75093 - Death Star Final Duel

KShine

The playsets tend to have a slower growth rate than the vehicles.  Just looking at some of the recent examples - Duel on Geonosis, Palpatines Arrest, and even the Cantina have shown a slower growth rate, than some vehicles that were released during the same time that retired.  Looking back, it was better to stock your money in Gunships, than to buy an equivalent amount of Duel on Geonosis, even if it has a very well done Count Dooku figure.  Same can be said of Palpatines Arrest - a great set with awesome figures, but for some reason, the money would have been better put in X-wings back then.  Last year, Cantina's haven't shown the same growth rate as AT-AT's and ISD's. 

So, I'd suspect something similar here.  The IST will more than likely grow faster than the Final Duel's, and while I think investing in a few is a good bet, I think it will just be a moderate investment with very slowth growth.  It will eventually double, but other sets will double much quicker.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2016 at 9:53 AM, fossilrock said:

Last year, Cantina's haven't shown the same growth rate as AT-AT's and ISD's. 

ISD's are going up in value?  really?  ISD is a bigger dud than the cantina but otherwise i completely agree that the vehicles are worth the investment money.  not sure why ISD is such an investment turd.

Amazon price history chart for LEGO Star Wars 75055 Imperial Star Destroyer Building Toy (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (B00J4S962W)\

Death Star Final Duels are not selling by me at $59 though so hopefully walmart does some further markdowns.  

Edited by cladner

50 minutes ago, cladner said:

not sure why ISD is such an investment turd.  

ISD has done very well for me. The Star Wars theme is a revolving door these days. If you buy Final Duel cheap enough there is money to be made. Just be sure you get out prior to word of the next one getting leaked. TLG is printing way too many SW sets for my liking. It is going to be a rare set that dodges a rehash and mass hoarding. I feel much better gambling on a well done set from a one and done theme.

• Like 1

ISD is the best performing SW playset retired last year in Europe and by a good margin. DSD will likely not do well as we have seen that battle scenes are not as popular. It does, however, have those strong minifigs and if bought at a good discount won´t disappoint.

• Like 1

Final duel has been discounted here by 20% for as long as I can remember, however I think it will do OK. I do have a few concerns as I personally think cantina is the better set in comparison and it hasn't performed that great. I was struggling to shift some of my stock so ended up splitting the sets and selling off the minifigs individually. I can see me doing something similar with this set, strong minifigs and a low by in may save it. Vader alone sales for about £25 on eBay alone which is a deal breaker, but this is only until an updated version appears in a new set.

• Like 1

Couple of things that usually bug AFOLS about playsets is 1) key characters missing and 2) too small/doesn't capture the entire scene its trying to replicate.

This one knocks both those on the head.  I know I've preached it before but as a playset this entirely captures the entire scene/lightsabre battle pretty well - heck its even got handcuffs for luke.  
When its gets put on sale at £45 (~35% off) its wiped clean pretty quickly in the UK.  Without a literal remake no other set (ok lets ignore the up coming DS) should include these figs in one pack.  I think once this wave is done its going to be some time before we get a ROTJ selection again as they cycle through the films.

I still think the Cantina is a better set but as a small display piece this one is great.  And with the figure selection IMO this catches up to cantina prices pretty quickly.
With Vader in the new "tie vs A-wing" set this one does lose some of its luster.  If we don't get any royal guards in the next rogue one wave then they're an added bonus to this one too.  

But as with a lot of sets now a-days whether its a dud or not depends on your buy in and I'd only get this one at >30% off (although for a personal one I'd say just buy it :))

• Like 5

5 hours ago, GiliusThunderhead said:

Couple of things that usually bug AFOLS about playsets is 1) key characters missing and 2) too small/doesn't capture the entire scene its trying to replicate.

This one knocks both those on the head.  I know I've preached it before but as a playset this entirely captures the entire scene/lightsabre battle pretty well - heck its even got handcuffs for luke.  
When its gets put on sale at £45 (~35% off) its wiped clean pretty quickly in the UK.  Without a literal remake no other set (ok lets ignore the up coming DS) should include these figs in one pack.  I think once this wave is done its going to be some time before we get a ROTJ selection again as they cycle through the films.

I still think the Cantina is a better set but as a small display piece this one is great.  And with the figure selection IMO this catches up to cantina prices pretty quickly.
With Vader in the new "tie vs A-wing" set this one does lose some of its luster.  If we don't get any royal guards in the next rogue one wave then they're an added bonus to this one too.  

But as with a lot of sets now a-days whether its a dud or not depends on your buy in and I'd only get this one at >30% off (although for a personal one I'd say just buy it :))

Like the Cantina, if you aren't buying at 50% off, you're not going to make a lot of money in the first couple years.  Those that bought the cantinas in the 40's last year, will do well selling it this holiday season, and may double their money.  If you are buying at RRP, forget it!  It will take 3 years after it's EOL to see a good return.  Right now, if you bought Cantinas at 69.99, well, you're not going to make much at the current prices.  

This final duel set is one set, I have only seen at 50% off once, and the box was destroyed and partially opened that I passed.  I just find that vehicles are much better sales generators than playsets.  This year, for example, I've skipped buying the Battle of Takodanas at discount and instead, put my money in the transporter sets.  I'm kind of at the point where I have enough sets in storage, and now i'm going by what I think will double or even triple my money the quickest.  

Cladner, you could buy the ISD's around 85 last holiday season with discounts and cards, and I picked up my stock around that point.  I picked up Cantina's in the 45 to 50ish.   Right now the ISD's are an easy double, while the cantina's are almost a double.  After the holiday season, I think we will have to see which one fairs better. I'd bet on the ISD's if there is no remake next year, and judging from the 2017 winter wave list, I think we are safe on an ISD or At-At remake until the summer, at the very least.

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Val-E said:

According to Brickset, EU Shop will have this at 50% off if you buy it with the new Death Star before 31st October. That would seemto suggest that a) this set is retiring b; they are desperate to ramp up 75159 sales.

Interesting if true.  Just a larger scene from one already included in the DS and its not like it adds any missing minifigs to 75159.  Don't get me wrong - I think 75093 is a great set but kind of superfluous if you're getting the DS so really just acts as a discount if you sold this on.

Surprised to see they're already adding incentives.  Back to 75093 could also mean a couple of things.  Slow seller so its a way of shifting more units.  Or extended production run as TLG produces a few more to cover said promotion.

Either way it would seem like non-positive news for the secondary market of this set once it retires (both of the above could imply a lingering shelf life post EOL).  I know historically play sets have unperformed ships in the SW universe but this is one of my favorite sets to date and as i've said before doesn't suffer from the lack of complete scene its trying to represent/missing key figs.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This set is a tough one to judge how will it will do.

On the one side it is a very good representation and accurate scene from iconic scene in film. Good selection of minifigs and the set has some nice play features.

It is a good alternative for people who can't afford death star, and it is unlikely to be redone soon.

However it isn't such an iconic set that everyone must have such as an xwing or slave 1. It is also a playset.

The one good thing before the recent 50% sales was that this set didn't go on sale as much as other star wars sets like Poe's X-Wing at constant 40% off. The most this set went on sale was 25% off and on some rare occasions amazon did 35% for very short periods.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...