Brickfolio and Price Guide FAQs (Site Update)

Jeff is working on it along with many other things.  I think some folks need to remember, our owners & mods have lives outside of brickpicker. we have spouses, kids , regular jobs,  houses, etc...    this is also a free web site, so jeff and ed don't have hired workers "standing ready to go" to work on items when they can't.

That's why folks should use the brickfolio export feature often.  The good news is that no data is lost.  It's all there. Just give Jeff as much time as he needs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 3 years later...

We've been reading about this site overhaul for some time now. I'm curious if there's any sort of place where feedback about how things operate has been left, or feature requests have been submitted? Is there any sort of info on what types of features are being implemented? I can think of at least a handful of features that would be seemingly easy to implement that would really enhance it as a reporting tool! I would kick myself to see the new version released without these features as a result of oversight, particularly if I've had an opportunity to suggest them for months! 

So is there any info cache on what's coming down the pipe with this overhaul? I've gathered we'll have the ability to split Personal from Investment, which is a huge win.... but I don't think I've read anything else concrete. Would love to have the opportunity to see the list of To-Dos and have an opportunity for some user input! If there's any plan to have some sort of Beta running before it goes live, I'd love to get in on the guinea pig action for that too! 

Cheers @Jeff Mack :)

We've been reading about this site overhaul for some time now. I'm curious if there's any sort of place where feedback about how things operate has been left, or feature requests have been submitted? Is there any sort of info on what types of features are being implemented? I can think of at least a handful of features that would be seemingly easy to implement that would really enhance it as a reporting tool! I would kick myself to see the new version released without these features as a result of oversight, particularly if I've had an opportunity to suggest them for months! 

So is there any info cache on what's coming down the pipe with this overhaul? I've gathered we'll have the ability to split Personal from Investment, which is a huge win.... but I don't think I've read anything else concrete. Would love to have the opportunity to see the list of To-Dos and have an opportunity for some user input! If there's any plan to have some sort of Beta running before it goes live, I'd love to get in on the guinea pig action for that too! 

Cheers [mention=1]Jeff Mack[/mention]

Why don't you just PM Jeff with all of your ideas and concerns?

'Cause I wasn't sure if a thread or place existed already! And group thought is often useful, elaborations on one member's idea from another etc.  If I just PM him direct nobody else has a chance for brainstorming or thoughtful input. 

On the other hand, a project like a website is much like art, in that it's never truly "done"....always some extra thing you can add. I suppose having a thread could lead to an infinite to-do list, which could be a negative overall. But some great ideas might come out of it. 

Edit: Ninja'd by the man himself

I guess to elaborate my idea a little further... I've done some beta testing on a few 3rd party map editing tools for gaming. One particular dev group I worked with had a nice little Features Request and Bug Tracker form. The user could submit the idea under a preset list of categories, it would then show up in the list of Feature Requests, and then the Devs could comment on them, approve/deny them, mark them as completed etc. 

They openly wanted that community and tester input though. I can't tell if you're feeling the same way and just haven't openly promoted it, or if you find it's easier to just keep your head down and execute the plan without interference. What'cha'say? 

Edited by Zelgazra

31 minutes ago, Zelgazra said:

They openly wanted that community and tester input though. I can't tell if you're feeling the same way and just haven't openly promoted it, or if you find it's easier to just keep your head down and execute the plan without interference. What'cha'say? 

I believe that the open discussion aspect has shown to be more than a bit frustrating. Ed/Jeff have certainly often tried to give the people what they want, but unfortunately, the masses only seem to desperately want/need something until they get it.

Countless changes have been made on the site, in response to requests that seemed to be in high demand, yet somehow once implemented (after a lot of effort on their part), people then fail to actively participate. There's no good explanation for this, but unfortunately, that seems to be what happens.

Jeff appreciates constructive input. Kshine said it better than I could. People want this and that and when they get it, nobody uses it. Any website is a work in progress and this update won't be the last. But one thing could affect another so it's not always so easy to implement.

