Amazon.ca 20% off some good sets

bricketycricket

No go on the trains but works well on other sets.  Note that you may need to close your browser, or even run CCcleaner to clear the cache between uses of the code.  Picked up some 60075 Excavator and Truck sets ($42.91 CDN after tax), 75002 AT-RT that is sold out on the Lego site and the 75040 Grevious Wheel bike.  Combo the last two at $38.51 for both with tax. 

Didn't want to put this in the Target thread (which also touched on TRU's sale), and not deserving of it's own thread.

7965 can still be found at some TRU stores, and can confirm it is %20 off. However that is off the $200 price tag markup. It's still lower than retail with the discount though for anyone who wants to pick some up.

Cineplexholiday does not apply to sale items so don't bother. If amazon.ca price match, you buy from amazon with your rewwrds card giving you points. Also 2% cash rebates on top of that.

In this case it did.  I got the 20% price and then $10 off of the order total before tax.  

Cineplexholiday does not apply to sale items so don't bother. If amazon.ca price match, you buy from amazon with your rewwrds card giving you points. Also 2% cash rebates on top of that.

It definitely does - I've placed ten orders thus far, and once they ship will place quite a few more. It doesn't work on everything, but plenty of the sale sets worked with the coupon for me.

• Like 1

It definitely does - I've placed ten orders thus far, and once they ship will place quite a few more. It doesn't work on everything, but plenty of the sale sets worked with the coupon for me.

Worked for me too... It seems the only sets its not working for are the trains otherwise it seems to work for just about everything else city and Star Wars.

I ran into a strange scenario where the code wasn't working and had to use a different browser (chrome) no matter what I did in Firefox. The latest update of FF is a piece of garbage though.

• Like 1

Worked for me too... It seems the only sets its not working for are the trains otherwise it seems to work for just about everything else city and Star Wars.

I ran into a strange scenario where the code wasn't working and had to use a different browser (chrome) no matter what I did in Firefox. The latest update of FF is a piece of garbage though.

It also works on the Masterpiece Transformers and SW Black Series. Prowl is OOS and Optimus Prime Year of the Horse (glad I got more, good selling price on ebay) is OOS but Starscream I think is still a good buy with the code. In SW Black series the Cantina set and Endor set are pretty solid. I only dabble in non-Lego stuff, but these are a couple things I've been keeping my eye on that I think can do well in the future if bought at a good discount (like now).

Didn't want to put this in the Target thread (which also touched on TRU's sale), and not deserving of it's own thread.

7965 can still be found at some TRU stores, and can confirm it is %20 off. However that is off the $200 price tag markup. It's still lower than retail with the discount though for anyone who wants to pick some up.

I'll ask it here since we didn't post a new thread for it... Does anyone have the productId for 7965? I.e. for the link to the old product page?...  http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=ABCDEFG ?

Would the productid be on a receipt from TRU by chance? if so i think i have one at home i can check.

Nope.. just compared a receipt I had with the web pages (both US and Canada). There appears to be 5 different numbers for each item:

1) SKN Number

2) Product UID

3) UPC/EAN/ISBN

4) Manufacturer #

5) productId <web>

The SKN Number is what is printed on the receipt. Oh and none of them have any part of the lego set # so I guess that makes at least 6 different ways to identify a product when it comes to Lego. :)

Thanks... I've been trying the wayback machine, but it seems to index so many pages on the TRU site that it's pretty painful.

Question on the TRU deal.  You can get a maximum discount by buying 2 sets at $10.37 and 1 at $19.97.   With the $10 off $40 it is 40% off the Canadian MSRP, which is about the Ebay selling price in US dollars.  So these would be to hold but is there much point to holding on to the small sets like this that are regular issue?  Or is it just a nice buy to build and compliment other sets?

Question on the TRU deal.  You can get a maximum discount by buying 2 sets at $10.37 and 1 at $19.97.   With the $10 off $40 it is 40% off the Canadian MSRP, which is about the Ebay selling price in US dollars.  So these would be to hold but is there much point to holding on to the small sets like this that are regular issue?  Or is it just a nice buy to build and compliment other sets?

Really depends on the set.

I don't know which you have purchased, but since you got them from TRU they are likely still available at retail elsewhere and might be hard to predict their future at this time. Some small sets do extremely well, others not so much as it is hard to justify the shipping cost on a $10-20 set when you turn around to sell it.

All in all though %40 is a good price to get most sets at, and even if the set is a dud you may still be ok at that discount. And %40 for personal use is great!

It all depends on what you are buying and why. Those $19.97 sets are most definitely a long term hold... with a substantial amount of risk that they don't appreciate far enough to cover the fees and cost of buying & holding. Those $10.37 sets _may_ be less risk if they are the Star Wars Microfighters but they've been lingering on the shelves at TRU for ages so they carry risk too.

For myself...

