Ready to punt my Dymo 4XL through a window

nolanfan34

No helpful advice on the 4xl.  I've heard from others that have had random frustration and issues with them.

My suggestion would be to throw it out the window and get a 450 turbo for dedicated product labels and an lp2844 for dedicated shipping labels.

450 can be found for $60 on sale.  LP2844 can be had under $100 from ebay.

+1 for the 450 Turbo, since finding the api & VB.net modules on their website, it was a snap to write a simple script for one-click output directly from the Bricklink order screen for address labels.

I'm still printing off of an inkjet from my office, but for the labels from FedEx are those for FedEx use only?

You can use them however you want. Fedex laser labels 800 to a case shipped free to your doorstep.  They are plain white. I would go with laser over inkjet as inkjet could run/smear if the label gets wet. Laser tends to wear off when the packages rub each other but not too bad. Thermal is king.

My wife's company has a limited personal use policy on printer paper, so I am deterred from going in this direction.

yea, mine too, federal gubberment, I think the rule is "if you can't fit it in your briefcase you're not allowed to take it home with you"... unless maybe you stay past 3pm on a Friday afternoon when there's no one else around to take notice... & after putting in a full day since 10am it's not like anyone would ever really stay that late! ;-)

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

I'm not familiar with this printer but, make sure that bi-directional printing is turned off as the printer should just be a read-only device anyway.  For example in Windows:

post-10054-0-26983900-1424447591.jpg

This solved a lot of issues with HP laser printers in the past and some on-demand label printers.

For printing labels now (my boarding pass printer just died!). I just use A5 paper, fold in half and stuff it into an A6 "Documents Enclosed" envelope.  The address being on the top half before the the fold and the "Thank your for your purchase, bla bla bla.... " on the bottom half.  Dirt cheap and looks the part.

Edited by TabbyBoy