Brickfolio and Price Guide FAQs (Site Update)

Jeff is working on it along with many other things.  I think some folks need to remember, our owners & mods have lives outside of brickpicker. we have spouses, kids , regular jobs,  houses, etc...    this is also a free web site, so jeff and ed don't have hired workers "standing ready to go" to work on items when they can't.

That's why folks should use the brickfolio export feature often.  The good news is that no data is lost.  It's all there. Just give Jeff as much time as he needs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 6 years later...

Is it just me, but the main reason this site pulled in so many people was the price guide.  It's it's bread and butter.  Shouldn't this be a priority to complete especially so close to the main lego selling season?  I understand cool things are on the way, but this is a time sensitive endeavor.  I also understand how to price on ebay, but shouldn't the admin's be worried that people are now actively pushing people to other websites for the data they come here for?

Enhancements are nice, but the bread and butter of this site is that sales data, it should be 1st priority every month IMOP.

Is it just me, but the main reason this site pulled in so many people was the price guide.  It's it's bread and butter.  Shouldn't this be a priority to complete especially so close to the main lego selling season?  I understand cool things are on the way, but this is a time sensitive endeavor.  I also understand how to price on ebay, but shouldn't the admin's be worried that people are now actively pushing people to other websites for the data they come here for?

Enhancements are nice, but the bread and butter of this site is that sales data, it should be 1st priority every month IMOP.

You say that people are going to other websites that offer the same info they get here. What websites are you talking about? I would think that we would have heard about a site doing the same job as BrickPicker. You are also speaking from a pretty narrow perspective. There are tons of things that the Admin are planning to do, which have been on the backburner. Now that it's finally priority, then they are going to focus on it.

That's a doozy of a first post.  Complaining about a free service provided at the time and expense of the two admins? 

Like stephen alluded earlier in the post, the site admins Jeff and Ed give greatly of their own time and money to run and develop this site and have never asked for a dime from the community.  The eBay Terrapeak data costs a lot of money, yet they don't ask for subscription money.  Both have full time jobs outside of this site, so their time to run the site is limited.  And with Eurpoean, British and Australian values now added to the US eBay pricing, the job of updating the information is now four times the work.

Add in the new Brick Classifieds module that the admins are working on feverishly, and I hope you understand the reasons the monthly update may be a bi-monthly update for the next few months.  Or perhaps into perpetuity?  That's up to them. 

I would be surprised if there was another website that provides investors with the depth of content and specific features this one does, so I'm not sure I'm buying the argument that there's an easy replacement, and hundreds of investors are abandoning the site.  Maybe I'm wrong.

• Like 2

That's a doozy of a first post.  Complaining about a free service provided at the time and expense of the two admins? 

Like stephen alluded earlier in the post, the site admins Jeff and Ed give greatly of their own time and money to run and develop this site and have never asked for a dime from the community.  The eBay Terrapeak data costs a lot of money, yet they don't ask for subscription money.  Both have full time jobs outside of this site, so their time to run the site is limited.  And with Eurpoean, British and Australian values now added to the US eBay pricing, the job of updating the information is now four times the work.

Add in the new Brick Classifieds module that the admins are working on feverishly, and I hope you understand the reasons the monthly update may be a bi-monthly update for the next few months.  Or perhaps into perpetuity?  That's up to them. 

I would be surprised if there was another website that provides investors with the depth of content and specific features this one does, so I'm not sure I'm buying the argument that there's an easy replacement, and hundreds of investors are abandoning the site.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Totally agree, I haven't paid a penny for the help and enjoyment I've extracted from this site and without wanting to sound like a general suckup I'd like to say  "Jolly well done to all involved" :thumbsu:

Cash is waiting of course, just let me know where to send the cheque.......

I think he was referring to strangeboy's post about eValuator being another tool for finding ebay data.

And I don't think he's complaining necessarily. He's right, the value guide is THE main attraction of this site to newcomers. I'm a close second B)

I'm not saying all the improvements should be secondary. And I understand the desire/necessity of expanding the site to appeal to a broader audience. But let's not forget the reason most of us found our way here in the first place. We wanna know what our collection is worth, and how much we should be paying to add to it.

Guest TabbyBoy

Hats off to Ed, Jeff & the admins as I know it's not easy to gather all this data and please everybody all of the time.  So far, I'm more than satisfied with what I've got out of this site.  Since I base my BIN prices on Amazon/eBay sales of the last few days rather than averages, I'm not too worried.

He's right, the value guide is THE main attraction of this site to newcomers. I'm a close second B)

Good one!  While I agree the value guide is an important and appealing aspect of the site, I guess I don't think one extra month's worth of wait is going to radically alter 90% of the brickfolios on the site or provide some insight a Brickpicker couldn't figure out in two minutes of checking eBay sales.  And I respectfully disagree that the Brickfolio tool is THE main attraction for newcomers.  My guess is the Deals threads is now the most valuable tool on the website, and Brick Classifieds has the potential to provide just as valuable of a service (if not moreso) to investors than any of the modules currently online.