$19.97 on the first set, after taking it's share of the $10 off is - $14.97 + 13% tax = $16,91. That means I have to sell it for approximately $20.50 + shipping on eBay to make any money (12% fees on cost of item and cost of shipping - $12). I'd expect at least a 50% return which means I have to sell for $28 + shipping on eBay.... Who's going to buy from you at those prices when TRU sells them for $24.95 + $4 shipping on eBay? And we know they buy boatloads and seem to never run out.... I don't risk it on those $20 city sets.

For the microfighters, there is a slightly more potential if you're willing to buy and hold until this Xmas. They've essentially disappeared from the US so there is a potential market given the strong US dollar... If I buy 3x4=12 to make 2 lots of 6, it would set me back approx $60 for a set of 6. The boxes are small so shipping should be $20ish to the US, $14ish in Canada. When you slap fees on, you need to sell them for $70 + shipping just to break even. Using my desired 50% rule, they need to sell for $105 for a set of 6. You won't get that in Canada. You might get some cross border traffic at $125 shipped but not likely just yet.

<and if the 10.37 sets aren't star wars, run away, far away>

But like Sandwraith said.. its so hard to predict. Selling locally down the road you might do ok. Selling on eBay might be harder. Brick Classifieds is still a tough sell - I'm not sure how many Canadian "consumers" are aware of it so you're still competing with mostly US buyers. At least most canucks know about ebay.ca. :)

For personal use, it's an excellent deal.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick and informative input.  I do shipping runs to the US, so I can ship the small ones as cheaply as anyone, so that helps.  The microfighters are available and what I was thinking of point taken -> "<and if the 10.37 sets aren't star wars, run away, far away>". 

This quick dash of cold water in the face has me backing away from buying just because of the discount.  I may buy some for nephews and nieces as stocking stuffers.

I mainly got the bit bigger 60075 Excavator and Truck, which has a decent price on Ebay right now that easily supports more than the net discount price.  I like these for Christmas sales as well.

Some valid points above, but I see a couple of the City sets at MSRP 24.99 and $39.99 doing alright in the future. There are a couple of interesting vehicles that likely won't get remade at any point in the near future (if at all) so they look to be good buy ins. A couple are also already sold out at S&**** or OOS (and likely on their last legs) so although other retailers have stock I think they are decent buys. I've had some success with smaller CITY sets if they are unique or if I've gotten them cheap enough.

For newer sets, the train station is a pretty good deal.

As for SW - I like the Cantina especially at this price. It isn't as close to EOL as the CITY sets I've targeted (got shipping confirmation on all my orders, so the code does work as long as you keep clearing your cache, and they haven't banned me or cancelled orders for using the code too much) but it is OT and with Target gone I don't know if any other retailer is going to have it for 30% plus off.

• Like 1

Cantina and ATAT isn't bad at the %20 + $10 coupon.

With Target gone and WM.ca already clearing out the ATAT, chances of getting this at a "good" discount looks to be limited. TRU will have no problem selling these out when it's time comes, and likely will not be clearanced here.

Walmart in store will be the other other place to potentially get it at a good deal. WM's clearances and stock is spotty though. And rumours of a UCS ATAT have made me hold of on this one.

Strangely the Cantina is not listed on WM.ca... really wish i got these when i saw a price tag of $50 but no stock a few weeks ago :(

Cantina and ATAT isn't bad at the %20 + $10 coupon.

With Target gone and WM.ca already clearing out the ATAT, chances of getting this at a "good" discount looks to be limited. TRU will have no problem selling these out when it's time comes, and likely will not be clearanced here.

Walmart in store will be the other other place to potentially get it at a good deal. WM's clearances and stock is spotty though. And rumours of a UCS ATAT have made me hold of on this one.

Strangely the Cantina is not listed on WM.ca... really wish i got these when i saw a price tag of $50 but no stock a few weeks ago :(

I might be able to get Cantina for 50$ + tx, someone called me today bought this set at this price.. Since I already had mine didn't needed extra ! Have no idea if any will still be available tomorrow .. let me know if you need any,  would be my pleasure to help.. but you'll have to pay shipping . Thanks

I might be able to get Cantina for 50$ + tx, someone called me today bought this set at this price.. Since I already had mine didn't needed extra ! Have no idea if any will still be available tomorrow .. let me know if you need any,  would be my pleasure to help.. but you'll have to pay shipping . Thanks

I really could use some at that price!

But it would be for parts for the BrickOwl/BrickLink store, meaning I would preferably need at least 6 of them... :) Of course, that's most likely not the intent of your offer. Either way, you should really grab every Cantina you can at $50, and I can buy the extras from you if you want.

• Like 1

I really could use some at that price!

But it would be for parts for the BrickOwl/BrickLink store, meaning I would preferably need at least 6 of them... :) Of course, that's most likely not the intent of your offer. Either way, you should really grab every Cantina you can at $50, and I can buy the extras from you if you want.

You have mail! .. hope your were in for real !

• Like 1