There are many ideas we would like to implement, but with anything, it's time and money. Jeff spends all his spare time working on this stuff and even farms some of it out, but new development also costs money and this site has limited money to work with.

Believe me, people on this site have more access and say then any site that I know of. Jeff is on the site all the time, reads most of the posts. If people have an issue or an idea, he will listen. A person might not like the response, but at least he will respond. Good ideas won't be ignored. They might not be able to be used immediately, but you never know. Hell, the whole CAGR idea was one of the members recommendations.

1 hour ago, Zelgazra said:

'Cause I wasn't sure if a thread or place existed already! And group thought is often useful, elaborations on one member's idea from another etc.  If I just PM him direct nobody else has a chance for brainstorming or thoughtful input. 

This thread has been here since the beginning of time and has always been used for site feedback.  You can always just post here. But to make you happy, I just created this.  I am sure no one will use it, will be shocked if they do, but you can post your ideas, vote on them and then it will actually become a Road Map so you can see the progress of it. 

https://brickpicker.ideas.aha.io/

In the end, Ed and I are always available.  A simple PM or email to [email protected] is all you need to do to send your requests and I will talk to you about it.  I am not promising any deadlines, that would be foolish of me.

36 minutes ago, KShine said:

I believe that the open discussion aspect has shown to be more than a bit frustrating. Ed/Jeff have certainly often tried to give the people what they want, but unfortunately, the masses only seem to desperately want/need something until they get it.

Countless changes have been made on the site, in response to requests that seemed to be in high demand, yet somehow once implemented (after a lot of effort on their part), people then fail to actively participate. There's no good explanation for this, but unfortunately, that seems to be what happens.

What you say is true.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jeff Mack said:

But to make you happy, I just created this.  I am sure no one will use it, will be shocked if they do, but you can post your ideas, vote on them and then it will actually become a Road Map so you can see the progress of it. 

Didn't know 3rd party services existed for this. Very slick, the Tracker I mentioned about had been set up manually (devs... just coded it I guess, in their nature) and wasn't nearly as slick! 

I've submitted 2 ideas I've had on my mind for a while. Is there any chance you'd take the time to submit the key features you're actively working on for this overhaul? I realize that would be time away from actually working on the overhaul.... but it would also outline what your own road map is looking like, and prevent redundant idea requests. For example, my 2 ideas submitted.... If we get a Personal/Investment split, it would be great to be able to apply that filter and get my requested results for Just Used, or Just NISB. I'm not going to submit that though, cause I have no idea what your vision for the split is going to look like. 

The key for a tool like this taking off is to plug it unceremoniously at every opportunity until people know it's there. There's lots of cool features and tools on this site that aren't blatantly obvious and intuitive, and I don't think I've seen any sort of list of where all these various features are outlined. You just have to sort of stumble across them... like all the filters you can run for personalizing your forum experience... if you dig through settings you might figure it out, but if you never go to your settings you won't know it exists at all! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/11/2017 at 8:22 AM, t12ung said:

https://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=75882-1

Attention!

This set is currently not in our database. Support has been notified and we will look at add it soon.

Are the site admins getting these notifications?

Fixed

On 4/13/2017 at 8:46 AM, TANV said:

21030 US Capitol Building shows up as {US Landmark} at the moment. Just a minor typo.

Fixed

20 hours ago, CrabslayerT said:

Any word on an update?

Ran it, but still need to review

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sprocket77 said:

Hey Jeff, just wondering what the story is with the Doctor Strange set, it's never had a Brickfolio value assigned to it, is it just that bad a seller?

57 minutes ago, Val-E said:

My values look ok except for:

40220 London Bus no values

40228 Geoffrey no values

76060 dr strange no values.

These have been updated.  I still need to run my comparison scripts to look for big gains or drops.  Always important in this day of lepin,copy,compatible Lego sets.