...Shouldn't this be a priority to complete especially so close to the main lego selling season?  I understand cool things are on the way, but this is a time sensitive endeavor.  I also understand how to price on ebay, but shouldn't the admin's be worried that people are now actively pushing people to other websites for the data they come here for?

My issue with this is twofold:

#1 - I think telling the admins what their priorities should be is presumptuous, and frankly can sound disrespectful, especially from someone who has never made a post before.  I will always assume that someone with zero posts has little to no understanding of what it takes to make these monthly Brickfolio updates.  It's not a "point and click" operation.  That's why reading the preceding post got my dander up a little.  I will freely admit I may have had one too many cups of coffee this morning and that monthly updates are great.  I don't agree the development of Brick Classifieds and general site development should be preempted for an August update.  The know the Site Admins agree with me on this.

#2 - I strongly disagree the Brickfolio updates are time sensitive.  All recent set sales information is readily available on eBay, and most (if not all) serious investors do not need the Brickfolio to make decisions on when and what to sell.  Anyone that wants to know the value of their collection because it's fun to know doesn't have a time sensitive need in my opinion.   Anyone that needs real time information can export their Brickfolio to a data file and peform their own update.

I would love for these updates to occur in real time, but that's not realistic given the admins' available resources.  Jeff and Ed have already told the community they would be missing a few updates because of the development of Brick Classifieds, and it was generally met with approval/acceptance.  Personally, I think sacrificing a month of updates is completely reasonable given the potential of the module that many hope will be rolled out soon.

• Like 1

So my post was in response to others telling people to just use eBay and that other android app.  It's also in response to this site not meeting its own mission statement.  "The mission of BrickPicker.com is to educate the Lego enthusiast and collector of the most up to date and current prices of new and used Lego sets."

I think this site is brilliant and inventive and has a lot of potential (cudo's to the guys working on it).  I am also not naive to think that this is free because the real mission is to gather a commission of the new classified system and that's why it has taken priority.  I would love for them to make money so they have more resources to keep the site active and up to date.  However you can't lose your base audience by not keeping that data up to date.  They are advertising a product (the set values) that they are not providing.  I have noticed that as the set values are overdue longer and longer every month I have been a member.

No disrespect, just a call to their own mission statement.

Our Goal at Brickpicker.com

The mission of BrickPicker.com is to educate the Lego enthusiast and collector of the most up to date and current prices of new and used Lego sets.

Read more at http://www.brickpicker.com/mission-statement.cfm#mitFTE2xBaXFEGsE.99

The mission of BrickPicker.com is to educate the Lego enthusiast and collector of the most up to date and current prices of new and used Lego sets.

Read more at http://www.brickpicker.com/mission-statement.cfm#mitFTE2xBaXFEGsE.99

Yeah Im with you Quacs. No offense to a new poster and I want to encourage you to post more but a couple of things:

1. If you are solely using this price guide, you are set up to fail anyway. Its volatile as hell and can absolutely be wrong because of the way things are listed and reported on Ebay. Yes it is an awesome and epic tool, but your own eyes and judgement in a bunch of different places make way more sense.

2. I think a lot of people need to realize that this site is free meaning there is no obligation to anyone.

3. I can't believe I haven't paid once for Diabolos!

• Like 1

So my post was in response to others telling people to just use eBay and that other android app.  It's also in response to this site not meeting its own mission statement.  "The mission of BrickPicker.com is to educate the Lego enthusiast and collector of the most up to date and current prices of new and used Lego sets."

I think this site is brilliant and inventive and has a lot of potential (cudo's to the guys working on it).  I am also not naive to think that this is free because the real mission is to gather a commission of the new classified system and that's why it has taken priority.  I would love for them to make money so they have more resources to keep the site active and up to date.  However you can't lose your base audience by not keeping that data up to date.  They are advertising a product (the set values) that they are not providing.  I have noticed that as the set values are overdue longer and longer every month I have been a member.

No offense to you but I hate and take offense to anyone mentioning things like "this site has a lot of potential". The site is a success absolutely hands down right now. Its disrespectful to call things out in this manner, to refer to a site as "having potential" as in it is not already there.

FYI - the site is meeting its mission statement perfectly and I guarantee you has not lost one member from "not updating enough". If so, that person wasn't going to be pleased in the first place.

The majority of people here disagree with your points on the sites priorities - its been talked about before.

In the end - if you have a question about a price, market value, etc. just make a forum post. You will pretty much immediately get incredible amounts of information from people who know exactly what they are doing and can provide you the information free of charge.

I am also not naive to think that this is free because the real mission is to gather a commission of the new classified system and that's why it has taken priority.

And that's why the Site Admins have practically been giving away Brickpoints for any small contribution to the site that will be redeemable for BP listings?  Sorry, that doesn't compute.  You yourself will be able to make free listings with the 500 Brickpoints you "earned" by becoming a member.  Ed and Jeff have even stated the goal of Brick Classifieds (and the site itself) isn't to make money - it's to grow and cater to a community of Lego investors.  You may be cynical and not believe in the higher goals of the website, but I am fairly certain that Ed and Jeff have put WAY more money into this endeavor then they will likely ever got out of it.

