alot of the value of these sets and any upside potential is stored in a few rare pieces.

I would suggest grabbing the dark blue arches needed for CC and MS now while they are cheap. TLG put them back into production for 10235 but that set is retired now and the price will only go up again in a few years.

Edited by asharerin

Great help everyone thanks. One more question and hopefully I will be set. Is there a way to part out a set on BL and add it to my inventory so that it removes it from my wanted list.

So I have 4 seaside houses is there a way to cross reference the common elements with MS and remove them from my wanted list or do you have to do each part manually?

Thanks for the color links! I'm quite sure that rebricking is going to become more common as time goes on and tools to do so get better. The back catalogue of awesome sets that cost too much to buy just gets bigger as time goes on. If LEGO never reissues them, which I hope they don't, rebricking will be the only way to get old sets.

I think as prices climb there will be more people going this route, and if prices get out of hand you will see more and more with slightly different color schemes.

I recall finding a Market Street MOC on eBay somebody was selling using green and yellow in place of the medium blue and dark blue but even though I could find the listing, the images are gone. Darn. :resent: Anywho, I wonder what the modular houses would look like using different color schemes out of curiosity.

I undertook this project about this time last year.   I ended up piece-mealing all three (CC, MS & GG) together to try and consolidate parts orders as much as possible.   It was a massive undertaking.

Parts were gathered from primarily 4 sources:
- parts I had in my own collection already

- Bricklink (numerous sellers)

- Lego Bricks ****** Pieces
- Lego Pick-A-Brick online

I made extensive use of speadsheets to track the set inventories and my progress against them as well as price comparisons between sources.   There is no catch all rule on pricing.  Sometimes BL sellers are cheaper, sometimes TLG is cheaper.  Even within TLG, sometimes BnP is the better deal, sometimes PAB is better.   Very part dependant.

I was lucky to get the bulk of my orders done last year before TLG jacked up some pricing in their PAB system (even on basic parts like 1x6 and 1x8 bricks).   And I also managed to get the slotted sand green bricks for much less a year ago than what they are selling for now.

All told I believe I spent somewhere in the neighborhood of ~$1200 CDN combined to make all three of those modulars (MS, CC  & GG).  Definately way more than original MSRP, but still cheaper than buying those sets at market value, even used.

I imagine it would cost even more to do now.

I undertook this project about this time last year.   I ended up piece-mealing all three (CC, MS & GG) together to try and consolidate parts orders as much as possible.   It was a massive undertaking.

Parts were gathered from primarily 4 sources:

- parts I had in my own collection already

- Bricklink (numerous sellers)

- Lego Bricks ****** Pieces

- Lego Pick-A-Brick online

I made extensive use of speadsheets to track the set inventories and my progress against them as well as price comparisons between sources.   There is no catch all rule on pricing.  Sometimes BL sellers are cheaper, sometimes TLG is cheaper.  Even within TLG, sometimes BnP is the better deal, sometimes PAB is better.   Very part dependant.

I was lucky to get the bulk of my orders done last year before TLG jacked up some pricing in their PAB system (even on basic parts like 1x6 and 1x8 bricks).   And I also managed to get the slotted sand green bricks for much less a year ago than what they are selling for now.

All told I believe I spent somewhere in the neighborhood of ~$1200 CDN combined to make all three of those modulars (MS, CC  & GG).  Definately way more than original MSRP, but still cheaper than buying those sets at market value, even used.

I imagine it would cost even more to do now.

I went through the same process as you lzane but I started later (October). Some of the pieces I wanted were no longer available except at a price I was not willing to pay through BL. If some of the pieces became available again, I would pick them up because I kept track of the substitutions through the extensive spreadsheet system you mentioned :)

I've just finished putting together a Cafe corner from bricklink, but it's more about the fun of actually building it for me so I really didn't mind changing big sets of colours to get the price down as much as I could. I changed the dark blue bricks on the first floor to red and the dark red roof tiles to black along with the other smaller dark red bricks that make up the roof.

I'm curious to know if any of you guys would actually be willing to buy sets like this with different colours if they were much cheaper so you could actually build it, or is not having the original colours too much of a deal breaker.

I think my cafe corner came to approx $350-$400 which is much less than the $600-$700 they're going for used.

• 2 weeks later...

So I started my MS 10190 build last night, figured with this weather can't do much else. All of my orders were in and I broke down 3 Seaside Houses. I am doing this with no substitutions and 100% new with the exception of used 4X white Hoses and Used Right LBG door, those 5 parts saved me $85. So far my cost including shipping has been $360 using Lego Bricks and Pieces and BL.

So I sort everything last night and start the build and of course I am missing some pieces. I used rebrickable to see what I had on hand that is how I figured to use the seaside houses since they contain 36% of the parts. First it was a tan 1x8 brick 3008 and I looked it up and saw it was in Jabbas Sail Barge and creative Tower but not opening one of those for 1 brick so I substituted 2 1X4 and it will be easy to replace so I built on. Then I started missing pieces that I knew I had on hand just couldn't recall where. There are 18 pieces used from Death Star Troopers battle pack and I know I have many of those opened to part out the figs.

So when I go into rebrickable part out 10190 select an element and the sets it is in Death Star troopers does not show up. But if I do the same in reverse the parts are there. Not sure if that makes sense to you. Next I was missing Trans Clear Minifig heads 3626b that are used in the street light that I know I also have on hand, also the LBG 1x6 Arch 3455. So I will hopefully only have to make one more order.

My question is there another way I should be searching for what sets an element is in? Any tips appreciated.

• Like 1