Ready to punt my Dymo 4XL through a window

nolanfan34

I have a Dymo LabelWriter 4XL I recently bought in a #treatyoself moment. I am now ready to punt it through my office window, as I can't get it to stop from printing a billion labels every time I print from Amazon. Has anyone else had this issue?

Frustrating thing is I have followed the support steps, read the forums, set up my printer preferences, etc, and for a few times it worked perfectly. It also works correctly when printing from eBay. But the last couple of times on Amazon it will just keep printing labels endlessly.

I think it might be a Java issue related to how it is spooling to print. Anyone have any ideas?

Yes, I have searched online and read a few forums (including Amazon's seller forums) and no one seems to have a good answer.

Word.  Use clear packing tape over the label including the bar code.  Thousands of shipments later no shipping problems even though they suggest you do not tape over the barcodes.

I don't know if I read it here or somewhere else, but someone suggested to tape over half the barcode to protect half of it and leave the other half out to scan if they're having trouble.

• Like 1

I don't know if I read it here or somewhere else, but someone suggested to tape over half the barcode to protect half of it and leave the other half out to scan if they're having trouble.

I've taped over the barcode (single layer) this entire time and have never had issues.

I graduated to self adhesive labels.

My wife's company has a limited personal use policy on printer paper, so I am deterred from going in this direction.

There's unconventional, cheap, old school or whatever you want to call it lol and then there's guys giving away these labels on ebay for 1.5 cents to 2 cents per label delivered

Can't see how a sheet of paper and tape is cheaper than 1.5-2 pennies a label but as we say to each his own

I went about 10 years and gave in.  Shoot I remember the old little Pitney Bowes postage machine you stuck the bubble mailer in and it put postage on for you.  

Before that stamps in all sorts of combinations for the mailers lol.

• Like 1

Hmm...

I had also upgraded at some point to the 2 labels on 8x11" sheets as I dreaded dealing with tape.

I also use a laser printer so there's no ink bleeding, but I'm really curious about the LP2844 now.

If eBay's shipping labels print well on those, that'd be even more ideal (no cutting labels down, no ink/toner).

My luck with past specialty scanners & printers are I'll buy it and then there won't be drivers for Windows 10.

Guest TabbyBoy

I use an IER 506 boarding pass printer discarded after an airline merger. I just reprogrammed it to use a roll of 4" x 3" adhesive cargo labels instead of boarding pass stock and it's fantastic. It writes to USB001 witbout a Windows or OSX driver using a built in font. All I do is just copy/paste the buyer's address and click print from a macro that I created in MS Access which is also my customer database and accounts database for profit/loss reports. My inventory is also on it now and I no longer use Excel. I just need to work on a way for it to parse online receipts to update my inventory automatically. If I had the time to tart it up and to fine tune it, I'd eventually sell this also to fellow eBayers

Well, I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone, I don't own a smartphone either.  I have a work phone, locked down. I can receive texts, no pictures. :)

I'm scratching my head wondering what you're doing on the internet. ;) How did you figure out the computer wasn't just a handy typewriter/calculator combo?

• Like 5

Back on topic...I use my 4XL on Amazon (and PayPal and eBay) but only from Chrome. I had issues printing from IE (haven't tried FireFox). Have you tried using a different browser?

Also, you *can* print your label using Stamps.com or another postage service and then use the "confirm shipping" function instead of buying through Amazon. A little more time consuming but perhaps less frustrating than watching the 4XL spaz out? Although that won't work if you use UPS/FedEx.

I do not miss buying ink and am more than happy to leave my store scissors languishing in the drawer. I also go through roughly 40% as much tape. About 70% of my orders go out in 7x5 bubble mailers and taping labels to those things is awful. If I hadn't gotten my 4XL a year ago, I may have folded up shop after this season.

Hmm...

I had also upgraded at some point to the 2 labels on 8x11" sheets as I dreaded dealing with tape.

I also use a laser printer so there's no ink bleeding, but I'm really curious about the LP2844 now.

If eBay's shipping labels print well on those, that'd be even more ideal (no cutting labels down, no ink/toner).

My luck with past specialty scanners & printers are I'll buy it and then there won't be drivers for Windows 10.

LP2844 is a good value thermal printer. Be warned you won't be able to print fedex labels directly thru ebay with it tho. You will need to either have your own fedex account setup and use Shiprush or print directly thru fedex.com. We have noticed since Fedex moved to dim pricing if you use your own account they stick you for increased shipping costs if your box is over the size you input but when buying thru ebay there is no extra cost. Our guess is ebay does not pay dim pricing but is using the dim calculator to skim money off the top like they do with their USPS labels. USPS works great directly thru ebay with it tho. Not sure about UPS thru paypal as we don't use UPS. I always see folks mentioning the price of peel and stick lables but fedex gives them away for free in all sizes so not sure why anyone is paying for them at all. Free is free.

LP2844 is a good value thermal printer. Be warned you won't be able to print fedex labels directly thru ebay with it tho. You will need to either have your own fedex account setup and use Shiprush or print directly thru fedex.com. We have noticed since Fedex moved to dim pricing if you use your own account they stick you for increased shipping costs if your box is over the size you input but when buying thru ebay there is no extra cost. Our guess is ebay does not pay dim pricing but is using the dim calculator to skim money off the top like they do with their USPS labels. USPS works great directly thru ebay with it tho. Not sure about UPS thru paypal as we don't use UPS. I always see folks mentioning the price of peel and stick lables but fedex gives them away for free in all sizes so not sure why anyone is paying for them at all. Free is free.

I'm still printing off of an inkjet from my office, but for the labels from FedEx are those for FedEx use only?