I believe the reason Brick Classifieds has taken priority is because Ed and Jeff recognize a gap in the market and want to capitalize on it before someone else does. 

They are advertising a product (the set values) that they are not providing. I have noticed that as the set values are overdue longer and longer every month I have been a member.

As DNIIM said in a previous post, "educating the Lego enthusiast of the most up to date and current  prices of new and used Lego sets" is not the same as promising a monthly update to the Brickfolio.  I urge you to post any question you have regarding new and used Lego set pricing in the forum and watch the feedback come in almost immediately. 

Also, I think it's preposterous to believe "monthly" updates constitute "up to date and current pricing".  Seasoned investors knows these Brickpicker values are rules of thumb rather than a stock ticker since prices change daily.

Why do I have to have posted before to make a credible argument? I am using their own statement to judge their priorities not making them up or being presumptuous. If you think I am trying to attack them then you

Well, all points taken I still stand by my stance/opinion that they should be updating this feature first.  I am also seeing that I must be the straw that broke the camels back on this issue.  The backlash I got on this and your guys attack was vicious and abrupt for my initial comment to me were over the top.  Which is your right to say and take offense to what you want.  Especially if you think I was only out to attack and demand from the admins anything, which is not the case. 

I only wanted to express an opinion from the start.  I am pretty sure others do want to see this updated more frequently or prioritized differently.  My guess is that I am not in the minority and I am just willing to post it where most people were like me and just kept checking back every day but not posting.  I just really enjoy seeing that monthly updat on total value, it fun handy and for the most part makes me happy I only bought one Death Star.

Well, all points taken I still stand by my stance/opinion that they should be updating this feature first.  I am also seeing that I must be the straw that broke the camels back on this issue.  The backlash I got on this and your guys attack was vicious and abrupt for my initial comment to me were over the top.  Which is your right to say and take offense to what you want.  Especially if you think I was only out to attack and demand from the admins anything, which is not the case. 

I only wanted to express an opinion from the start.  I am pretty sure others do want to see this updated more frequently or prioritized differently.  My guess is that I am not in the minority and I am just willing to post it where most people were like me and just kept checking back every day but not posting.  I just really enjoy seeing that monthly updat on total value, it fun handy and for the most part makes me happy I only bought one Death Star.

I urge you to highlight these "over the top, vicious attacks" you accuse me, DNIIM and Huskers, and I will be happy to apologize if any have merit.  Otherwise, I suggest you stop trying to read tone in a forum post and try to understand the intent behnd our responses.

*EDIT* Better yet, send us a PM so we don't have bother the rest of the site with this if you feel you were treated unfairly.

It's hard not to be salty when posts and opinions are picked apart.  I will rescind the word vicious and replace it with meticulous.  I also got the intent, clearly your hear to help, but you would prefer noone ask about the updates any more. 

I am not going to go into a huge post about reasons, excuses, etc.  Since you are new (not new, sorry just went by post count) to this site, I will fill you in on a few details whether you care about them or not.  This site is run by 2 people.  Myself and my brother Ed (also some very devoted Brickpicker fans make the forum awesome).   I do all the programming and boring web stuff that makes things appear that will get you all happy and giddy about your one Death Star, so in the end, the only person you are really cursing at is me and I will take the responsibility fully.  The amount of time it takes to do these updates from the hundreds of thousands of listings has increased quite a bit since we added 3 new regions.  I am not going to go into details, it's boring.  When I am done with the Brick Classifieds, I hope to spend a little time refining some processes that will make it faster.  I have been away in a different country on business for the past week or so time as been limited.  Life will get back to normal this week and I have already posted that the top priority this week will be to get the August and September data live.  The site is free for you to use.  I apologize again for upsetting your life (i mean this seriously, not sarcastic).

It's hard not to be salty when posts and opinions are picked apart.  I will rescind the word vicious and replace it with meticulous.  I also got the intent, clearly your hear to help, but you would prefer noone ask about the updates any more. 

j - Don't let our responses curtail your posts.  Please post more, contribute to the site, and share with us when you make a killing reselling Lego.  I can only speak for myself as a Mod - the less I know about members, the more I realy on assumptions and past experiences from members with similar profiles.  I want nothing more than for you to have 1,000 posts in a month and be bragging about how your Brickfolio has increased by 25%.

I agree with the new lurker guy. Stop hanging around with Huw and Dr. Dave from Brickset and get the damn data live. Nobody wants to hear your excuses. Excuses are like a**holes, everyone has one. Chop. Chop. I'm holding back your allowance until this data goes live.

• Like 2

I agree with the new lurker guy. Stop hanging around with Huw and Dr. Dave from Brickset and get the damn data live. Nobody wants to hear your excuses. Excuses are like a**holes, everyone has one. Chop. Chop. I'm holding back your allowance until this data goes live.

You can redirect Jeff's allowance to my bank account for safekeeping whenever you want!